Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LSU's defense will be the issue...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

LSU's defense will be the issue...

Oct 14, 2019, 2:20 PM

LSU's defense has never been the problem and has always been violent, big and dominant but this year it's less than pedestrian. Vanderbilt, a team that managed to put up 6 points and 225 yards of offense against UGA dropped almost 40 on LSU (NOT IN THROW AWAY TIME EITHER). Yes this LSU offense looks pretty with a lot of double crossing routes but truth is I believe Alabama is going to drum this team back into the middle of the SEC. Alabama will be able to do what others aren't and that's go 4Q against an LSU team that hasn't scored but 1 TD vs Alabama since 2015.

Florida, a team that is known for it's complete train wreck at offense outgained LSU through the air, put up 450+ yards of offense in death valley, oh and had a BACKUP QB that managed that oh and by the way he sprained his knee just one week before. UF had both DE's out, CJ Henderson their best CB had just returned.

Essentially they remind me of a JT Barrett OSU offense, short routes with super athletic recievers and a defense that plays tough guy football but can be handled as the game goes on. Difference is LSU is in the SEC it's new and they're getting hyped from the media until they bring it to T town. I believe a UGA, Alabama, Clemson would all handle them in a game at their best.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's easier to just look at Bama and LSU as Oklahoma

Oct 14, 2019, 2:26 PM

but with better talent and more competent defenses. All 3 of those teams are capable of putting up 40+ on literally anyone in the country.

I've noticed that you...

Oct 14, 2019, 2:33 PM

always, and I mean ALWAYS find it necessary to defend the $EC whenever a disparaging word is said about any of them. How many points did 1-5 Vandy put up on that more competent LSU defense?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've noticed that you...

Oct 14, 2019, 2:42 PM

OU defense also gave up less yards and points vs Texas than LSU did. 200 less yards and 2 less TDs for that matter.

I like playing devils advocate. Tigernet is mostly an echo

Oct 14, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to I've noticed that you... ]

chamber with 95% of posters holding the exact same opinion because they hate ESPN and the SEC.

And FWIW I think LSU and Bama both have defenses that could be a liability. They also just happen to have two of the best offenses in the country hence my comparison to Oklahoma but with a little bit more competent defenses. Or perhaps just 2019 Oklahoma because their defense finally looks somewhat competent this year.

I think the main point is that you can't think of LSU and Bama like LSU and Bama anymore. They more closely resemble Big XII teams atm.

Re: I like playing devils advocate. Tigernet is mostly an echo

Oct 14, 2019, 3:57 PM

Actually both LSU and Alabama have two of the best passing attacks in the nation.

Strangely for both teams, neither has a great D - LSU's is 25th overall (but 40th in points per game allowed), Alabama's is 36th overall (though it allows fewer points) - and their running games are mediocre - 58th in the country for Bama, 68th overall for LSU.

To say these characteristics are not typical of what you think about either Alabama or LSU is putting it mildly. Yeah, they can fling it now...but at some point they also stopped being able to really run the football or play dominant D!

So, yeah, Tua and Joe Burrough can seriously fling it, and they have some weapons on the perimeter...but - and it's weird to ask this of these programs - do they have enough team around them?

BV's 3-2-6 is just what's needed

Oct 14, 2019, 2:28 PM

for team's living off of the slant LOL

barely slowed Texas and Florida down I agree.***

Oct 14, 2019, 2:35 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: barely slowed Texas and Florida down I agree.***

Oct 14, 2019, 2:45 PM

Both teams had their most productive offensive performances of the season vs LSU (aside from UF vs UT Martin where they had about 60 more yards). Again that's with UF having a backup QB who has a sprained knee on the road.

Re: barely slowed Texas and Florida down I agree.***

Oct 14, 2019, 4:01 PM

Sprained knee aside, the Florida offense has looked much better since the original QB went down.

Re: LSU's defense will be the issue...

Oct 14, 2019, 2:59 PM

Tua out duels Burrow, 'Bama curb stomps UGA. So you will have a 1 loss LSU, and unbeaten 'Bama. This will be the year where you better win your conference, "Bama, Clemson, OU, Ohio st or Wisconsin.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

***Trask is way better than Franks**********

Oct 14, 2019, 3:52 PM

Re: LSU's defense will be the issue...

Oct 14, 2019, 3:50 PM

LSU & Bamalama both look like incomplete teams to me. Neither is running the ball very well, Bamalama #58 rushing offense, LSU #66 rushing offense. I’d call both pass happy. Neither is producing many sacks either, both tied at #43. Makes you wonder what’s going to happen, when these 2 pass happy teams that don’t run the ball and don’t pressure the QB finally meet. And I still say that Bamalama’s schedule is softer than a tub of cool whip left outside in Phoenix in July.

On the other hand, Clemson runs the ball better than anyone in the SEC and Clemson pressures the QB more than anyone in the SEC. Look it up.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic