Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LA Times Dabo Story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

LA Times Dabo Story

Oct 5, 2019, 7:51 AM

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-10-04/clemson-dabo-swinney-ncaa-paying-players

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt like this was mostly fair to him though there are

Oct 5, 2019, 8:01 AM

A couple of jabs in there. It is at least a more complete story than what others are willing to write

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.......It may be a good thing that I haven't

Oct 5, 2019, 9:12 AM

seen that NY article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NY Times article was awful. No research, just blasting

Oct 5, 2019, 9:28 AM

Dabo for not giving KB a NC ring, and blasting Dabo for his huge salary.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LA Times Dabo Story

Oct 5, 2019, 9:18 AM

Interesting story, a lot more objective than some of the
clickbait stories calling Dabo entitled and a hypocrite
like the UNC student ignoring his university's entitlement
and hypocrisy. Commendable that Dabo is pushing education
and wanting to tie financial incentives to graduation.

This LA Times story provided Dabo with the

Oct 5, 2019, 9:25 AM

opportunity to list the many problems he sees with paying players. I agree with everything he said.

Dabo telling his story should let the average fan appreciate where his heart is on this issue. A college degree stays with you for the rest of your life. A few dollars because you sign an autograph, or someone buys a jersey with your number is not going to last very long. What do you do when you have two players with the same number? We've got a handful of those. The bottom line, less than 1% of college players make it to the NFL, and most of those have very limited careers. Once you get beyond the top rounds of the draft, the contracts signed are good, but not life changing.

So instead of paying players under the table, SEC schools

Oct 5, 2019, 12:38 PM

would be able to promise to buy lots of signed memorabilia from star players, guaranteed?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 5, 2019, 10:04 AM

But Clemson was not founded in a town of 17,000. When Clemson was founded, there was no town.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 10:44 AM

one quibble: the term "clemsoning" never referred to choking a big game away. it came from Clemson's habit of managing to lose to really bad teams, inexplicably, and sometimes looking thoroughly dominated in the process, like the game against UNC when UNC looked terrible, or that time Wake Forest ran rings around us, or the occasional loss to Duke.

Oct 5, 2019, 11:09 AM

They are just trying to make sure no more Cali players leave the state to come to Clemson.

Dabo is right, as always.

Oct 5, 2019, 11:16 AM

College sports are AMATEUR sports. If people think coaches are paid too much and that there is too much money in college football, pumping more $$$ by paying players is NOT the solution.

I'd support a minor league football league before I would support paying college athletes.

And any sports writer who references Clemsoning is DEAD TO ME!!!

GO TIGERS! GO DABO!

People forget Dabo's starting salary as a head coach...

Oct 5, 2019, 11:29 AM

lowest paid coach in the conference with incentives for winning. His salary was built on results. I'd be more apt to question someone like Muschamp even if he is making half of what Dabo is making.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For something coming out of Californica, it is actually kind

Oct 5, 2019, 11:36 AM

of lucid. That in itself is a surprise.

Oct 5, 2019, 11:46 AM

there are some solutions here, if the NCAA had any teeth and in the name of parity.

Put a cap on the amount a d1 programs can pay its coaches and eliminate endorsement deals. this would do wonders for parity.
You do not want 18-22 year old kids with too much cash, set up a trust fund and pay it to them after they graduate, insuring that it is a consistent amount between all programs and also based on how many years they stay as well as academic performance.
Allow for a compensation package paid by the athletic program to guys that suffer career ending injuries that also covers tuition through grad school and covers the extent of the injury. If a guy has a spinal injury, he should get generously paid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought the writers ending of: Dabo is busy & doesn't have to worry sbout it

Oct 5, 2019, 12:28 PM

was way too negative & unneccesary since Dabo had given him alot of his time and had expressed his sincere concern for the players well-being & betterment thru a degree. .

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2019, 1:22 PM

Just more crazy liberal news coming out of California.....they have gone totally nut over there......Go Tigers!!!!!

California and la times sure are worried about Dabo and

Oct 5, 2019, 1:47 PM

lil ol Clemson. Could it be because their 5* hs recruits now belong to us? ??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic