Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s

Mar 20, 2018, 10:45 AM

That. All though I’ll take Maurice’s or Blacks BBQ IN blackville SC anytime. Assuming it’s still open.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kansas City..visting there in 30 days & seeing WW1 & Steam Boat Museums!

Mar 20, 2018, 10:50 AM

They say WW1 Museum is one of the very best in USA...

and of course I will try a BBq plate, or two while there!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mR. bUlB, I always pictured you as...

Mar 20, 2018, 6:54 PM

A motorboating enthusiast.

??

~JKB

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's their mustard sauce?***

Mar 20, 2018, 10:56 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: How's their mustard sauce?***

Mar 20, 2018, 11:07 AM

My friend's dad makes the best mustard sauce I've personally ever had. I'll put it on any kind of meat. He promised to leave me a copy of his recipe after he is gone, and he says that there are several folks that will get a copy. His mustard sauce is just simply awesome, and I will give him $30 bucks for a gallon of it this weekend....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s

Mar 20, 2018, 10:59 AM

Hmmm :), some friends of mine and myself will be putting a 120 lb pig over the pit this weekend before the summer heat. That will give us about 15-20 lbs each for the summer, after we have eaten our fill with some cold beer.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they are known for their BBQ then they're not known for

Mar 20, 2018, 11:04 AM

anything. That joke of what they call BBQ is a load of shyatt. I'd rather just eat my shoe than Kansas City BBQ.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Scott's in Hemingway is still my favorite***

Mar 20, 2018, 11:16 AM

Which one, the one Kansas or the one in Missouri?***

Mar 20, 2018, 11:40 AM

"Kansas City BBQ"

Mar 20, 2018, 11:46 AM

You mean dunseasoned meat swimming in ketchup and molasses?

Ew.

"Kansas City BBQ" is the reason why 99% of the "bbq sauce" at grocery stores and food chains is this awful brown sugary ketchup sauce. Gross.

I'll stick to Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.

Re: "Kansas City BBQ"

Mar 20, 2018, 9:30 PM

Amen to the Carolina, Tenn, and Tx Q. I've also found a good place or two in Ga.

Mar 20, 2018, 1:01 PM

Mustard bbq is gross. Eastern NC vinegar base is the best. KC bbq is all right. They like it sliced with burnt ends and a thicker sauce ( think KC masterpiece)

Mustard BBQ sauce is not gross. I can eat them all, but

Mar 20, 2018, 1:09 PM

mustard with a good shot of vinegar in it is still the best!! KC Masterpiece is nothing special!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I grew up in NC, near Wilson had a lot of the vinegar based.

Mar 20, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s ]

I actually prefer the mustard based sauce.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too ... lived in Raleigh area for 20 years. Hate vinegar

Mar 20, 2018, 4:36 PM

I won't touch "Down East North Carolina BBQ" anymore. The vinegar and peppers are disgusting to me.

There are several places in Raleigh and surrounding area that sell good smoked pork without marinading it and mopping it with vinegar.

I like "City BBQ" and "Danny's BBQ" in Cary.

Both are a lot like "The Smokin Pig" near Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s ]

I'm a SC boy, but agree on the mustard sauce. I actually like it ok...but eastern NC has the best sauce hands...its not even really close.

Mar 20, 2018, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s ]

Mustard is the original BBQ sauce.

South Carolina was among the first states to really standardize "American BBQ" thanks to the wave of German immigrants that came here. Pork is big in German cuisines and open roasted fires using wood smoke for flavor and preservation was the way to prepare it in Das Mutterland. Mustard was also a huge staple in German cuisine.

So when the Germans came to South Carolina in the 1700's (well before they went to Texas), they brought their mustard sauces and open fire pork roasts with them. American BBQ was born.

North Carolina came along at the same, however North Carolina's bbq development was different. They developed it through the British, who learned how to indirectly roast hogs over pit fires through interactions with native Carribean people who cooked meat on wooden structures called "barbacoa". The vinegar sauce comes from Great Britain. The British who were brought Barbacoa to North Carolina would smother it in their famous British Tart Sauce, which was a thin vinegar sauce that turned into North Carolina style vinegar sauce.

Texas, KC, and Tennessee/Memphis came much later. While they are still good, Carolina style (mustard or Vinegar) was first.

Mar 20, 2018, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s ]

I mean if you're just anti-mustard in general, I can kinda maybe understand.. but good mustard sauce BBQ, the kind you'll find in hole-in-the-wall places in tiny upstate SC towns, is a thing of beauty. It's been years since I've had it myself but I crave it constantly, to the point that I've seriously considered opening an SC-style BBQ joint up here in Minnesota. Lots of Germans up here.. I bet it'd go over well.

NC BBQ is fine, but KC style doesn't do it for me at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vinegar based bbq is not unique to NC...

Mar 20, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Kansas City is known for their barbecue. So there’s ]

it's prevalent throughout the Pee Dee region, and was likely started in SC. Not sure how NC was able to convince so many people it's "Eastern NC style" 'que.

However, Mustard-based BBQ started in the midlands area of SC and was created by German and Swiss-German settlers of the area. It used to be that you could tell the style of BBQ based on the name. If the restaurant had a German name, it would have mustard bbq.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^This^^

Mar 20, 2018, 4:43 PM

There was an old man in the fifties with a garage on S Hwy 52 in Flo town.
Worked on cars in the front and cooked hogs in the back.
He made a killing off yankees' cars and their stomachs while travelling through before I-95 came along.
His vinegar sauce is still the stuff of legend in certain circles.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

KC Joe's

Mar 20, 2018, 2:49 PM

is worth the trip/wait. Over in KC, Kansas in a gas station. The Z-Man there is a beautiful thing.

Jack Stack in KC is great too.

I love East NC vinegar the best, but give KC its due.

Kansas City is still open.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Joes of Kansas City (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) is great

Mar 20, 2018, 9:05 PM

if you ever get to KC.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic