Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
KJ McDaniels
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

KJ McDaniels

Feb 24, 2020, 11:25 AM

I realize the NBA is a highly competive league without a ton of roster space to go around but... How is a 27 year old with this stat line: 35.0 points, 13.5 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 3.4 blocks and 1.4 steals in an overseas pro league NOT on an NBA roster? smh

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: KJ McDaniels

Feb 24, 2020, 12:20 PM

Simply because he can't get those stats against the dudes in the NBA

If i remember correctly, KJ's biggest liability is his size

Feb 24, 2020, 1:00 PM

he's a tweener. He's got the size of a PG or a SG but his play is more akin to that of a Small Forward. When you get him on the floor he plays alot bigger than his measurables. But NBA teams i think shy away from him b/c they don't think he can guard a 6-9 SF in the post. Clemsons best players have all been tweeners b/c thats who we can recruit and get. TMAc, Blossomgame, McDaniels, Booker, Ed Scott were all guys who didn't fit the prototypical hypothetical guidelines for their positions.

Feb 24, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: KJ McDaniels ]

Of course he can't get those stats in the NBA. It seems that his shooting has improved slightly, however, and he would make a solid 2nd unit utility guy is all I'm getting at.

Feb 24, 2020, 12:47 PM

Because this happens in overseas pro ball

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/12/south-korean-basketball-league-ousts-foreign-players-for-being-too-tall-some-attempt-shrinkage/

null

If his mother had kept her mouth shut in Philly he would

Feb 24, 2020, 12:50 PM

have gotten a HUUUUUGE contract(in the neighborhood of 4 years/60 million) after his rookie year, she didn't and he got shipped off to Houston and buried on their bench and an untimely injury closed his window

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If his mother had kept her mouth shut in Philly he would

Feb 24, 2020, 1:00 PM

Can you elaborate on the details of his mother's interference

When she wasn't at his games making an ### of herself, she

Feb 24, 2020, 2:55 PM

was tweeting about the team tanking...Duh, that's why KJ was getting his showcase, if she could have #### he would have gotten an attractive offer in the summer, she didn't and the GM shipped him off to a team with a glut of talent at the 2 positions he could play

That's revisionist history

Feb 24, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to If his mother had kept her mouth shut in Philly he would ]

He had an ok start to his career in PHI, but he was far from spectacular. With PHI, he averaged 25.4 minutes and 9.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 0.8 steals, and 1.3 blocks per game.

Those are solid stats at first glance, but if you dig deeper the advanced metrics are quite poor. He shot just 29% from 3 and 39.9% overall. He also turned the ball over like crazy with a horrendous 17.9% turnover rate (for comparison, Trae Young, who leads the NBA this year with 4.9 turnovers per game, has a turnover rate of 16.5%). His PER was just 10.8, his offenisve win shares was -0.8, his offensive box plus/minus was -3.7, and his overall VORP (Value Over Replacement Player) was -0.2.

Basically, in the only time KJ got extended playing time in his career, he was a decent defender, but he was also a complete liability offensively to the point that he was, by advanced metrics, a very below average player. He couldn't shoot from 3 and he turned the ball over at one of the highest rates in the league, which is the same reason he didn't get to play much for HOU.

His mom being a distraction didn't help, but his lack of an offensive game was the main reason he never stuck in the NBA. And no, 4 years/60 million was never on the table for a guy who started 15 games for a team that finished 18-64. There's a reason the best trade that PHI could get for him was Isaac Canaan (a pg who was playing as much in the G-League as in the NBA) and a 2nd round pick.

Around the All-Star break there were several NBA talking

Feb 24, 2020, 2:58 PM

heads talking about the big deal he was playing himself into, he was traded to a team that didn't want him/couldn't use him correctly, had an untimely injury right before the playoffs and was lucky to get a second contract...Nothing I said was inaccurate

Feb 24, 2020, 2:35 PM

Phillipines is a really poor league.

It was an industrial league and may still be.

Not sure how you'd end up there if you could get a spot anywhere better because the pay is poor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2020, 3:40 PM

I'm a Rockets fan living in Houston. When KJ was here, I can't put my finger on it but there is something "off" about him. His basketball IQ was very low and he had a hard time figuring out what to do unless it was scrub time and everything was centered around him. Even then he did not look very good at all.

I was excited when they got him, but that went away pretty quickly after seeing him in action.

Obviously, his mother didn't help the situation.

He should have stayed his SR year and worked on his ball

Feb 24, 2020, 4:15 PM

handling because it was pretty apparent he wasn't going to play much SF in the Association

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic