Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Justyn Ross
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Justyn Ross

Jan 18, 2018, 10:55 PM

I used to feel very confident about us landing him, but I feel less confident now. He seems like he wants to stay in state. Would love to get him he would add great depth and would be another lanky WR. Thoughts?

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Justyn Ross

Jan 18, 2018, 11:11 PM

If he wants to be a Tiger, great, if he wants to go else where, we will be great without him. The only players we need, are the ones that really want to be at Clemson!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Justyn Ross

Jan 18, 2018, 11:24 PM

That’s right! If a guy isn’t All In then he doesn’t need to be here!

We know this. The question is not whether we want players

Jan 18, 2018, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Justyn Ross ]

who want to be here. The question is whether Ross is one of those people. If he doesn't want to be here, he shouldn't be here. Got it. The question is about whether he wants to be here. Stay on topic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the question is whether he wants to be here, then

Jan 19, 2018, 9:08 AM

that's a short-lived topic because how in the he!l would any of us know? He's the only one who can answer that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'd be hard for me to turn down Bama seeing that riddley

Jan 19, 2018, 7:59 AM

is going to the NFL. At Clemson he'd be behind Higgins until he graduated or left for the NFL. At Bama he plays next year. But hey, we'll take him if he wants to come.

Doubt depth is a big issue with him b/c at bama.......

Jan 19, 2018, 8:19 AM

he'd be behind jeudy & Ruggs (both True FR had significant snaps/PT in national title).

IMO bama showed what they're capable of using WRs when they put Tugaviola in & I'm under the assumption he's now the starter next year.

And while i don't mean this as a knock on KB, but WR production/touches go down since he's a "run first" dual threat QB w/ so-so passing ability.........it could affect Ross's decision short term even though 2019 & beyond we'd be back to a DW4 type offense.

I don't think any of that really matters

Jan 19, 2018, 9:10 AM

And you are off on KB

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

again...I'm not knocking what KB did this year.......

Jan 19, 2018, 10:39 AM

to follow DW4 and get us to the playoffs was a tremendous feat for him to do, BUT....

the WRs with him in don't get the touches/yards/production that they would get with a DW4/pass first QB.

Deon Cain had 38 catches for 724 yards as a "non featured WR"
RR McCloud had 49 catches for 472 yards as a "non featured WR"

Cain had 52 catches for 659 yards as a "featured WR"
RR McCloud had 46 catches for 502 yards as a "featured WR"

Now i realize the offense was and SHOULD have been catered to KB's strength's/abilities, but KB didn't "activate" our WRs to their capabilities and while he should improve this year he does have limitations in the pass game. I'm also not advocating for another QB yet (b/c that's hard to do seeing where he took us this year), but passing is the weakness of his game which does and will hurt WR production.

Re: Doubt depth is a big issue with him b/c at bama.......

Jan 19, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Doubt depth is a big issue with him b/c at bama....... ]

This. I doubt our receivers are very happy right now. We go from gun slingers Tajh Boyd and DW4 and all of sudden we are a run first team with very little pass production.

Do you people think about the stuff you post?

Jan 19, 2018, 9:33 AM

KB was
23/34 272 yrs with 10 rush attempts vs scar

23/29 for 252 yrds with 9 rushing attempts vs miami

If the coaches decide to throw the ball they will.

Bama has Always been a run 1st team.

Clemson has hunter, tee, and Amari on the team already... tell and rodgers for 2 more years. Ross might not even see the field until KB is gone...who is on the team to replace KB?

If ross goes to bama it will have very little to do with the 2017 season.

I think ross is bama bound simply due to bama's historic recruiting record. They wait and pull top talent on signing day. They rarely miss on the top recruit in their state.

I think bama is putting the bull rush on ross and will get him by Feb 5th.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Do you people think about the stuff you post?

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 AM

I believe you are the one that needs to think about what they say. Not knocking on KB, but the fact is we went from a top 10 passing offense to the 61st ranked passing offense in the country last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes..this ..this post right here ^^^

Jan 19, 2018, 10:36 AM

Good example.

In a thread about a WR choosing clemson over bama and specifically a post about clemson's offense... you... post that clemson is 61st in 2017 passing offense

Ok..I duuno where your stats came from but according to

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

Clemson was the 39th passing offense...
Bama was 77th.

So by using 2017 passing rankings the WR would choose Clemson.

So, I gotta ask myself.. are these posts about the recruiting of a WR or just more backsided whiny posts about the sugar bowl.

Re: Yes..this ..this post right here ^^^

Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 AM

You are now my favorite Tnet poster.

Re: Yes..this ..this post right here ^^^

Jan 19, 2018, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Yes..this ..this post right here ^^^ ]

Yeah not according to the NCAA official stats we were not. We were exactly where he said we were #61. ESPN ranks it by total yards passing. Tigers played 14 games where most Bowl teams only played 13 and many others only played 12. NCAA ranks it by passing yards per game and Tigers rank 61st at 235.5 yards per game.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p2

Thank you for the link. . it really doesn't matter

Jan 19, 2018, 12:21 PM

They both played 14 games, and on the ncaa rankings bama is still about 30 spots below clemson

So no way the WR chooses bama's pathetic passing offense over clemson's

Re: Thank you for the link. . it really doesn't matter

Jan 19, 2018, 12:39 PM

I get what you're saying, but Bama's season-long passing stats don't matter anymore because of what happened in the National Championship. In one half, in the National Championship game, Tua Tagovailoa came in as a reserve and passed for more yards (166) than Jalen Hurts averaged per game (158, not including the first half of the Natty, where he passed for just 21 yards). It's clear that Bama now has a dangerous downfield throwing threat, so there's plenty of reason for WRs to be bullish about playing there.

If bama's 2017 rankings don't matter then neither do

Jan 19, 2018, 1:06 PM

Clemson's.

Ever heard of Kenny thrill?

Again, bama has never had a problem getting top rated wrs no matter who their qb was or their offense.

if ross goes to bama it will have nothing to do with the sugar bowl or nc game, or the 2017 season.

Re: If bama's 2017 rankings don't matter then neither do

Jan 19, 2018, 2:35 PM

I disagree there since the Clemson QB picture isn't quite as clear. Alabama appears to have their guy in Tua, who can sling it. Clemson has a run-first QB who may get surpassed by one of the two young QBs on the roster, but we don't know yet. Dabo has shown a preference to stick with the older guy until his hand is forced. If we knew Clemson's QB was going to be Hunter Johnson or Trevor Lawrence, I'd agree with you 100%.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Do you people think about the stuff you post? ]

KB also threw for under 200 yards 7 times, including both losses (granted, he was injured vs Syracuse), and 5 other close games. He only had one 300 yard game. KB won us some big games and I believe exceeded all expectations, but his style isn't conducive to throwing the ball downfield which results in a negative impact to the #WRU mantra.

Exactly.

Jan 19, 2018, 12:44 PM

There's really no way to spin it as anything else.

We threw the ball 45% of the time in 2017 vs 52% in 2016. We also averaged 6.5 fewer plays per game and 8.5 fewer passing attempts per game. We ran a completely different offense in 2017 with KB at QB. Among other things, it was a much slower tempo offense that featured a lot more running.

And not only did our WRs catch fewer passes, but the yards per catch dropped significantly. Cain, in particularly, went from 19.1 yards per catch to 12.7.

Clemson had that mantra because they recruit

Jan 19, 2018, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Do you people think about the stuff you post? ]

Top rated wrs and put a lot of wrs in the nfl.

Clemson is still getting top rated wrs and 2 just left for the nfl. We'll see how they do.

Bama has done the same and they have been run 1st play d for as long as saban has been there.

Kb's style is whatever the coaches decide. If they call more passing plays he will pass more.

Taj boyd was asked to drop 50 points on nc state because clemson needed to put 50 points up to beat nc state

Watson was asked to drop 35 on bama because clemson needed 35 to beat bama.

Maybe, just mabye..dabo didn't ask kb to throw more because he didn't think it was necessary.

Kb is just 1 dude..he does not win or lose football games.

I'm just a 2 bit nobody, rec, baseball coach but I will tell you the 1 thing I know for sure and for certain..... it is always the coaches fault. Players win games, coaches lose games and the parents in the stands always seem to know everything.

Re: Clemson had that mantra because they recruit

Jan 19, 2018, 3:02 PM

What you see as "Maybe, just mabye..dabo didn't ask kb to throw more because he didn't think it was necessary." I see as "Maybe, just maybe Dabo didn't ask KB to throw more because he didn't think he could do it."

Jan 19, 2018, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Do you people think about the stuff you post? ]

You do realize he averaged 28 pass attempts a game, right? We threw the ball a lot every game, so I’m not sure why you listed the stats from those games like they were something special. Those were his best games of the year, along with the Louisville game. Against power 5 teams, he only had 2 other games where he threw for at least 200 yards (vs WF he had 200 yards and vs GT he had 207). He had 7 games under 200 yards passing, NINE games under 210 yards passing. He had 9 passing tds against power 5 teams in 12 games.

There’s a lot more stats that support what everyone else is saying in this thread than the two games you listed where KB had the games of his life (and still didn’t even throw for 300 yards or 3+ tds). It’s a FACT the clemson passing offense suffered tremendously last year with KB at qb, and if you don’t think hs receivers look at that you’re crazy.

Bama bound***

Jan 19, 2018, 8:26 AM

If it comes down to scholarship numbers I think we need

Jan 19, 2018, 8:50 AM

... other positions a lot more.

If he chooses Clemson he will be a great addition to a crowded WR corps.

Personally, I think we have greater needs elsewhere with the available spots.

All this said, l’d love to see him in Orange!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The championship game unfortunately showed him

Jan 19, 2018, 9:14 AM

Bama has someone who can actually pass now.

Bamya has never had trouble getting high rated wrs

Jan 19, 2018, 9:18 AM

Nc game did not change that

Re: The championship game unfortunately showed him

Jan 19, 2018, 6:09 PM [ in reply to The championship game unfortunately showed him ]

> Bama has someone who can actually pass now.

And Bama also has a new OC ....again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic