Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

Feb 19, 2019, 10:52 AM

I am not a big reader of the discussion boards but still .. the constant harping on recruitment, 5*'s and rankings is an intriguing.
Going back to 2018 WR rankings, Ross was ranked ~15 ish and Rondale Moore (Purdue) was ~20 plus. These 2 guys made more news last year than tje top 10 combined. Post CFB, media is all about how to recruit the next "Ross". Saban is quoted as saying how dissapointed he was about missing on Ross. Really !! They got Waddle who is ranked higher. Even Kendrick is ranked higher and Dawgs and Tide did not recruit him hard. Just saying.

Long and short there is something about the glitz and glamor of *ratings. Schools get sucked up in these and miss out on priorities. I have heard several times about Dabo's cultural fit, postional needs and other fancy jargons and still dont understand what exactly it is. However it works and thats all that matters. There are 5 things that matters in career or outcomes:
1) directional strength within you
2) Resources one has within
3) Schooling and education (football coaching and true education)
4) support you get, and
5) ability to overcome resistance
The rest (or outcome) is a consequence.
I think Dabo realizes 1 and 2 are part of rankings, and 3-5 is scouting assessment.
That's how "Ross"'s are discovered are created. Someday other schools will figure this out or hopefully NOT.

PS: a humbled Tiger fan from the Ken Hatfield days :(

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

Feb 19, 2019, 11:09 AM

I agree with your overall idea but let's not pretend that Ross was some unheralded gem that Dabo discovered.

Every single program in the country who thought they had a shot with him, gave him an offer.

Whether a scouting service has him as the #15 WR or the #1 is not a big difference.

Clemson won the battle for him for many reasons, but I don't see his recruitment as Dabo having some special talent for finding lower ranked gems.

Re: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

Feb 19, 2019, 12:58 PM

Ageed, he was the #1 ranked player in Alabama

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we seem to have a better scouting hit rate than almost

Mar 27, 2019, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking ]

Any other team. Even with highly rated guys.

I wouldn't call it a "scouting hit rate"

Mar 27, 2019, 9:12 AM

It's more like Dabo and Co. are just better at developing players than anyone else in the country. That's why we have two of the last three national championships, that's why guys like Hunter Renfrow can walk on and contribute like 5-stars are expected to.

If Dabo wants a guy, that's a hit right off the bat. I couldn't care less how many stars a kid has. I used to, but I learned.

The concept which seems to elude you has been around...

Feb 19, 2019, 1:35 PM

for a long while now. "Birds of a feather...," was how the old folks explained it to me as a child but during my late teens I came across something a little older and perhaps even a bit more trustworthy.

KJV 2 Corinthians 6

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

I doubt Dabo cares about ranking as much as credentials, investigation and interview with and without player's family. He evaluates talent including potential, character which reflects in player's work ethic and how he treats others and skill which is developed talent.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The concept which seems to elude you has been around...

Mar 27, 2019, 2:39 AM

Well put, and I agree 100 percent, this s one of the best hidden post I ave found in a long time!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Which rankings are you referring to?

Mar 27, 2019, 9:27 AM

Ross was the #2 ranked WR and #15 overall player in the country

He was #7 on the Composite.

Mar 27, 2019, 9:34 AM

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=WR

I put the most stock in Rivals rankings

Mar 27, 2019, 11:44 AM

ESPN rankings are garbage, and are included as a part of the composite

I just use the Composite, RIVALS was busted rating someone

Mar 27, 2019, 11:59 AM

that didn't exist a 3 star. All 3 services have their bias' and Faults,using the Composite at least averages those out.

Re: I just use the Composite, RIVALS was busted rating someone

Mar 27, 2019, 12:12 PM

This is true. They all have their flaws

Re: I put the most stock in Rivals rankings

Mar 27, 2019, 12:01 PM [ in reply to I put the most stock in Rivals rankings ]

I just compared the 2018 ESPN rankings to the Rivals rankings and 6 players were top 10 in both lists.

ESPN Rivals
(1) Fields (2)
(2) Lawrence (1)
(3) Anoma (7)
(4) Thomas (5)
(5) Surtain (8)
(6) Henry (26)
(7) Parsons (6)
(8) Shorter (18)
(9) Campbell (25)
(10)Marshall (27)

That's not that far off, all of the ESPN top 10 are still a 5-star in Rivals. Is the reason that they are garbage, but because Fields was ranked ahead of Lawrence (which I agree is ridiculous)?

It's not that simple...

Mar 27, 2019, 12:16 PM

ESPN just doesn't have the manpower & resources dedicated to recruiting that Rivals and 24/7 do. ESPN tends to show more bias than the other two as well, although none of the 3 are perfect

Re: He was #7 on the Composite.

Mar 27, 2019, 12:06 PM [ in reply to He was #7 on the Composite. ]

Justyn ross was slightly underrated in the recruitment rankings but idk where people get this idea that Clemson is just a rag tag bunch of players nobody wanted. Trevor Lawrence is the HIGHEST RATED QB IN THE HISTORY OF RECRUIT RANKINGS and the 6TH highest rated player period. We recruit 5 stars and high ranked 4 stars as well as anybody not named Alabama and Ohio State. Talent does win championships thats unavoidable. If you look at the top 10 teams its safe to assume they probably are usually in the top 10 recruit rankings minus Texas A&M. (Idk how they consistently waste their talent) but where we do excell is player development. We get more out of our players than any staff in the country. The only problem with that is for many of our players. They don't have a considerable room for improvement on the NFL lvl but thats not the worst problem to have in my opinion.

Believe me, Saban wanted Ross.

Mar 27, 2019, 12:11 PM

He also wants EJ Williams,Ross' former team mate,just like Clemson does.

https://247sports.com/Player/EJ-Williams-46049986/

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic