Topic: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 19, 2019 1:42 PM by: ClemsonTiger1988®
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 3  

Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

[4]
Posted: Feb 19, 2019 10:52 AM

I am not a big reader of the discussion boards but still .. the constant harping on recruitment, 5*'s and rankings is an intriguing.
Going back to 2018 WR rankings, Ross was ranked ~15 ish and Rondale Moore (Purdue) was ~20 plus. These 2 guys made more news last year than tje top 10 combined. Post CFB, media is all about how to recruit the next "Ross". Saban is quoted as saying how dissapointed he was about missing on Ross. Really !! They got Waddle who is ranked higher. Even Kendrick is ranked higher and Dawgs and Tide did not recruit him hard. Just saying.

Long and short there is something about the glitz and glamor of *ratings. Schools get sucked up in these and miss out on priorities. I have heard several times about Dabo's cultural fit, postional needs and other fancy jargons and still dont understand what exactly it is. However it works and thats all that matters. There are 5 things that matters in career or outcomes:
1) directional strength within you
2) Resources one has within
3) Schooling and education (football coaching and true education)
4) support you get, and
5) ability to overcome resistance
The rest (or outcome) is a consequence.
I think Dabo realizes 1 and 2 are part of rankings, and 3-5 is scouting assessment.
That's how "Ross"'s are discovered are created. Someday other schools will figure this out or hopefully NOT.

PS: a humbled Tiger fan from the Ken Hatfield days :(

Re: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

[1]
Posted: Feb 19, 2019 11:09 AM

I agree with your overall idea but let's not pretend that Ross was some unheralded gem that Dabo discovered.

Every single program in the country who thought they had a shot with him, gave him an offer.

Whether a scouting service has him as the #15 WR or the #1 is not a big difference.

Clemson won the battle for him for many reasons, but I don't see his recruitment as Dabo having some special talent for finding lower ranked gems.

Re: Justyn Ross / 2018 WR Rankings & 2019 Clemson ranking

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 12:58 PM

Ageed, he was the #1 ranked player in Alabama

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

The concept which seems to elude you has been around...

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 1:35 PM

for a long while now. "Birds of a feather...," was how the old folks explained it to me as a child but during my late teens I came across something a little older and perhaps even a bit more trustworthy.

KJV 2 Corinthians 6

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

I doubt Dabo cares about ranking as much as credentials, investigation and interview with and without player's family. He evaluates talent including potential, character which reflects in player's work ethic and how he treats others and skill which is developed talent.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Replies: 3  
[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
1122 people have read this post