Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just heard Dabo on siriusxm.. class next year will only be 9-10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Just heard Dabo on siriusxm.. class next year will only be 9-10

Feb 1, 2017, 4:22 PM

plus the 2-3 juniors that might declare early. With 4 spots already filled, you better speak up now if you want to be a Clemson Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

With so much momentum, it sucks we can't have a huge

Feb 1, 2017, 4:33 PM

class next year.

It's great in what we're doing and how we're able to have small classes. I'm just saying I wish 2018 was our need for a big class rather than 2019. Not that our brand is going anywhere, but the iron has just never been hotter than right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With so much momentum, it sucks we can't have a huge

Feb 1, 2017, 4:49 PM

I don't think he's including players who could be leaving early.

Re: Just heard Dabo on siriusxm.. class next year will only be 9-10

Feb 1, 2017, 4:37 PM

You mean 10 plus the ones we already have committed? So 14-15?

He said we have room for 10 in the class.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:40 PM

He was reinforcing another small class and mentioned it would be smaller. Pretty sure he meant 10 total (plus juniors declaring)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yeah, it will end up being at least 14. Still tiny.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:41 PM

Like extremely tiny.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:37 PM

Bad timing. We won't be able to capitalize on the National Championship as well as we could have. Not all players will hit. Taking 10 a year after taking 14 is going to make us seriously young in 2 years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 4:39 PM

Is this table current?

http://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

If so, looks like we have 1 more in the pocket, no?

As long as we reel in Trevor Lawrence

Feb 1, 2017, 4:41 PM

We could sign only 1 and I'd be happy. That dude is gonna be an all time great.

No problem...Six 5 stars and four 4 stars and we're set.***

Feb 1, 2017, 4:44 PM

Feb 1, 2017, 4:48 PM

2019 will be a fairly large class. Dabo is forming by those relationships now. It's all perfect timing.

Somebody reassure me.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:49 PM

I have a hard time believing that this will not bite us in the ### at some point.

Re: Somebody reassure me.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:51 PM

The reason it's small is because we lose very few next year. They are either freshmen or sophomores now. Which means we have a very young team that just won the natty . That is a good thing.

Feb 1, 2017, 4:59 PM

Agreed with young, and if this is correct, indicates that:

http://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

Looking at this, its evident where some of the constraints are, legacy schollies, and dually punter schollies.

2016 National Champions! Just think if we didn't have all

Feb 1, 2017, 8:16 PM

those constraints you are talking about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Somebody reassure me. ]

It's all about managing redshirts properly. Remember that we redshirted 12 guys last year. Assuming we redshirt 5-6 guys from this small class that means we will have roughly 21 freshmen on our team this year. In 2017, we will have 5 guys to include in that freshman class which I'm guessing will be closer to 15 than 10 after the early departures. The sky isn't falling and we're getting top notch talent.

if you have a stable program and RS a significant # every

Feb 1, 2017, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Somebody reassure me. ]

year your average class should be 17--- 5x17 = 85. So if we have a class of 14 and then say a class of 12 next year that's 3 below avg this year and 5 next year. That's 8(combined) below the avg of 17 which means we could possibly bring in 25 the next or it may work out to be a class of 22 one year and 20 the following. Unless there are mass defections, the 25 classes are and should be the aberration, not the other way around. There are countless other schools that go about this the wrong way. Stanford does it like Clemson, I'm sure there may be a few others. It's the right way to do it.

Re: if you have a stable program and RS a significant # every

Feb 1, 2017, 5:39 PM

The average should be 22/23 a year, that would allow a red shirt management count fluctuating b/w 3-7 a year -

Still not sure why we continually have the smaller classes while UA, OSU, and others consistently bring in the 25 count classes - ?

They must expect ~2 extra players a year departing for various reasons -

They make players that don't produce transfer

Feb 1, 2017, 5:56 PM

It's openly talked about with Tennessee on their boards

The average should not be 22/23-- that's 88-92 schollies

Feb 3, 2017, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: if you have a stable program and RS a significant # every ]

without counting a RS class which is usually 10-15 guys. So even if you don't like my 17 avg. Take 10 off the 85 for RSs and that is 18.75/yr avg. Take 15 guys off and that's 17.5 avg

Next years class is as small as Williams ??***

Feb 1, 2017, 5:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 5:58 PM

I'm actually thinking the real number will be closer to 18-19.

Why? We lose 10 seniors. Let's assume there will be the usual early entrees into the NFL draft. Just off the top of my head some really likely candidates include Deon Cain, Christian Wilkins, Clellin Ferrell, and Kendall Joseph. There will probably also be a surprise guy or two who surges to the top; there almost always is.

Then let's go to the redshirt juniors, the guys who are going to graduate after four years. Dabo won't run a guy off...but he also won't carry a guy for a fifth year after that guy has graduated, if the guy's not in a position to make the 2-deep. We'll see some movement there as well...possibles would include RB Adam Choice, WR Trevion Thompson, DT/DE Jabril Robinson, and DE Chris Register. I'd personally also expect us to lose a QB or two to transfer. The real irony here is that these are not bad football players, at all - these are guys who have seen extensive snaps for Clemson and have played and produced when called upon. It just gives you an idea how loaded Clemson is right now, as a program.

That will chew about 8-9 names off the 28 juniors on the list...which means Clemson will then be in position to sign 20 or so in 2019...which will probably becomes 24 or so, again, when you look at attrition and early entrees, so 2019 will likely be our first big class (by Clemson standards, anyhow, most SEC programs sign 25+ every year) in quite awhile.

Feb 1, 2017, 6:27 PM

Obviously I don't have any more idea than the next fan, but I think at most 3 leave early barring a huge season. Christian Wilkins could very well be positioned for a first rounder next season, and could go. With the flashes we gave seen, Cain, now being the #1 guy might have that season as well, ad possibly Bryant. That kid when healthy has a huge upside, and could definitely make moves. Outside of that I don't see the polish quite there yet, although Hunter will be on an NFL roster one way or the other any time he decides to come out. That said I definitely see him as a 4 year guy. Either way, our roster management is fine, and it suprises me that people still tend to question what the coaches do. The 5 heart/ legacy comments crack me up. Last I checked, both Davis kids made plays last year when subbed in, provided decent depth, and also were pretty good on special teams. Much like a whole lot of guys you recruit. That s all you can ask for, and our coaches seem as if they have hit alot more than they have missed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2017, 8:53 PM

Hopefully some guys will move on after next year for more playing time at a small school

Transfers/Graduate

Chris Register
Jabril Robinson
Judah Davis
J.D. Davis
Alex Spence
Sterling Johnson
Trevion Thompson
Denzel Johnson
Amir Trapp
Shadell Bell depending how his transition at TE goes
Kelly Bryant and Tucker Israel depending on how the QB battle goes

NFL

Christian Wilkins
Mitch Hyatt
Deon Cain
Hunter Renfrow
Clelin Ferrell

We have GOT to correct this...

Feb 3, 2017, 10:42 AM

we're never going anywhere with this small number elite caliber, high retention, quality character thing Dabo has going. :)

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic