Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's overdue but the playoff should obviously be eight teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,754

It's overdue but the playoff should obviously be eight teams

Oct 28, 2019, 9:49 AM

It means more money for the conferences, universities, networks and advertisers. Just make it the power five conference winners plus three. Sometimes the answer is so obvious yet nothing gets done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You wrong colonel sanders

Oct 28, 2019, 9:51 AM

Not enough money. There was a look in window to revise to 8 teams recently and the money wasn’t there. Going from 4 to 8 is barely any additional network revenue currently. Until that revenue is 1.5x or more 8 isn’t happening.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's overdue but the playoff should obviously be eight teams

Oct 28, 2019, 10:59 AM

Pretty difficult to say it’s overdue since this will be just the 6th season with the CFP. If it does go to 8 and players are making $100k+ for NIL on top of scholarships I believe I will just show myself to the door because there won’t be any difference between the NFL and college football. That seems to be what everybody in the media wants. Then it won’t be long before you get your first 3 loss National Champion and everybody will look around and realize they’ve ruined the best sport ever made.

Oct 28, 2019, 11:20 AM

Post of the month Calhoun2.! And if Dabo is true to his word Clemson will not have Dabo as its HC. It’s quite possible that BV will follow him. These idiots we call Senators and Representatives have no idea what damage these pay for image, likeness, autographs etc.. will do to college football. If the pay for play or for any other reason I am Done with college football. Idk why any state would want to follow the state of California.

A state by the way who has over a 60% approval to break away from the United States. They will be know as Calit or something similar to that name. Texas is looking at doing the same. That would really affect college sports across the board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 11:06 AM

I don't get why people feel this is so badly needed. Last season this would've meant having 10-3 Washington, 12-1 Ohio State(I can see an argument for this one) along with UCF, 2 loss Georgia, and 2 loss Michigan based on the final CFP rankings. Why such a need to see Washington, Georgia, and Michigan in there?

Oct 28, 2019, 11:45 AM

Since the committee has gotten it right every year, why expand?

There aren't 8 team right now that REALLY have a chance to win it.

I would only agree to it if they made the first round a home

Oct 28, 2019, 11:58 AM

game for the higher seeded teams. But then the CFP doesn't get to keep all of the money and they won't like that.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:04 PM

We already have a quarter-final round with about 20 teams based on semi-regional placement.

It is called the conference championship game. Realistically, you may have more than 8 teams with a *shot* at the four semi-final spaces - like '15 UNC or '17 Miami.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:04 PM

*10 teams

Every other season there may have been a #5 team that was

Oct 28, 2019, 12:11 PM

worthy of the playoff. 6, 7, and 8 would've gotten destroyed. It just so happens this year we have about a top 12-14 that could make things interesting. That said, there's a lot of football left to be played and some of those teams are going to lose. UGA, OK, and Wisc, here's looking at you. And only Wisc lost to a better team.

Part of the difficulty in making the playoff is not losing to the wrong team at the wrong time. Hand in hand with that is the task of getting up every single week. 2 and 3 loss teams don't belong in the playoff and that's what you're going to get if it goes to 8.

4 is perfect. Would there be near as much interest

Oct 28, 2019, 12:15 PM

in regular season if there were 8?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much more interest

Oct 28, 2019, 3:21 PM

more teams involved, more fans and interest from all parts of country. 8, then, makes even more sense now that you bring this up.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:22 PM

So you're saying if the Coastal Division champion (who may very well have 4 or 5 losses on the season) beats Clemson in the ACC Championship Game this year, then they should be in the playoff. The solution is that obvious?

The "solution" to me is don't fix what isn't broken. College football has the best regular season in sports. The more you add to the playoff, the more you exponentially damage that regular season.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:44 PM

Yes. Bama needs to be seeded with an easy first round win.
Of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That's way too simple for

Oct 28, 2019, 3:20 PM

debate and implementation!

Oct 28, 2019, 3:26 PM

4 teams is the best. It exposes the SEC bias the most. The more you expand, the more you give "legitimate" reasons for them to put more than 1 SEC team in the playoffs. Currently, they have to have a really, really, really good reason. If it's 8 teams, they can have a sorta good reason to get 2, or more, in the playoffs.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:48 PM

With 5 Power 5 champs + best G5 + 2 at large we would get 3 SEC teams every year and get back to the BCS where the SEC wins 7 in a row again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

128 Team Round Robin

Oct 28, 2019, 3:32 PM

Could start in December and finish in February.
Wait!!! Make it double elimination and add a Losers Bracket, that way it could go all the way to June.

Oct 28, 2019, 3:38 PM

For the millionth time, the CFP is to identify the NCAA Division 1 football champion ..... not to identify the top eight teams. As long as the top two teams in the country are included in the top 4, then even the 3rd and 4th teams are somewhat irrelevant. It also doesn't matter which order the top four teams are in. The best team is usually going to win. As an earlier poster pointed out, probably only one of the teams left out last year would have had much of a chance ..... and that team proved that it would not beat a mediocre Purdue tea, and did not deserve to be in the top 4.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 3:46 PM

I would like to see it at least go to 5 spots and every conference champion of the power5 gets a spot. #1,2, and 3 gets a bye while #4 and 5 play for final 4. I know this wouldn't happen, but I would like to see the season reduced to 11 games. This to me would cut down on attrition that teams go through if faced with 15 games if they make it to the final game. Every team just drop a cupcake team.....right?

Oct 28, 2019, 5:37 PM

I think that would be OK. Of course regardless whether we have 4 teams, 5, 8 or 16, there will always be a disagreement whether the #6, 9, or 17th team should have been included.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incorrect***

Oct 28, 2019, 3:51 PM

Best Is The Standard

Oct 28, 2019, 5:43 PM

Then we can have ESPN lobbying for 6 SEC teams in the playoffs - fun...

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,754
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic