Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It occurs to me...basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

It occurs to me...basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 9:02 PM

It occurs to me that if as many fans cared about men’s basketball when we win as they do when we lose we could have the type of program we all desire

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It occurs to me...basketball

Feb 17, 2019, 9:07 PM

I think that is what the BB fans want, but not so sure about everyone else. Feels like others may enjoy complaining to complain. The trolls love it of course...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo.***

Feb 17, 2019, 9:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

Feb 17, 2019, 9:12 PM

Dude people expected a lot better this season .
There is no excuse we are not 18-7 or at least 17-8 and sitting pretty. The schedule has not been brutal and we missed a golden opportunity this season.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that the season is over.

Feb 17, 2019, 9:13 PM

Why can’t you wait until the end of the season before evaluating things?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that the season is over.

Feb 17, 2019, 11:30 PM

Well I figure about 19-14 will be our final record after the ACC Tournament.
With 4 5th year SRs and a manageable schedule, what should happen?
I hope Im very wrong and we go on a big run but do you actually believe this will happen?

the best evaluations are done in real time, with constant

Feb 18, 2019, 1:32 AM [ in reply to I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that the season is over. ]

observation so that the culmination of information can provide a more accurate view of performance. We have 8 years of culminations to observe, and that 8 years is truly telling. As someone has asserted that Brownell's performance is admirable given the overall history of the program, I would assert that Brownell has not performed up to the level of other coaches except Shyatt.
Clemson basketball deserves to have teams that earn NCAA tournament berths more years than not. Brownell's teams have not earned tournament berths more than they have earned.

Feb 17, 2019, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: It occurs to me...basketball ]

Winitall18 said:

Dude people expected a lot better this season .
There is no excuse we are not 18-7 or at least 17-8 and sitting pretty. The schedule has not been brutal and we missed a golden opportunity this season.

No doubt we have missed on several close calls this season and fans should be disappointed but that is no reason to call for firing the coach. Recruiting has improved over the last few cycles and we are competitive in most games which is more than history dictates should be expected at Clemson

Feb 17, 2019, 11:35 PM

Oh this season alone is not why people want CBB gone . I mean look at the improvement it’s none compared to where OP had us .
I would much rather lose in the first round and have an exciting season than continually lose close games

Yes, the same Oliver Purnell who coached us to

Feb 17, 2019, 11:41 PM

upset defeats in the NCAA Tournament all three years we made it. We were the higher seeded team each time, and lost each time (two of those were not even close losses, and the other we lost by 3).

Also, with a significant drop in recruiting, Purnell left Brownell with little talent after year one.

Finally, leaving in the middle of the night, not even giving his players the courtesy of telling them he had taken another job. It's no wonder several of them threatened to leave the program if he returned as coach.

That's where OP had us.

Re: Yes, the same Oliver Purnell who coached us to

Feb 17, 2019, 11:46 PM

You are preaching to the choir, everyone likes CBB but it comes a Time when the program is bigger than the man. We have had decent enough talent to do better ,this year is a prime example.
We made the Dance with OP’s players and CBB has had 3 NBA players and very good guards .

Re: Yes, the same Oliver Purnell who coached us to

Feb 18, 2019, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Yes, the same Oliver Purnell who coached us to ]

Are you a paid social media liason for BB?

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

No, I just think he’s a really good coach who needs better talent

Feb 18, 2019, 8:36 PM

and disagree with many on here that he has what he needs to recruit well enough to build a winner. He’s not perfect, but he (and any basketball coach at Clemson) deserves better support from the administration and fans.

I just think it’s overly simplistic to blame the coach and talk about how bad he is when he isn’t given what he needs to be successful.

You may not be wrong, but what we have is a fan base

Feb 17, 2019, 11:11 PM

that has been pummelled with disappointment for decades. There was a time when Clemson fans packed out Littlejohn ... it was us against the world, and there was hope and belief that we could eventually get there. For years, LJ would be packed for ACC games against ranked opponnents, and it was loud and rowdy. Our students were a big part of it, and no matter the odds, we believed we could slay the giants. The fans and students hung in there for decades; many still do, but damage has been done. I don't remember Fike, but I remember LJ being built, and Butch Zatezalo, Bud Martin, Tates Lock and Skip Wise. I've seen us have some good teams, but it never lasted. I've seen quite a span, with some ups and downs, but we've just never been able to crack the code, to get to the next level. The belief, and the hope, has steadily been squeezed out of us. I still think, in fact I know that it can be done; but it won't be done by a change in fan behavior or attitude (even though that will be part of it); it will come as the result of a change by the university. Keep doing the same thing and you get the same result. It can happen at Clemson, but only when Clemson decides they've had enough, and it's time to make it happen. Decide to be better in basketball, to make it a priority, and commit to it. Do what successful programs do ... facillities, coaches, PR, etc.. Forgive me, but we have to go ALL IN. We never have, and we're certainly not now. Build it, and they will come.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 18, 2019, 1:13 AM

I hunk a lot more than some of think do care about basketball, like i said in another post bc fans don’t turn out for these late midweek games when most of us get up at 5 am for work and live 3 + hours away doesn’t mean we don’t “support” it like we do football... football is just an easier schedule with 7 home games all usually on a Saturday to make...I just think ppl are disappointed so far and they have a right to be , for me I was excited as mess for the Miami game man and had a feeling it was a game we would show up win like we should against a very inferior opponent and keep that win streak goin and could have been a turning point but no , we got the opposite ... and before anyone talks about “winning on the road in the acc” Miami is terrible and there were more band members than fans at that game so I don’t think the environment had anything to do with it

They do care when we win, that's part of the issue. Which

Feb 18, 2019, 2:49 AM

came first, the chicken or the egg. People just aren't going to show up and stand up when they feel they're going to be let down again, right or wrong, that's the nature of sports. I can't speak for all the BB years since I now live out of state. However I did have season tickets from the Tates Locke era up until the OP era. People showed up when we won from Foster's good years, to the couple by Squiggy, to the Barnes era and the good years under OP. Might not have always been packed but Littlejohn did rock for many a night during those few good years.

Feb 18, 2019, 8:44 AM

this year reminds me of two years ago. All the close games seemed to end up as losses. Last year we seemed to win all the close ones. St, Miami, Lou - if they had fallen our way would make a huge difference in our season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think people don't care about basketball wins?

Feb 18, 2019, 9:21 AM

I care a lot about our wins, and the stretch after the NCSU loss was fun, particularly the VT game. And then it was like getting kicked in the nutz losing close games to Miami and Louisville. It just feels like we keep finding creative ways to lose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I've also wondered if our extreme success in football

Feb 18, 2019, 9:34 AM

recently has turned even more fans against Brownell and the basketball program as they've gotten a bit spoiled and accustomed to winning and then become frustrated when we fall far short of those expectations in other sports.

That's one possibility. Another possibility is that

Feb 18, 2019, 9:50 AM

people have gotten tired of losing. You know, being in CBB's 9th year and all. But hey, at least we've made the NCAA tournament twice and the NIT twice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Tired of losing?

Feb 18, 2019, 8:40 PM

We just had one of our best seasons in 100+ years of basketball at Clemson.

Some of our fans are quitting on our team this year, as usual. We can still make the tournament and many of our “fans” seem all to excited to whine and complain about how awful we are, rather than rallying behind the team to see what they can accomplish.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic