Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the transfer portal so bad?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 4,084

Is the transfer portal so bad?

Jan 21, 2020, 9:14 AM

Everybody seems to have a very bad view of the transfer portal that I think is short sighted. The young men that transfer open up spots that we are able to fill with recruits. If not for transfers, how many of this year's class would have gone elsewhere?

I hate to see these young men leave, but it seems like a win/win to me. The ones leaving have an opportunity to fill some gap that was falling short with their experience at Clemson, and Clemson has the opportunity to fill those spots with young men that may benefit more from being a part of the Clemson family. What's wrong with that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s not so bad for us.

Jan 21, 2020, 9:16 AM

We don’t have a ton of attrition. We scout and recruit well. The portal gives us a couple extra spots every year for flexibility.

Imagine being a UGA fan ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it’s not so bad for us.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:36 AM

I don't think the transfer portal hurts Jawja... or at least it has had 0% impact on them underachieving.

unintended results

Jan 21, 2020, 9:33 AM

In general, I believe the portal to be a good thing. Players buried on the depth chart moving to locations where they can play.

What I don’t like:
Starters like the QBs at both Wake and Houston transferring because they feel limited at their school (I guess). No loyalty to school and team, coaches, staff, etc. in the end, I would bet that they would be better off staying.

I also don’t like schools that appear to recruit people to the portal, rather than develop their own talent. It is illegal, but we all know certain teams have history of players and positions suddenly becoming available.
I don’t like the” it just means more” conference - criticizing other conferences - then accepting those same players they just criticized.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: unintended results

Jan 21, 2020, 9:46 AM

I do think that there needs to be some tweaking to the system especially combined with the red shirt rule. When a player plays 4 games and then up and quits to transfer does not sit well with me. I also have a bigger problem, that I think you were alluding to, that many coaches basically force kids into the transfer portal to open up spots. It is not perfect, but overall I consider it a good thing.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:44 AM [ in reply to unintended results ]

I completely agree with you. I'm all for a backup transferring somewhere if they feel they can be a starter elsewhere, and really that's not any different from how things were done before the transfer portal became a thing.

It does stink to see guys who are already starting such as the example you gave with the Wake QB moving elsewhere. I think it drives an even further gap between the big schools and smaller ones. I know a school like Wake wasn't likely to win a NC in football to begin with, but at least they could recruit, develop their guys, and have the chance of putting together a special season with a lot of developed seniors. A school like that could also always have the hope of finding an underrated player in recruiting and have a special run with him. Now they run the risk of that special talent, and/or player they've spent 3-4 years developing deciding to transfer out to play for a bigger school. It just widens the gap that much further.

Jan 21, 2020, 4:33 PM [ in reply to unintended results ]

"What I don’t like:
Starters like the QBs at both Wake and Houston transferring because they feel limited at their school (I guess). No loyalty to school and team, coaches, staff, etc. in the end, I would bet that they would be better off staying."

Have you been stuck at one company our entire life or did you happen to see that one had done all it could for you and move on? If you did move on, it is the same for the players. Now that guy at Houston is quite the same as the guy from Wake. I do take issue with guys quitting in the middle of a season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the transfer portal so bad?

Jan 21, 2020, 9:43 AM

Its only a win-win if the transfer thrives at another school. We have seen some excellent players leave Clemson only to be stuck is the same or worse situation regarding playing time and exposure. At best Feaster made a lateral mover and did nothing to enhance his NFL chances. Others, like Pagano, were lateral at best. Everyone wants to focus on the Joe Burrows or Justin Fields which is a very vast minority. I'm not totally opposed to it, but do not think it is what many fans think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 9:58 AM

Young men do not always make the best decisions, but neither do I. I still like the opportunity to make them. Things change and the situation can be drastically different from when a young man commits. Sometimes they do not or are unable to get a good idea of the environment that they are getting into. Four to five years would be a long time to hold somebody to a decision.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Is the transfer portal so bad? ]

On a side note, my buddy's son was a Freshman on the D-line at Oregon when Pagano was there. Pagano had a lot of trouble with injuries that year, which impacted his production. I'm not saying that it wasn't a lateral move, but I am not sure that the decision was based entirely on football either.

No. Tired of the double standard for coaches and players.

Jan 21, 2020, 9:48 AM

Some people have the idea that football players are like servants. Just shut up and do what we tell you to do.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the transfer portal so bad? Mostly, no. As a parent

Jan 21, 2020, 10:10 AM

who's child had to leave a train wreck of a track program, the portal would have made it much less traumatic. If you were in a bad program that doesn't care about it's athletes, you had to run the gauntlet of approvals and could get stonewalled by ad's and coaches (I had to make more than one veiled threat of program exposure).

There are some bad programs, bad team mates bad coaches and athletic department staff out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2020, 10:13 AM

The biggest win from the portal was college football in general this year with 3 of the 4 playoff teams getting a qb from the portal. We got to see three great qbs play that would have most likely been 2/3rd string and only hope to play was an injury to starter.

Allowing players to have the opportunity to start and showcase themselves is the best part of the portal to me. However, it def is not perfect and there seems to be a lot of players that transfer in their 1st year if they don’t win a spot immediately. Some endlessly transfer, some may use it to get paid potentially like free agents and some lose their scholarship to not land anywhere. So there’s good and bad but overall it seems like an okay start but needs some perfecting.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:37 AM

The portal isn't new. They simply changed a few rules to make it easier on the player. The biggest problem is unbalanced rules and waivers on players sitting out. Graduates should absolutely have the opportunity to transfer and make the best of their situation. Unhappy undergrads should not get a waiver because they change their mind. Put an emphasis on graduation and putting the work in.

null

Jan 21, 2020, 11:51 AM

The large number of kids entering the portal is definitely new. And strictly as a fan of a team that doesn’t really benefit from incoming transfers, it probably is a disadvantage. (I think our position on it helps a little in recruiting though)

That being said there hasn’t been a Clemson transfer, other than Belk, that I thought was a bad move.

I like your point about the graduation component though. The part that bothers me the most is how arbitrary the waiver decisions can be and I think making a player sit a year is too punitive. This has definitely changed the sport though.

its just like getting a redo on your poor recruiting. LSU

Jan 21, 2020, 10:46 AM

has a championship b/c of the transfer portal. Think about it. If there was no transfer portal, that LSU team definitely wouldn't have even been there. Ohio State may have been better who knows... LSU basically has a championship b/c of it. Whereas before you had secure those QB's 3 or 4 years prior adn if you missed you missed.

Teams basically will look at their weaknesses and fill in the gaps with experienced players. Dabo has already said he's not going to cheapen our team by doing that so, its not like its going to help us in the future. But we do it the right way around here. Which means we earn it we don't cut corners for championships.

"Bad's" in the eye of the beholder. e.g. When your wife

Jan 21, 2020, 12:02 PM

enters the transfer portal, will that be good or bad?

Re: "Bad's" in the eye of the beholder. e.g. When your wife

Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 PM

Just looking at the list of players in the portal at 247Sports. Arkansas has 13 in the portal!!!! Yikes!!!

Jan 21, 2020, 1:05 PM

FSPU has 14 in the portal! May open up recruiting opportunities. Wonder if high school recruits check out the portal numbers? Too few may indicate a stable situation where it would be hard to crack the lineup. Too many might indicate more opportunity, but playing in a bad situation. BTW, Clemson has 4 as of this post.

Jan 21, 2020, 1:53 PM

One point I missed is that the portal indicates those leaving as well as those coming in. FSPU has 4 coming in and 10 leaving. Arkansas has 3 coming in and 10 leaving. Sorry about that.

Jan 21, 2020, 2:07 PM

When a kid enters the portal and is picked up by another school -- let em' play** avoid all the decisions based on what ever -- just seems like the decision line is mighty thin sometime ??

Jan 21, 2020, 4:02 PM

Very true.

Jan 21, 2020, 1:59 PM

Personally, i hope the XFL pays some $$$$$$$$$$ and gobbles up some future NFL talent...Pay the Money Hungry dudes some life changing $$$$$ and let the Intelligent Good Guys play ball, get a degree and enter the NFL Draft...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the portal...it tells

Jan 21, 2020, 4:25 PM

A number of truths...good and unflattering. An exodus from a program speaks to a poor culture...and in some cases is affirmation of what was suspected from the outside looking in.

Frankly, the portal has put Clemson in a, generally, very good light. Yes, the KB incident went a bit sideways, but that was the media doing what it does. Mostly, though, Clemson has 'graduates' entering the portal, with more than a year's eligibility remaining. How is that remotely a negative. It speaks well of the players commitment and focus on and off the field. It's three years of high-level coaching for another program to grow from. These aren't players afraid of competition...they are players with a dream to play, for the love of the game.

Final note, unrelated to the portal: Who among Clemson nation, after the '16 title, would have wanted to see the max exodus LSU is experiencing? Culture really matters.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ..dunno why everyone makes a stink about

Jan 21, 2020, 4:28 PM

Rules that have existed for decades.

Does calling it transfer portal instead of just transfer make it that much worse?

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 21, 2020, 5:18 PM

I think the portal is great for the kids - maybe not so good for programs.

Jan 21, 2020, 6:48 PM

The transfer portal is the proper opposite of over-signing players. Both allow teams to shed extra headcount, but one is underhanded and the other is a voluntary system.

Replies: 26
| visibility 4,084
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic