Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is aTm doing so well because of Johnny FB or because in SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Is aTm doing so well because of Johnny FB or because in SEC

Jun 6, 2013, 8:03 PM

Or BOTH? Saying, what gives with all the hype?

Would they be having all this success without being in the SEC in 2012? I don't think so, since they took it by storm (and Missouri didn't) & surprised a lot of those teams with his play. Plus, beating BAMA at its game at their place on national TV didn't hurt.

It accumulated with a Heisman right out of the box in the SEC..building a tremendous stadium addition..being ranked #2 in 2014 Class, etc.

What say you?

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were good before joining the SEC

Jun 6, 2013, 8:37 PM

It's like everyone forgot that they were a preseason top-10 team in 2011 and lost 4 or 5 games that year by giving up huge leads in the second half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They were good before joining the SEC

Jun 6, 2013, 9:23 PM

You are all over it, but being in that conference got them a lot more attention and exposure than they otherwise would have gotten. They did a great job of performing when they had the spotlight, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize how large and how much money A&M has

Jun 6, 2013, 8:39 PM

Also, they recruit Texas just as well as the Longhorns, probably better now with Sumlin as their head coach.

Sumlin is doing an awesome job.......

Jun 6, 2013, 8:50 PM

but the big thing is FINALLY getting out from underneath Texas's very large shadow. They have always been their "little brother".......sound familiar?.....( just on a much larger scale). The state of Texas is a recruiting mecca and now the Aggies have the upper hand in that recruiting. Being able to lure kids with the SEC moniker and given that the Big 12 is falling apart because of Texas's "Notre Dame Like" greed. The Longhorn Network was the straw that broke the camel's back. A&M will not suffer the way that the Coots did when joining. The talent in Texas will take them to much bigger heights that Spurlid can. Johnny FB is fun to watch, but lets wait to see how he will take a hit when SEC defenses have much more film to figure him out with. His OC is gone and they lost some talent on the line. I would love to see a new team like the Aggies come in and spoil the SEC powers party.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Got to give Sumlin most of the credit***

Jun 7, 2013, 10:00 AM

Fluke, caught the SEC off guard

Jun 6, 2013, 8:54 PM

We shall see in sophomore season, both team and QB

Re: Fluke, caught the SEC off guard

Jun 6, 2013, 10:24 PM

I agree, 84. I look for JFFB to hit a slump this year...esp. given his off field, big head antics. They have a good program but are nowhere near elite status. The SEC affiliation may help with national exposure and recruiting, but they are a long ways away from competing for a MNC.

Agree,The Johnny football BS is a bit hard to take

Jun 6, 2013, 10:36 PM

epecially around here. His Spring course, courses maybe, is done on line.

It is a slap in the face of the Heisman and college football.

Re: Agree,The Johnny football BS is a bit hard to take

Jun 6, 2013, 11:06 PM

I think he's an obnoxious punk. His career will be much like Steven Garcia's. The entire SEC will be gunning for him this year. Doesn't bode well for him...

Think of this: Texas leads the series 76-37-5. Even my

Jun 7, 2013, 5:06 AM

A&M relatives are cautious, while the Horns' side consider A&M's recent success a blip on the screen. Perhaps, the funniest comment I"ve heard from the Horns, "We ain't worried about A&M...They'll find a way to screw things up." And they could care less about the Aggies affiliation with the SEC.

The Aggies do have a lot of money; then again, the Horns have more. The Aggies are recruiting well; but then the Horns are THE UNIVERSITY to most Texans. The Aggies are passionate; the Horns take it to a whole new level. Even my Mother, God rest her soul, although passionate about Clemson, was a diehard Texan fan all her life. Once, during a reunion in south Texas, the Horns and Aggies began their usual trash talk. She quickly joined the fray, telling the Aggies' crowd: "We're Texan people. You Aggie fans need to shut up!" And she meant it! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is aTm doing so well because of Johnny FB or because in SEC

Jun 7, 2013, 5:42 AM

Tomlin is more responsible, but having Johnny Football helps.

Jun 7, 2013, 8:44 AM

both, he's pretty dang good, and who better to showcase his talents than the SEC!

Texas A&M's success has ZERO to do with SEC...All theirs

Jun 7, 2013, 8:51 AM

They came in and embarrassed the SEC in the 1st season

I don't think their success is due to the SEC either, but to

Jun 7, 2013, 9:50 AM

say that they embarrassed the league is a stretch. They had a great win at Bama, but they also lost twice at home to LSU and Florida and their offense got absolutely shut down in the second half of both games.

The team that they absolutely embarrassed was Big XII powerhouse Oklahoma.

Loved it when Johnny FB beat BAMA & OKIE..But TAJH just as

Jun 7, 2013, 12:01 PM

good a QB as JM...and actually beat him in some important stats.

Most glaring differences are Johnny's exciting ways, running like a "chicken" through the entire defense & his infectious personality...

whereas Tajh is more conservative in showing his excitement, not nearly as fast & elusive a runner & is grounded more as to publicity (maybe due to his Dad & Mom).

But overall I think Tajh is more what the Pros are looking for in a QB in IMO..since he stands in the pocket more.

What say you?!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2013, 12:07 PM

I don't think his success was a fluke at all. Kid is a baller.

Now what I do think most about is that he runs ALOT, and he has a pretty small frame.

With SEC defenses really gunning for him this year, I question whether he will be able to make it through the entire season. He also lost some all americans on the o-line.

Yep, he lost some stellar OL blocking for him and his

Jun 7, 2013, 12:15 PM

top WR (all-time school leader i think) in Swope. We will find out what he can do this year without those guys on the field with him.

No body is good BECAUSE they're in the SEC. The SEC is good

Jun 7, 2013, 1:04 PM

because of some of the teams in it, and the depth those teams run (6 teams in the conference had 10+ wins last season, which is AMAZING in a group of only 14). I've never flashed the SEC card, but it is a conference where you have a better chance of facing a legit contender than in other conferences. But that's because of the teams in the conference. The SEC badge on their shoulder doesn't mean squat, and it's sad that some fans don't get that at all. "We're in the SEC so we're good!" No, the SEC is good because of the teams that compete in it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because of their coach mostly***

Jun 7, 2013, 2:37 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic