Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Chad Morris or Brent Venables more valuable?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Is Chad Morris or Brent Venables more valuable?

Dec 12, 2013, 4:09 PM

In my opinion if Morris leaves we can find another OC to run the hurry up spread. I think that Venables would be tougher to replace. The defense doesn't get the publicity that the offense does but Venables has them playing much better. I would rather lose Morris rather than Venables if I had to pick one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brent Morris***

Dec 12, 2013, 4:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Paul Johnson wants to end our yearly game

Dec 12, 2013, 4:14 PM

courtesy of Venables

Either that, or so that he can have a bowel movement.***

Dec 12, 2013, 4:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Venables has achieved more with less

Dec 12, 2013, 4:15 PM

and pretty quickly. Plus he seems to get respect from everyone up and down the roster for his frankness and willingness to admit mistakes and move on immediately.

Not that Morris isn't high caliber, but our offense has fallen all over themselves in two key games this year after proving they had the mental ability AND talent in the bowl game last year. Can't all be placed on the shoulders of the players.

In my opinion Morris is probably the better coach/coordinator in the long run but just less experienced than Venables, obviously.

It's not a simple as finding another OC to run the HUNH

Dec 12, 2013, 4:17 PM

Not only do you need someone to tech and coach it, you also need someone who is going to disect defenses and excell at actually calling the plays on game days based on what the defenses are doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Some think Jeff Scott could step right in and carry on

Dec 12, 2013, 4:27 PM

the HUNH.

Dabo though Napier could do that too....

Dec 12, 2013, 4:34 PM

and we all saw how that turned out.

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of an OC Jeff Scott would make.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Mad Scientist Redux.***

Dec 12, 2013, 5:04 PM

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Chad Morris or Brent Venables more valuable?

Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 PM

Venables. The improved defense this season over last year's kept Clemson in several games this year until the offense finally kicked in. Basically, saved their butts from falling behind and blowing some games. BC and NCST come to mind.

Venables

Dec 12, 2013, 4:27 PM

Based off of this year, I would say that our D is in an incredible spot moving forward. I am also not sold on Morris' play calling. I think the system is great, but should have produced more this year with the talent we have IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables

Dec 12, 2013, 4:50 PM

I'm with you I like venables but I still don't care for Morris that much. To me it seems like he falls apart in the big games and stops what is working. Example scjr quit running the ball

Dec 12, 2013, 4:28 PM

agree! and I have been told that the HC and admin thinks so also

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2013, 4:48 PM

You know you are having pretty good times in the program when questions like this come up.

I don't know which is more valuable, but I have got to say I am absolutely amazed at how quick Venables turned our defense around. Our secondary is still shaky, but almost no one can run on us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Venables without a doubt***

Dec 12, 2013, 6:21 PM

Spence is available again!

Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM

he could pick up right where he left off

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brent Venables more valuable - both messed up against Usuck

Dec 12, 2013, 8:34 PM

Why in the world did V. not put a spy on Connor - wide open - nobody around the qb. If he plays same d against OSu qb, we will be slaughtered again! V. was mad at the d, but it was his poor coaching!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2013, 8:36 PM

Venables ...and bring Brad Scott back out to run the Offense

Dec 12, 2013, 8:50 PM

IMO, up until the SC game it would have been Venables. However, it was common knowledge that Shaw had carried SC with his running ability and that (beyond the turnovers) was the kiss of death for us....With regard to Morris - seemed like a carbon copy of last year's game with the fact he couldn't recognize what was actually effect and stick with it...Seems like most conference games spoil us in that we get impatient when we are faced with grind-it-out drives.

Good question

Dec 12, 2013, 9:01 PM

I got to go with coach V on this one.

Both units are top 25 and struggled at times this season. But the defense is obviously way behind the O in terms of talent. I believe we had championship caliber players at almost every position on the offense. However there are few players not on the DL to mention as playmakers in the D. Kind of hard to guard the rest of the field with one good corner and LB. Also the most concerning aspect of this team was the inability to get the OL to gell until later in the season probably because of a head scratching refusal to start our most talented Tackle. No to mention in two of our defense's worst games Chad's offense made it much harder on the D.

So for me it is coach V in a landslide really. When the talent from this year and last year get in the field we could have a really solid defense you feel comfortable having on the feild.

Re: Good question

Dec 12, 2013, 11:05 PM

Coach V had better d talent than some are giving credit for. The DL talent was top notch and the LB crew was also. He did a great job with the d this season,but he had talent to work with. Coach CM had more talent to be sure, but lost his best TE early, was working in a new RB and replacing Nuk. The OL talent as a group was good,not great. TheO did break most CU records in 2013, so Coach Morris did deliver overall. Both CCM andCBV could have done better versus FSU and SC to be sure, especially at home versus FSU. No matter how good FSU is this year, no way they should beat Clemson at home by 5 TD's, the talent levels are not that far apart between the two teams and Clemson was at home.

Idk we are not far removed from the group that gave up 70

Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM

IMO if I'm putting together a championship caliber defense I'm only taking the DL Anthony and Breeland. Shuey is to slow to be on the field in the nickle. Our other corners don't even look like they would cut it at Duke and idk if we even had a safety on the field most games. On the other hand Morris had arguably the most talent recieving unit in the nation. A capable back in Roddy. The most prolific qb in our history. And what looked like a good OL after battle was in the starting lineup. So yeah I don't think Venables had near the talent Morris did.

Re: Idk we are not far removed from the group that gave up 70

Dec 12, 2013, 11:25 PM

I agree that Morris probably had more talent to work with. I don't think either coach is more or less valuable. I think the margin for error in today's college football is so thin, every coach is equally important. I also hope that the entire staff can continue to improve the program (both thru recruiting and coaching) so that they are competitive against the elite programs (like FSU) too.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic