Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Irritating article in Orlando Sentinel this morning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Irritating article in Orlando Sentinel this morning

Aug 23, 2013, 8:51 AM

I don't know how to attach the article by Mike Bianchi, but it is one of those that makes you want to grit your teeth. If any of you can do it, please do so. Might even be motivating for the team. Thanks from a very loyal Clemson fan.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Just attach the address***

Aug 23, 2013, 8:53 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Not sure which is more irritating, the article or having to

Aug 23, 2013, 8:55 AM

subscribe to read it.

I didn't do either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's the link

Aug 23, 2013, 8:56 AM

but you have to sign up to read it

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-fsu-acc-title-0823-20130822,0,4380442.column

null

FSU is SEC=esque

Aug 23, 2013, 8:56 AM

did they have a bunch of starters arrested over the offseason or something?

I copied the article text. Here you go

Aug 23, 2013, 8:58 AM

Who died and made Clemson king?

Certainly not the Florida State Seminoles, who just happen to be the defending ACC Champions.

At least that's how I remember it.But you surely wouldn't know it by listening to all the talking heads and reading all of the preseason magazines.

They all claim Climpson — the overrated, underachieving program that has won just one ACC title in the past two decades — is the team to beat in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Sports Illustrated, Lindy's, Athlon, The Sporting News, USA Today; they all have Climpson winning the ACC.

"Offense wins in 2013, and the Tigers are the best in the ACC on that front," writes Lindy's College Football Preview. "Clemson runs ACC table."

This is an absolute insult to coach Jimbo Fisher's Seminoles, who last year won the league for the first time in seven seasons and served notice that they are ready to dominate the ACC like they did during Bobby Bowden's heyday in the 1990s.

You want to know why Florida State will likely win the ACC again this year . . . and next year . . . and the year after that? Because the Seminoles are not really an ACC team. They are a SEC team that happens to play in the ACC.

It's no secret that Fisher is a Nick Saban disciple who has built his program at FSU in the Saban mold — with discipline, defense and downhill running. Not this newfangled, no-huddle, no-defense style of pinball that Climpson plays. Fisher, like friend and fellow Saban disciple Will Muschamp at Florida, is building his program with SEC-forged steel and concrete; not flimsy ACC gimmicks and gadgets.

As Muschamp likes to say, "The SEC is a line-of-scrimmage league." And if you can't compete along the line of scrimmage, you're going to get destroyed. This philosophy, more than any other factor, is why the SEC has won seven straight national titles.

Here's all you need to know: Saban's Alabama defense was ranked No. 1 in the nation last year. Fisher's FSU defense was ranked No. 2. And Dabo Swinney's Climpson defense was ranked No. 63. The year prior, FSU's defense was ranked No. 4 while Climpson's was 71st. Two seasons ago, when Climpson won its only ACC title in the last 21 years, the Tigers went to the Orange Bowl and got destroyed 70-33 by West Virginia.

Climpson's worst nightmare was realized last year when Florida State finally broke through and won its first ACC title of the Fisher era. And, believe me, it won't be the last. As Fisher explained after winning the championship last year, this era of Seminoles, at long last, knows what it takes to be a champion.

"This is huge," Fisher said then. "We've now got over the hump and won our first championship. You've got to win a championship before you can ever say, 'We're back!' Everybody wants you to win a national championship. You've gotta win a conference championship before you can win a national championship. . . . You have to keep climbing the ladder to get to where you want to go."

Fisher traditionally has a rule — no hats worn indoors at the FSU football complex. This offseason, though, he relaxed the rule — but only for those players who wore their ACC Championship hats.

"I wanted them to keep those hats on to feel that sense of pride and accomplishment," Fisher says now. "I wanted that joy to sink in. You just feel different when you win a championship. It's hard to explain until you get there. When you win a championship, you'll have a pride about you that you didn't have before. It's sort of like having a child. Your priorities change."

Last season, Fisher's Seminoles experienced the birth of their first child, er, championship and now they want another . . . and another . . . and another. They don't just want one child, they want a whole brood of 'em.

Step aside, Climpson.

Big Daddy Seminole is back home where he belongs.

null

Is this dude gonna blow his brains out when "Climpson" wins

Aug 23, 2013, 9:05 AM

the ACC.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

haha, he's got a sense of humor...

Aug 23, 2013, 9:11 AM

Mike Bianchi
Bio

Orlando Sentinel columnist since 2001. Previously at Florida Times-Union, Gainesville Sun and Florida Today. If I write something that makes you mad, just remember this quote: "The job of the sports columnist is to watch the battle from the mountaintop and then ride down and bayonet the wounded." If I write something that's wrong, just remember this quote: "Doctors bury their mistakes, sports columnists print ours."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tell you what's irritating. And I don't like when people

Aug 23, 2013, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I copied the article text. Here you go ]

say it about us either

"They are an SEC team that happens to play in the ACC"

Whenever that's said, the SEC wins the marketing war. Besides that, it's just stoopid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've been hearing that crap for a decade

Aug 23, 2013, 9:18 AM [ in reply to I copied the article text. Here you go ]

and over that decade we are 6-4 vs the mighty semenholes.

And who couldn't have the #2 defense in the country when you play Savannah St, Murray St, South Florida and the 103 ranked Florida offense.

Evidently that maroon missed the Bama/AnM game...

Aug 23, 2013, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I copied the article text. Here you go ]

where AnM's HUNH offense invaded Saban's holy domain and made his defense look as helpless as GWP and bob in drag.

Jimbo=Bobby?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incorrect...

Aug 23, 2013, 9:24 AM

we are anything but helpless ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Evidently that maroon missed the Bama/AnM game...

Aug 23, 2013, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Evidently that maroon missed the Bama/AnM game... ]

I wouldn't say giving up 418 yds offense on 77 makes a defense helpless. Bama's offense lost them that game by giving up 3 turnovers.

Even with all of that talent, FSU will be limited by their

Aug 23, 2013, 9:04 AM

offensive coordinator.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did Michael Carvell write this article?***

Aug 23, 2013, 9:14 AM

Nah, Carvell's already launched his attempt at swaying

Aug 23, 2013, 2:45 PM

Deshaun Watson to change his mind. In a video interview with Watson, Carvell actually asks him what colleges are still trying to get him to change his mind. If you care to take a look, its available in sports section of ajc.com

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Irritating article in Orlando Sentinel this morning

Aug 23, 2013, 9:16 AM

What's funny is the Noles have been slurped pretty hard almost every preseason the last 10+ years. The worst was last year when some were predicting National Title and EJ Manuel Heisman talk and they blew it versus NC State.

The thing that grinds my gears

Aug 23, 2013, 2:54 PM

every year FSU is always appointed by the media as the class of the acc and (almost)every year they never live up to the hype and the one year that they are not picked they get butthurt about it

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic