Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm Catholic, grew up in Columbia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

I'm Catholic, grew up in Columbia

Apr 18, 2014, 10:54 AM

so I was surrounded by Southern Baptists, Chicken fans, and Yankee haters...(family is originally from NJ and I am a second generation American because my grandparents on both sides were born in Italy). I think I can speak on what it is like to be surrounded by folks who's religion and culture are different than yours in many ways. In the Marine Corps before every single ceremony we say "let us pray" and everyone bows their heads and the Navy Chaplain says his prayer....news flash: we have Marines who are a rainbow coalition of faiths and religions all over the Corps and the Chaplain is our Chaplain irregardless to what your faith is....it doesn't matter to us because he's simply "Chaps" to us and they are always good guys who Marines love even if they are Athiests....the point is this, as long as Dabo isn't pushing his beliefs on anyone, there is no issue. If players who don't share his religious beliefs have no issue with it, then shut up, period...too easy. Every time i hear "let us pray" i make the Sign of the Cross like a Catholic does, and I listen....our version of the "Lord's prayer" has a different ending than the Protestant version so when we said it before patrols in Afghanistan together i simply said my ending, made the Sign of the Cross at the end and stepped off. News flash: our Chaplain in Afghanistan was a Baptist and I didn't care...nobody did. It's only an issue if you want attention and have an agenda....simple....obvious. I will never be a Dabo with my faith. Most Catholics are not that demonstrative about it...we're a different breed than Baptists. What i WILL say is that I thank God every day that Dabo is our HC and runs the program the way he does. This Italian Catholic hopes he stays for 25 years and goes straight to the ROH when he retires, graduates all of his guys, and they look back knowing they were a better man AND citizen AND player for wearing a PAW on their helmet whether they went to his chapel services or not. It ain't about his religion, it's about his character, and the character of his program, period.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm Catholic, grew up in Columbia

Apr 18, 2014, 11:00 AM

Catholic is still christian... try going up Jewish in the south and its completely different. Catholics can still go to heaven, Jews are born to go to hell.

not that it matters because there are no jewish football recruits in the south(or anywhere) but I'd bet non would feel welcome on Dabo's football team

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my very best friends is Jewish!

Apr 18, 2014, 11:09 AM

We graduated Clemson together and are still very close. We anguish together about our different stations in this world but I know the just God we both serve and continue to pray about it. There is hope!

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/

Well stated. This needs to be sent to some major news outlet***

Apr 18, 2014, 11:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good READ, thanks!***

Apr 18, 2014, 11:10 AM

Re: I'm Catholic, grew up in Columbia

Apr 18, 2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks man. Well said and very true. Unless you are being forced to participate, you should not have a problem with others expressing their faith.

Is Columbia Hell or just Purgatory?

Apr 18, 2014, 11:25 AM

I figure a Catholic in Columbia would have first hand knowledge of this.

Lets just say that i could see WB's lights

Apr 18, 2014, 11:32 AM

from the roof of my childhood house over the trees in the distance and I feel, like my Pop did, that 0-11 will never be good enough for them and I hope that they always feel that way about us. My brother called me last week since i'm retiring from the Marine Corps in July and asked about me moving back home....I almost spit coffee out of my mouth. I have gone home on average about once a year over the years and after about two days of seeing Ma and brother and sister and family, it's time to see it in the rear view mirror. It's where i'm from...it's not home and never will be again.

If you can afford it

Apr 18, 2014, 12:06 PM

I would stay in San Diego. Beautiful place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Totally agree

Apr 18, 2014, 12:18 PM

that's the plan as of now. Got job offer in Albuquerque, NM that's a lock, one in San Jose that's a possible, three in SD that are all possibles....i'm working it best i can, but i'll have to go where the best "definite" job is....SD is first choice, SF the second, other areas west of the Mississippi would be third. SC I only miss during football season....that's a yearly visit for a couple of games for me.

Limbo. Five points is gate.***

Apr 18, 2014, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Is Columbia Hell or just Purgatory? ]

Great Post

Apr 18, 2014, 11:31 AM

needs to be POTD.

Re: Great Post

Apr 18, 2014, 12:53 PM

Ive got the Cooties seems to know Dabo's inner thoughts. Question for you cootie, How many Thieves and Thugs would Spurrier allow on his team. Well, 35 that we know of.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic