Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'll say it again...Carolina is not a rival anymore
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

I'll say it again...Carolina is not a rival anymore

Jul 29, 2019, 6:51 PM

After the Spurrier "5-peat" that represented by far the best period of Gamecock football - imagine that, really! - things took a very abrupt turn. Carolina relapsed some, becoming a middle-of-the-pack team in a very mediocre SEC East...and Clemson took off like a rocket, went on a four-year 55-4 run (tied with Alabama for the best ever) that included the first 15-0 season since 1896 - repeat, 1896! - as well as four straight playoff appearances and two out of the three last National Championships.

The Gamecocks objectively aren't a terrible program under Muschamp, mind: they putter around near the bottom of the Top-25 occasionally and certainly hover within the Top 40 or so teams in college football, which is respectable enough. Honestly, it's about where Clemson was under Tommy Bowden. But they're so far in Clemson's rear-view they aren't anything resembling a rival anymore, and it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with us.

They just aren't a rival any more for exactly the same reason that Coastal Carolina or Furman or Citadel aren't rivals: Clemson is at such a level it literally takes a historically bad game on Clemson's part nowadays (like the one our secondary had last year!) for the Gamecocks to keep the score within three touchdowns, the gulf between programs has grown that large. That's not any kind of rival, folks. That's not even a little brother. That's just another bodybag game on the schedule.

We have one true rival left standing, and that's Alabama. Period. The next tier - Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame - is 0-6 against us over the last five years, and most of those six games were one-sided blowouts. But Clemson and Alabama have emerged very much as an Ali-Frazier-type rivalry, two all-time greats that happen to be great at the same time.

And that's why Feaster wasn't "betraying" Clemson, IMHO. Consider TF's position for a second: he's a guy who would have started on most earlier Clemson teams that didn't have James Davis, CJ Spiller, or Wayne Gallman on them, and he's a borderline NFL guy...but on the Clemson of this era he was staring the prospect of being Clemson's #3 right in the face...as a rising senior. That doesn't get you to the League. To get there, Feaster needs to show he can be a featured guy against respectable competition, and since that was assuredly not in the cards at Clemson, Feaster took a step down in level, and went where the opportunity was. It's exactly like a Clemson player from the Tommy Bowden era transferring to Furman or Wofford.

Just sayin'. I don't like the move, mind - I wish he had gone to VT - but I'm not going to begrudge him his choice if he decided Carolina was where his current best opportunity was. As a student-athlete, you only get four years (plus four games in a redshirt year, now) to make your mark for the NFL, and in some ways it is very much a business; you've gotta do what you think is best for you and your family because you only get that one short window to make your case.

Just my take. It's not like he turned in his Clemson jersey to go join Alabama, you know? Now that might have been a betrayal. ;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As the legendary, wonderful Katwoman once remarked

Jul 29, 2019, 6:59 PM

(I think it was after the 63-17 chickendebacle):

"We need a new rivalry.....ours is broken."

Miss Katwoman and the terrific comments she always had ready....plus, counted her and hubby as good friends.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As the legendary, wonderful Katwoman once remarked

Jul 29, 2019, 7:11 PM

I thought she said something like "When God handed out rivals, Clemson hit the jackpot" or something like that. Anyway miss her on the board and hope she and hubs are doing well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll say it again...Carolina is not a rival anymore

Jul 29, 2019, 7:02 PM

A sane viewpoint, thank you.

Jul 30, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quozzel always has takes grounded in reality. It's bit a out of the ordinary on tnet to say the least.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2019, 4:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll say it again...Carolina is not a rival anymore ]

Quozzel always has takes grounded in reality. It's bit a out of the ordinary on tnet to say the least.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2019, 7:03 PM

I hope his motivation is to be a showcase player and not to stick it in Clemson's face. When he said that Scar "checked all of the boxes", exactly which ones did they check since he said he wanted to be a featured back in a program that had a chance to play for a championship. I guess his criteria changed, thus the question of his real motive. When I watch a Scar game I hope that every pass is intercepted (or dropped), every running play results in a fumble, or at least tackle for loss, every kick is blocked, and they miss every tackle. I'll do the same when Feaster is in the game. I do hope that he is able to stay healthy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2019, 8:34 PM

"Chance to play for a championship" could just be a reference to power 5 schools collectively-

Lulz. If you don’t think they’re our rivals, just

Jul 29, 2019, 7:06 PM

scroll down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Gamecocks Said That in 1970 and 2013 about Us

Jul 29, 2019, 7:16 PM

How did that work out?

There are lots of other places to be rivals, also.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Carolina?***

Jul 29, 2019, 7:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Carolina?***

Jul 29, 2019, 9:04 PM

He means UNC Tarheels right?

true. Clemson has never beat themon the courtin Chapel hill***

Jul 29, 2019, 7:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We accomplished more during the 5-peat years than they did

Jul 29, 2019, 7:24 PM

Sad that that period represents the apex of their program and they still have nothing to show for it. Even the streak itself has now been matched and is soon to be surpassed (again).

Jul 29, 2019, 7:25 PM

The problem Q isn’t that Feaster chose a “rival” but the intent behind his decision. He was granted the opportunity to wear one of the most beloved players number. He didn’t betray Clemson by going to a rival, but made a choice trying to stick it to the Clemson community. He thinks he has some talent reason to be ahead of ETN and wants to prove the coaches wrong in the most humiliating way possible. That’s what makes me angry, not a perceived slight by going to rival but the intent behind it. He will stink it up there as they are a talentless offense as displayed in their bowl game.

Jul 29, 2019, 7:32 PM

You have no clue what his motivations were. Far more likely that it came down to them and VT and he choose the one closer to home. I also still fail to realize why he was apparently never allowed to transfer according to so many simply because the number he was wearing had been retired previously.

Jul 29, 2019, 7:52 PM

How about when Feaster said it was personal and that he’s the best back in America. All you have to do is listen to what he says. He feels slighted bc he doesn’t get more PT and made a move to the team he thought would best show up his former coaches.

Just like KB did when he left. I give KB credit for calming down and retracting what he said. He was complimentary of Clemson after the fact. Feaster is calculated in wanting to prove something that isn’t provable, I wish him health and that’s about it. He will stink it up next year bc the team he’s playing for is garbage and ETN and co will laugh there way to the playoffs and NFL while Feaster watches from his couch.

Sorry Quozz, can’t come with you on this one.

Jul 29, 2019, 7:27 PM

The South Carolina Gamecocks will always be our rival. How do I know this? I just about threw up typing their full name.

For me, that won’t change if we beat them 20 times in a row.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sorry Quozz, can’t come with you on this one.

Jul 29, 2019, 7:41 PM

The South Carolina Gamecocks will always be our rival. How do I know this? I just about threw up typing their full name.

For me, that won’t change if we beat them 20 times in a row.

It could happen. For real it looks a lot more likely that our current 5-peat will grow to a 10-peat or even 15-peat before they get remotely competitive with us again.

After awhile you're just clubbing baby seals, you know?

That’s okay. I have a mean streak.***

Jul 29, 2019, 7:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s okay. I have a mean streak.***

Jul 29, 2019, 8:01 PM

^^^^^Hates baby seals^^^^

Are Va Tech and UVA Rivals?

Jul 29, 2019, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry Quozz, can’t come with you on this one. ]

Yes!

Personally for you - you can say no rivalry, but for the vast majority of people in a state with no NFL team and historic bad blood between the universities - it will always be a rivalry in my lifetime.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: This ^^^

Jul 30, 2019, 9:16 AM

Say what you want... U of South Carolina is our biggest rival. We may have others and the last 4 years with Alabama have been fun. Make no mistake... USCe is our Rival, our in-state Rival and that is not likely to change for a long, long time. Even after we surpass the 7 win streak number! The color Garnet is not allowed in my house. I would not drive a Garnet (burgundy) car or truck if you gave it to me. My kids understand that they bleed orange and feel sorry for those not as fortunate (or that have parents that did not raise them right). My then 4 year old son said he could like Clemson and "Gamecocks." His then 6 year old sister told him he could go live outside if he did...

we are Rivals.. no doubt!

Re: Sorry Quozz, can’t come with you on this one.

Jul 29, 2019, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Sorry Quozz, can’t come with you on this one. ]

Amen. How can people forget the 5 peat and Mike Hold handing the ball to Perry and Tanneyhill and his antics? Such displays of sportsmanship. Remember 56-20? On and on. No way is SC not our prime rival. Lose a couple times and watch what happens to local blood pressure and national image. Tread carefully on thinking them not a rival.

When the score is tied, "GAME OVER" sounds pretty silly

Jul 29, 2019, 7:40 PM

I think you've proclaimed eternal victory a whole lot too soon. Oh, I hope you're right. But even if you are, it's way too early to call SC not a rival anymore.

We're 5-5 with SC over the past ten years. I know what the cards in our hands and in their hands look like and I know what I expect. I know you can say those five years were the best in SC history and you'd be right, but clearly the last five have been the best in our history.

Let's let it play out. Let's enjoy the games as they are played.

The University of South Carolina is our rival. We're way ahead in the series. We've got a great coaching staff and a lot of momentum. But make no mistake, the Gamecocks are our rival.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you somewhat but

Jul 29, 2019, 7:57 PM

Only from a players point of view. If you ask anyone on the team who is our biggest rival right now, 80% would say Alabama. Ask any fan who our biggest rival is 80% will say South Carolina maybe more.

For me if we lose to Alabama it’s heartbreaking sure, but if we lose to the c0ck5 I’m going to be sick for a long time. I definitely get what point you are trying to make though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nahhh, not buying it...You don't take Spillers "28"

Jul 29, 2019, 7:58 PM

...and essentially spit on it like that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 PM

And the gap in talent level continues to widen after signing day-

Like he-- they aren't.***

Jul 29, 2019, 8:31 PM

Jul 30, 2019, 7:24 AM

I live in NC and my wife and many in her family went to Chapel Hill. My son, who is a big Clemson fan, wants to major in music and "something else", so he is going to Chapel Hill. It is a very good school. I never really considered it a huge rival, certainly not now.

I'd say our rivals are Bama and the Chickens (UofSC, or whatever the hell they call themselves now).

Then why does everybody here keep talking about them?***

Jul 30, 2019, 9:17 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

USCjr is one of three least important games we play

Jul 30, 2019, 9:34 AM

along with the two FCS/G5 teams. It's NEVER mattered. Especially not now when gap between the programs is the largest it's ever been. Like Dabo said, his grandkids won't ever grow up to see this become a rivalry. And we have MUCH bigger fish to fry and more important goals to accomplish.

So with that in mind, why the hell do so many people care if someone transfers there? It's completely inconsequential and insignificant. So MOVE ON.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic