Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we increase our basketball budget, what specifically does
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

If we increase our basketball budget, what specifically does

Mar 23, 2019, 10:02 PM

That mean?

We are not going to increase it by putting more money in Littlejohn , we just finished a major renovation and by most accounts it and the practice facility are in the top half of not top third of the acc in regard to quality of facilities. So people in here want a larger budget for basketball. To me the clear answer is giving more money to our coaching staff. Does anyone in here think giving brad more money will result in him winning more games? I don’t. If spending more money means hiring a better coach then I’m all for it. If that means giving brad more money then I’m against it.

So if anyone in here can explain what spending more on basketball means I’m all ears.
If you want respond by being critical of me and my stance on brad then you are free to start a new thread.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we increase our basketball budget, what specifically does

Mar 23, 2019, 10:39 PM

Dunno. Maybe more money for top flight assistants? Dabo used this to produce great results.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Basketball assistants are mostly valuable for recruiting

Mar 23, 2019, 11:45 PM

You can't hire a Brent vanables and turn half the coaching over to him.

That said, getting some better recruiters on staff couldn't hurt. Brad seems like the kind of guy that would be very loyal to his current staff though.

In the beginning, Dabo took money away from his own salary

Mar 24, 2019, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Re: If we increase our basketball budget, what specifically does ]

to pay assistants more.

Has Brad thought about that? Or can he not afford it? I know it’s hard to scrape by when you only get $2.5 Million a year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the beginning, Dabo took money away from his own salary

Mar 24, 2019, 7:43 AM

Dabo made a contribution but the administration also stepped up in a big way. Basketball has not seen the same commitment

Can you give us a timeline and more details

Mar 24, 2019, 7:46 AM

on how these things played out with football, please?

Thanks

A super-talented dedicated social media & video staff ...

Mar 23, 2019, 10:59 PM

... this has been a big boost for football’s image.

The Vlog thing they do for football is pure gold! Get started doing the same for hoops.

Of course it won’t help much unless the team begins winning more consistently.

But, it’s a bit of a chicken vs egg situation ... it would take time but it’s not really a huge monetary investment compared to a lot of other things.

Step-by-step:

- win a big game, play it up big to recruits
- have a nice season, let the world know
- sign a solid recruit, help him help you recruit others
- got nice new facilities, show em off
- current players have good personalities, put em on display
- coaches seem aloof and a bit wooden, humanize em

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we increase our basketball budget, what specifically does

Mar 23, 2019, 11:02 PM

If spending doesn’t matter let’s cut the CU football budget in half as we are wasting a ton of money. Do we really need 60 staffers and nine coaches? Do we need to overpay all the football coaches so they stay and build continuity? Do we need to continue adding facilities, equipment and all the latest gadgets? Do we need chefs at the Paw Bistro when a Waffle House could put out a bunch of food? Why not just just so on the cheap and see what it gets us?

Or we could hire a known liar/cheater like Aubarn or LSU. No problem...right?

Great point.

Mar 23, 2019, 11:51 PM

For all of the people acting like spending doesn’t matter, how would they feel about cutting our football budget?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The football budget is soaring because we win

Mar 23, 2019, 11:59 PM

big. It grew over time. It was pretty poor when Dabo started out. Money follows wins in most cases

Some don't seem to understand this or that we recruited

Mar 24, 2019, 12:23 AM

guys like Spiller, Hopkins, Boyd, and Watkins before the money poored in and all the new facilities were there. Or how Dabo gave up part of his raise to give the assistants more money for stability.

Re: Some don't seem to understand this or that we recruited

Mar 24, 2019, 7:40 AM

NBaldwin said:

guys like Spiller, Hopkins, Boyd, and Watkins before the money poored in and all the new facilities were there. Or how Dabo gave up part of his raise to give the assistants more money for stability.

All understand this but some don’t understand that football at Clemson had many conference titles and a Natty to show recruits what was possible. Basketball has none of those things.

Those kids didn't care about a Natty that happened before

Mar 24, 2019, 10:40 AM

they were born. Yes there were ACC titles and bowls but no real success in those kids lifetimes. No doubt basketball has a tougher hill to climb but that can't be used as a blanket excuse for Brad. I like Brad but if we're going to move past our basketball history we can't just always hide behind "we'll we've always sucked".

Re: The football budget is soaring because we win

Mar 24, 2019, 7:42 AM [ in reply to The football budget is soaring because we win ]

The wins started with getting money for the west zone and hiring Dabo. Both were important.

Dabo made 800K his first year

Mar 24, 2019, 7:50 AM

And for several years declined raises to pay his assistants. WEZ was investment. So was the first LJ remodel.

There's no comparison between the 2 as football generates far more revenue, but most of the money didnt flow until the wins began to build. Clemson hadn't won a conference championship in 20 years prior to 2011, that history was meaningless to recruits

Re: Great point.

Mar 24, 2019, 1:04 AM [ in reply to Great point. ]

I would imagine the basketball program would be very disappointed if the football team cut their recruiting budget. As would all the other sports since football supports basically every other sport. You let the football money train crash and every sport at Clemson would have to cut their recruiting budget

Yay! Judge found a friend

Mar 24, 2019, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Great point. ]

who is also resentful toward the football program.

I dont know what the recruiting budget is

Mar 23, 2019, 11:57 PM

but that is the biggest need by far

Increase Recruitment Budget

Mar 24, 2019, 8:28 AM

I am not in favor of paying more for a head coach, I believe we have more than enough allocated for that position. We may need to look at the assistant coach budget.
That said, we need to relook at our approach. I think we need a small staff to help us identify talent that is not the one and done type, but are the kids that fit the coaches system, will work hard, and be 4 year players. Use this staff to do more research and allow the coaches more time to coach develop the targeted relationship. (I think this is what football does with Turnipseed, I would like to mimic that for the basketball team.).
Hopefully a change like this might help. Our last 6 coaches struggled to deliver consistent sustained success and I think it is do to recruiting. I am going to define consistent success (short term)as going to 3 consecutive ncaa Tournaments, finishing in the top 5 in the acc yearly and winning the tournament once every 4-6 years.
I feel like we were close to that level of success with Purnell. I feel like out of the last 4 coaches he did the best at finding kids that fit his system. I think his system also lent itself to focusing more on just being athletic and trying to mask our shooting weakness. If we are not going to use a gimmick system to broaden our range of potential recruits, then we have to work harder at finding the players that fit the system and want to come to Clemson.
Anyway, that’s my 2 cents.
Go Tigers

Re: Increase Recruitment Budget

Mar 24, 2019, 8:54 AM

Football recruits 20-25 players a year while basketball recruits 3-4. So do we need a full time position for this role?

Well you can't say facilities are the issue.

Mar 24, 2019, 8:55 AM

Littlejohn Coliseum looks as good as I have ever seen it look. What else is there to spend money on? Recruiting budget?

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Well you can't say facilities are the issue.

Mar 24, 2019, 10:53 AM

Paying players, hookers, etc etc.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic