Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the player entitlement train continues
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,419

If the player entitlement train continues

Oct 2, 2019, 10:11 PM

to gain steam, I think there's a inflection point where Dabo might move on. He seems to really dislike the entitlement culture and has been outspoken about it.

I doubt he'd want to be in a position of herding cats and ego's. We'll see.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Student-Athletes. Not professional athletes

Oct 2, 2019, 10:34 PM

It is time for colleges to return to a true student athlete institution. We might need a minor league system for football, like baseball.

I contend that college football fans would continue to flock to any sporting event between Clemson & SCAR students, no matter how skilled or not.

Maybe the money would follow the farm system. Maybe the money would dry up in colleges, and coaches would need to take a major pay cut. Well so be it.

Let's return to STUDENT-Athletes. Not PROFESSIONAL student-ATHLETES.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the universities were committed to amateurism,

Oct 2, 2019, 10:44 PM

and the CA law was adopted nationwide, I suppose they could simply refuse any media deal that brought their total value about $10MM.

This really is crazy. I honestly don’t see it stopping now. How do you donate to a scholarship fund when players can get Nike deals?

null

Re: Student-Athletes. Not professional athletes

Oct 3, 2019, 7:10 AM [ in reply to Student-Athletes. Not professional athletes ]

TELL ME IF I AM WRONG,because I don't yet fully understand the full scope of this issue but the problem is not STUDENT- athletes vs PROFESSIONAL student ATHLETES as these young men and women( mostly men I agree) are not being PAID to play the sport, but are being compensated for having their images licensed for sale, and not benefitting from it.
There is a local Sports Memorabilia store that has signed, and frame likeness of DeShaun, or Trevor going for 3 and 4 hundred dollars, Jerseys(framed),and helmets that are signed going for amounts even higher than that, and neither DeShaun or Trevor make a dime off that.
And let's not forget how many signed and frame Sports Illustrated Magazines with Hunter in the 2016 National Championship that was sold, and he didn't make a dime.
That is, IMO, the issue, that they're being paid to PLAY THE SPORT because they are not. Instead, it's all about the revenue generated from MERCHANDISE SALES that is the issue.
Is that not what this new law is about?

Re: If the player entitlement train continues

Oct 2, 2019, 11:03 PM

Interesting to see then whether or not these coaches are in it for the money or the love of the game and coaching. In other words, do they quit the now-professional college game and migrate down to the high school level for more normal salaries while walking the walk or do they throw away all pretense and just coach wherever they get paid the most - college or pro ball?

IF it gets out of hand, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Dabo

Oct 2, 2019, 11:41 PM

finish up his contract and retire. I don’t think he was blowing smoke. But can’t imagine he’d get into coaching at the high school level. Maybe just retire outright or get into something else.

Or he could coach until he’s 90. I have no idea.

null

Nope he won’t***

Oct 2, 2019, 11:36 PM

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,419
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic