Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Kelly Bryant throws ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

If Kelly Bryant throws ...

Jul 16, 2018, 3:49 PM

the same number of passes as Deshaun did his senior year KB throw 34 TDs and 19 Ints. No bad stats compared to Deshaun’s 41 TDs and 17 Ints his senior season. With the increased emphasis on the running game this should equal a undefeated season with the Third National Championship in football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you even Trevor Lawrence?***

Jul 16, 2018, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: If Kelly Bryant throws ...

Jul 16, 2018, 4:13 PM

Is this counting that nearly 50% of KB's TD's were against severely over matched teams? (Citadel, Kent State, USuC) take away those games and DW4 almost threw as many TD's in 1 game (twice) compared to KB over an entire season, yikes. You can make the stats look in favor to your opinion in any way but the truth is KB talk and stats aren't going to mix very well especially bringing DW4 in for comparison. KB leads by playing to his teams strengths with slow moving pace and allowing the backs to chip away while the defense doesn't falter, DW4 could take over a game completely and drive the field in 2 mins or less against any team no matter the situation or the opponent something KB can't and didn't have to do.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:22 PM

Simply stated giving KB the same number of throws as DW4 his stats would project out as stated in first post. Sounds more like you are the one trying to manipulate the stats to read as you want.
Don’t understand the fear of KB having a breakout season and winning NC. Always thought that was the goal not to play the favored player of certain fans.

Jul 17, 2018, 6:42 PM

It's okay, you can admit your team is scared to play Trevor Lawrence. Might want to look below. Just shut down your theory. Probably didn't expect there was more rushing in Watson's years too, huh?

Jul 17, 2018, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: If Kelly Bryant throws ... ]

He can’t throw in the middle of the field. In layman’s terms he sucks

Jul 17, 2018, 7:36 PM

It's more difficult to throw more often though.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:18 PM

That's why GT is always one of the best teams in the nation in terms of yards per pass. Kelly Bryant was facing defenses that were primarily focused on stopping our running game last year. If he threw the ball more his completion % and YPA would probably drop and his INT rate would probably increase.

Re: It's more difficult to throw more often though.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:25 PM

If defenses were more focused on our running game and KB throws the ball more in one on one coverage his completion and TD % all go up due to receivers being open.

But he doesn’t because he can’t.

Jul 16, 2018, 8:01 PM

If he could he would... then strong defenses like bama couldn’t stack the box and hold us to 6 points.

Get a clue. He’s not going to beat CFP caliber teams.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's more difficult to throw more often though.

Jul 16, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to It's more difficult to throw more often though. ]

If defenses were more focused on our running game and KB throws the ball more in one on one coverage his completion and TD % all go up due to receivers being open.

Jul 16, 2018, 5:01 PM

Me thinks you're looking at this all wrong OP. The key is to look at WHERE KB throws the ball or HOW DEEP he throws the ball, rather than how many times he throws those short passes. Defenses know they can take away the short stuff without a huge threat of those deep passes doing much damage.

Maybe look at how his percentage is for passes over 10 yards or over 20 yards.

The good thing is - very few teams can take advantage of KB's weakness. The bad thing is - good teams can do it, and Bama made it very clear how that works. Maybe we can just save TL to play in the Playoff games. (kidding)

Jul 17, 2018, 4:33 PM

This x 10.

I was a big fan of KB until the spring game. But in that game i saw him tuck the ball and run at least 5x even though his running killed the play. Now TL scrambled for a 10-yard gain and first down before he was touched, and HJ scored a rushing TD on an option read without being touched, so it's not as though the QB rush was disallowed; but none of KB's multiple runs were quality runs going for even 3 yards.
Why would an experienced QB make that decision repeatedly? You're already losing, so wasting plays doesn't help; and it's a spring game, so eating clock doesn't steal time from your opponent. So why run?
I came up with 2 reasons, neither of which are positive for KB: 1) he thought a coach or defender might let him "get by" on a run and make a positive gain; this is doubtful but possible. Or 2) he was truly clueless where the best risks were to be had by throwing the ball, and he didn't want to show his ignorance to coaches, teammates, 50,000 fans and an ESPN audience. I find this not only possible but probable, and I've since gone back and verified it in numerous games.

It's bad enough that Kelly was statistically bad in the spring game, but if he had 5 more incompletions and a pick he might not be the starter today.

Problem is, and yes it is a problem, our spring game D is the best D he will face all year--until we face Bama again (since we don't play Auburn this year). But when we play Bama again, he will still be as clueless where the best risks are. And many of y'all will still be telling us to blame the OL and not poor likeable Kelly.

Jul 17, 2018, 4:36 PM

Kelly could have thrown the same number of passes as DW4 but he elected to tuck-and-run instead of throw the ball.

Sorry. No bonus points.

Jul 17, 2018, 6:38 PM

Since you apparently don't get it yet, let me clue you into something...

2016, Deshaun Watson threw MORE but ran the same amount with very similar stats (only 34 yards or so different and 2 rushing TD's less)...but had MUCH more passing yards and passing TD's.

The reason KB didn't pass as much...is because he can't, and he called his own number to run 28 more times than Deshaun in 2016. Oh, and you really don't want to compare to 2015 Deshaun, who ran it a TON more (207 attempts vs Bryant's 194), over 1100 yards rushing that year (vs Bryant's 665) and 1 more rushing TD than Bryant....while still having 4109 yards passing and 35 passing TD's.

Oh, and another little flaw in your attempt...
Clemson carried the ball rushing more in 2016 than they did in 2017:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/228/year/2016
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/228/clemson-tigers
591 attempts in 2016 vs 578 in 2017.

Jul 17, 2018, 7:16 PM

It better be in warmups

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive