Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson or any other ACC team finishes with 1 loss, then
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

If Clemson or any other ACC team finishes with 1 loss, then

Jun 27, 2012, 2:20 PM

we are just as likely to get in a 4 team playoff as anyone else. In fact, we would have made it in last year if we stayed at one loss.

These folks saying an ACC team "must" go undefeated to have a chance to be in 4 teams, they don't know what they're talking about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Clemson or any other ACC team finishes with 1 loss, then

Jun 27, 2012, 2:24 PM

We just need 2 good ooc games which we have and all the other teams includeing us play up to par and we should be ok.

Need some ACC teams to play better.***

Jun 27, 2012, 2:28 PM

Re: Need some ACC teams to play better.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:37 PM

Yeah let's hang our hopes on them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2012, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If Clemson or any other ACC team finishes with 1 loss, then ]

> We just need 2 good ooc games which we have and all
> the other teams includeing us play up to par and we
> should be ok.

You have two out of conference games ....now.....what makes you think you will have them when the big 64 is in place?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we aren't in the "Big 64" it's over anyway.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:42 PM

Anyone who can't see that the remnants of the ACC would be about as powerful as the MAC in that scenario is blind.

In the current system we are at a disadvantage. If we were to somehow get left out of the next round of expansion, we might as well go back to the SoCon.

Luckily I do not believe there are 64 teams with more to offer than Clemson. It would take a complete meltdown of leadership for us to be left out in that scenario.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone is at the mercy of their strength of schedule as

Jun 27, 2012, 2:27 PM

well as how other teams fare. If your conference is strong (and thus your schedule) and you win, you will be there. If your conference is weak, you better win all but one. You have to address strength of conference with your non-conference games to "help" your team and situation.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who decides SOS? There is a lot of bias currently.***

Jun 27, 2012, 2:27 PM

There will always be bias in some form.***

Jun 27, 2012, 2:58 PM

Not necessarily.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:12 PM

If it's done fairly it's a moving target.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Who decides SOS? There is a lot of bias currently.*** ]

It changes with the win/loss record of every team on a schedule.

I think it's pure math and has no bias. I like that part.

Such as the NCAAB's selection committee decisions about who get in the tournament there are no complaints except from the bubble teams. Sometimes a team might feel slighted about their seed but getting the invite is most important.

Unfortunately for the ACC even our undefeated Conference champ may be considered on the bubble if the SEC, Pac, Big 12 and B1G present one loss conference champions with higher RPI. I still think we get in but only as a fourth seed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who decides SOS? There is a lot of bias currently.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Who decides SOS? There is a lot of bias currently.*** ]

Who decides SOS....the bosses of the big 64!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not entirely...

Jun 27, 2012, 2:48 PM

there MAY be a scenario where we could get in... but we would have to see some major crap from the other top 4 conferences.

Strength of schedule is what's going to hurt us even if we do have 1 loss. I can completely see a scenario where the SEC gets 2 teams, Big12 gets 1, and the Big10 or Pac 12 gets 1. If anyone from the ACC loses one game, it's a crap shoot to get in.

The bottom line is, we should not have to be in a scenario where we have to cross our fingers, rub a rabbit's foot, and say our mother Mary's to get into a playoff. If we were in any other of the 4 top conferences and had 1 loss, we're in... no doubt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

This just isn't true. Things change every few years.

Jun 27, 2012, 2:58 PM

Remember when Auburn, USC, and OK were all undefeated? Those 3 would have gotten in, and I'm sure multiple one loss teams would have been left out.

I think that year is interesting too because it started a shift toward SEC "compassion" in which people felt that Auburn (the SEC) got screwed with OK getting in over Auburn.

No doubt the SEC has earned their rep over the last few years, but SOS is based on polls which are based on perception. It will take 2-3 years of the SEC losing before they stop getting the benefit of the doubt.. think Notre Dame syndrome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

A one loss Clemson team will not have to cross their fingers

Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 PM [ in reply to not entirely... ]

for anything.

If the other conferences have undefeateds or one loss

Jun 28, 2012, 8:58 AM

teams and Clemson say loses to a 2-10 Turtle team, you better cross more than fingers

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

As would any team that loses to a 2-10 team.***

Jun 28, 2012, 8:59 AM

I agree but it will depend on the schedule...

Jun 27, 2012, 2:49 PM

that particular year. As long as we play a good acc schedule and a few sec schools as non conference it make it more conceiveable. If FSU left the acc and we didnt play VT or GT, and sc fell back off and our other 3 non conference games were weak we would not make it. However with FSU, VT, SC, AU, (or upcoming GA) GT and NC ST. I could see an 11-1 Clemson team wining the ACC and finishing 12-1 definatly in the top 4.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree but it will depend on the schedule...

Jun 27, 2012, 10:25 PM

> that particular year. As long as we play a good acc
> schedule and a few sec schools as non conference it
> make it more conceiveable. If FSU left the acc and we
> didnt play VT or GT, and sc fell back off and our
> other 3 non conference games were weak we would not
> make it. However with FSU, VT, SC, AU, (or upcoming
> GA) GT and NC ST. I could see an 11-1 Clemson team
> wining the ACC and finishing 12-1 definatly in the
> top 4.

Golly gee willikers....why do so many not see the flaw in this logic. The sec is part of the big 64! They don't have to play ya anymore when they are finished expanding.

Nothing makes them do it! No matter how good a team Carson Newman puts together ...their have zero thought that they can win the division 1 national championship.

What you are saying..." as long as we have 2 sec schools" on our schedule, and taken care of bidness....is crazy. They play us now because they "need" us when they get to 64 , they go to a 9 game conference schedule and fill the rest of the games with occ from the other three big 64 conference members. This effectively kills the other conferences.

Re: I think a 1 Loss ACC team is a big maybe on getting in

Jun 27, 2012, 2:50 PM

I am not comfortable that a 1 loss ACC team gets in. Every talking head is saying we would more than likely have to be undefeated so who knows. And everyone on Tnet acts like we are all set because last year we would have gotten in with one loss. The problem is that historically it is pretty hard to get through the season with just one loss. In the last decade, only one ACC team has gone into the bowl season with one loss and that was a 10-1 MD team that was ranked 10th. Few teams from any league go undefeated and I think we will always have a lot of competition from 1 loss teams from the big 4 conferences. I believe that most years a 2 loss SEC team would finish ahead of a 1 loss Clemson. My gut says we might go undefeated once in a blue moon and get in and might get in once in a great while with 1 loss but might also miss out some years as a 1 loss team.

we would not have been in last year

Jun 27, 2012, 3:01 PM

I don't think... I think Stanford would've edged us out

Since 2002, the only years we MIGHT have been in the top 4 with 1 loss was 2003 and 2007. THAT'S IT!

With one loss, yes, we would have been in.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 PM

Re: With one loss, yes, we would have been in.***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:38 PM

One loss, the highest we got was 7. You think we would have jumped all the other 1 loss teams?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We beat USC last year, we're in, IMO. They were like 9th in

Jun 27, 2012, 10:16 PM [ in reply to we would not have been in last year ]

BCS when we played .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We beat USC last year, we're in, IMO. They were like 9th in

Jun 27, 2012, 10:42 PM

Negative. We dropped out of the top 10 after losing to state.

We were talking about one loss teams, so it was

Jun 27, 2012, 11:49 PM

assuming we beat State also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were talking about one loss teams, so it was

Jun 28, 2012, 12:04 AM

You assume we would jump all the other 1 loss teams.

Just Stanford, not Bama, LSU, OSU .***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:15 AM

1983 was the last time we had only one loss at 9-1-1.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:07 PM

And the ACC was much easier then than today. Going through a season with just one loss has not been a piece of cake for us either. That's no spin. That's just facts.

No harder for us than anyone else.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 PM

1 loss or better seasons are extremely rare for anyone. But we are obviously getting better and have just as good of a chance as anyone.

The fact is we have rarely done it. Right now, we are flying

Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 PM

blind on what we would like to happen, when we have rarely shown the ability to do it. Yes, we can say we will do it. But that's no comfort when we rarely have. We just disagree. I want you to be right. I fear you are not. And I'm among many Clemson fans with that concern.

And don't forget that we are in a conference that others

Jun 27, 2012, 10:21 PM

look down on. A one loss SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 10 team has more respect than a one loss ACC team. Going 2-13 in BCS bowls brings that disrespect.

The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the

Jun 27, 2012, 10:27 PM

last 5 and 10 years. It's not like there are a dozen teams finishing with one loss or less.

Re: The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the

Jun 27, 2012, 10:41 PM

Wrong. Over the last 10 years we have the worst record other than big east again non ACC teams.

Re: The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the***

Jun 27, 2012, 10:44 PM [ in reply to The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the ]

Re: The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the

Jun 27, 2012, 10:50 PM [ in reply to The ACC has averaged out as the 4th best conference over the ]

> the acc has been the top 4 conferences thelast 5 and 10 years. It's not like there are a dozen
> teams finishing with one loss or less.

again real sllloooowly.....the sec and the big 12 have partnered. The pac and the BIG have always been partnered.

The ACC is "partnered" with the big least....there WILL be 64 teams. Do the math. You can't play your way into the championship going forward if you are not in one of the big 4 conferences. What part of that is so difficult for you to grasp?

Exactly. This is what the pollyanas fail to grasp.

Jun 28, 2012, 9:44 AM

We (the ACC) were done in when Slive partnered with the Big 12. That day will go down in history as the day the ACC died, as far as football is concerned. Free throws, anyone?

Yet again...

Jun 27, 2012, 10:26 PM [ in reply to The fact is we have rarely done it. Right now, we are flying ]

We just came off our best season in 20 years. All indications are that we're growing by leaps and bounds. If we continue to grow there's no reason to think we have any more of a difficult time getting in a 4 team playoff than anyone else.

Re: Yet again...

Jun 27, 2012, 10:35 PM

> We just came off our best season in 20 years. All
> indications are that we're growing by leaps and
> bounds. If we continue to grow there's no reason to
> think we have any more of a difficult time getting in
> a 4 team playoff than anyone else.

Stanley...let me type it slower.......you would be correct if the rules were not changing. I know that you are a true Clemson fan, but I have a sense you may have been dropped on your head as a baby.

The game is changing. There are only 64 invitations. You can't play yourself in from number 65!

66- X will have their own NCAA championship.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:08 PM

Just like in 1981, we won the NC because we were the only top ten team left undefeated. No matter who it is, lot of things have to line up right to win it. If there had been another top ten team undefeated, we would most likely have been #2.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 PM

> we are just as likely to get in a 4 team playoff as
> anyone else. In fact, we would have made it in last
> year if we stayed at one loss.
>
> These folks saying an ACC team "must" go undefeated
> to have a chance to be in 4 teams, they don't know
> what they're talking about.

You are dellusional

Yeah...

Jun 27, 2012, 10:12 PM

It's not like last year wasn't a perfect example or anything.

Re: Yeah...

Jun 27, 2012, 10:49 PM

A perfect example of getting left out with one loss? Yes.

We have tough out of conference schedule so yea we would

Jun 27, 2012, 10:14 PM

make it most years IMO. VT with their OOC probably wouldn't...one of easiet schedules in country last year.

Two things make this a shaky argument.

Jun 27, 2012, 10:44 PM

1. Will we still schedule two tough OOC games when we have a nine game conference slate?

2. Will SEC teams still schedule us when they won't need even the appearance of an OOC slate to make the four team playoff?

If the answer to either of those is 'no,' then we are at a giant disadvantage, because no ninth ACC game will make up for losing the *perception* of beating an SEC school.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point but you need to amend to say "most"

Jun 27, 2012, 11:47 PM

9th ACC games...

I like the 9 game ACC schedule. It increases our chances of winning the division.

Re: We have tough out of conference schedule so yea we would

Jun 27, 2012, 10:47 PM [ in reply to We have tough out of conference schedule so yea we would ]

We have to win them all to play in the big show...A 1 loss ACC team will not ever make it in....If you think so you're sadly mistaken...

Depends on the year and team. We make it last year. VT

Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 AM

prolly not lat year.

Jun 28, 2012, 1:22 AM

Why one loss? A couple of years ago there where five undefeated teams... what if this happened with each of the five big conferences?

Are you seriously going to tell me that an undefeated ACC champion gets in over one of the other four undefeated champions? Assuming that the SEC, BigXII and B1G champions get the first three spots (for arguments sake), do you take an undefeated Clemson over an undefeated USC? Undefeated Clemson over undefeated Texas? Undefeated Clemson over undefeated Michigan? Clemson over Alabama?

I just don't see that happening. So why do you assume that it would happen with one loss?

You're an idiot...Go buy some crack by Willie B

Jun 28, 2012, 2:05 AM

USCe couldn't beat Aub last year and the SEC couldn't give less of a #### about the coots, so let's talk about a "one loss USCe or a one loss, oh I don't know, ANYBODY," because no one gives a good ####### about the #### coots. Period.

A Tiger man needs no introduction...

Re: You're an idiot...Go buy some crack by Willie B

Jun 28, 2012, 2:22 AM

Nice irrational hate rant you got going on there... how about sticking with the topic at hand?

The USC in my post was Southern Cal... I was asking why one loss is being seen as the standard match-up between the teams chosen for the final four. All things being equal (record wise) an ACC team would not be in against the other four conferences.

As to your brilliantly stated diatribe... no, USC did not beat Auburn, but they did beat Clemson... period.

I find that 97% of the people on this site

Jun 28, 2012, 8:47 AM

are complete idiots anyways. That's what happens when you Mom let's you live in the basement when your in your 30s.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic