Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IMO Stoudt has done nothing to lose the starting job.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

IMO Stoudt has done nothing to lose the starting job.

Sep 2, 2014, 2:47 PM

We saw Deshaun play, admittedly very well, in one series.

We have no idea beyond that how much of the playbook he knows, how he's grasped the plays he does know, how well he can read coverages compared to Stoudt, how much film he's watched, etc.

We'll hopefully be seeing a lot of him this weekend so we should have a bigger sample size but, aside from the pick, I thought Stoudt handled his first start, on the road, in front of a hostile, redneck crowd, pretty well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes you don't lose a job, someone else takes it

Sep 2, 2014, 2:48 PM

not that i'm advocating for one over the other at this point

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well then let's say Watson hasn't earned it yet.***

Sep 2, 2014, 2:57 PM

Re: Well then let's say Watson hasn't earned it yet.***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:44 PM

Hasn't earned it yet??!! You said that jokingly, correct?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think he grasps a LOT more than you think.........

Sep 2, 2014, 2:50 PM

as evidence by the fact that the coaches felt comfortable enough to put the true freshman in down 7 in Athens.........and his drive was perfection.

and while stoudt hasn't done anything to lose the job

watson has done enough to warrant more PT..............and going forward stoudt may not "lose" the job it's likely gonna be watson did enough to "win" the job.........if that makes sense

Per Dabo Swinney...

Sep 2, 2014, 2:51 PM

“We know he’s going to play. We haven’t sat down and penciled that in yet. We’re going to play him and he’ll play whenever. He’s not going to be just a situational guy. When he plays, we can call anything. There is nothing that we feel he can’t do. He’s not a package guy. He’s not a short yardage guy. He’s not a bring him in only on this side of the field."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just disagree completely on all points

Sep 2, 2014, 2:55 PM

1. Stoudt for much of the game looked kind of loss.
2. He made some bad throws early in the game
3. he didn't seem to have the leadership it takes to take ownership of the offense and get it going
4. Watson is the future and he showed his ability
5. The only way he will get better at the plays and at reading defenses is to play and he will only get better.

I compare this entire situation to the Parker/Boyd situation. I think we are always best served to play the most talented player, especially when they are the future. Play the best and let everything else work itself out. That goes with RB's as well.

I think we are best served to endure the pains of inexperience while our talent gains experience than to endure the pains of inability to play those experienced. We win in the long run and possibly in the short.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just disagree completely on all points

Sep 2, 2014, 3:00 PM

No its more like willy Simmons and whitehurst. Parker was prob just as talented as boyd.

Parker was the better QB at that time.***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:01 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Parker was the better QB at that time.***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:05 PM

Most experienced? Yeah. Better? no. Especially not after the rib injury.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 2, 2014, 3:11 PM

I'm gonna somewhat disagree and say that at that point it had to be a wash, hence why Parker continued to get the nod. Boyd obviously looked pretty bad in the SC game (but he had no receivers to his credit) and even though he was better than Parker in the bowl game something still seemed "off".

I think Boyd's improvement from the Car Care Bowl to the Troy game in 2011 is one of the lesser talked about developments from that season. He looked like a different QB with Morris here IMHO.

Actually, Boyd was very unimpressive and a bit lost until

Sep 2, 2014, 3:17 PM

the 2nd half of that Troy game, when it seemed the light finally came on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sep 2, 2014, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker was the better QB at that time.*** ]

I remember Boyd coming into the Car Care game after a poor performance by our Offense and driving down the field for a score and a TD pass to Brandon Ford.

Re: I just disagree completely on all points

Sep 2, 2014, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I just disagree completely on all points ]

Boyd has more talent in his pinky finger than parker had in his entire arm when it comes to a football field.

Yep***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Well my point is, I don't define who's a better QB based

Sep 2, 2014, 3:03 PM [ in reply to I just disagree completely on all points ]

on how Watson looked on one drive (which, again, was admittedly pretty great). You have to take into account factors the coaching staff is in the sole position to judge.

i agree except for the parker/boyd comparison.........

Sep 2, 2014, 3:19 PM [ in reply to I just disagree completely on all points ]

that situation was totally different IMO

a. Parker had not only a whole season as starter under his belt, but had won the atlantic and played for the ACC championship........he had LIGHTYEARS more meaningful experience.......he was also LIGHTYEARS better than stoudt.

b. where boyd should've been playing was toward the end when the season was tanked anyways.......that's when boy

..........that's when boyd should've taken over"***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:20 PM

Re: ..........that's when boyd should've taken over"***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:22 PM

Well that's what I mean by the comparison. I'm not necessarily saying Boyd should have started the season. That would be a little risky with Parker having been the starters. But after the Auburn game Boyd should have been on the field.

ok.....i agree with that***

Sep 2, 2014, 3:23 PM

When the kid that was playing high school football this time last year

Sep 2, 2014, 2:56 PM

Comes in and looks smoother and more in command than the fifth year senior, I think it's time for a change. Call it losing your job or call it your job being taken... doesn't really matter to me

Re: When the kid that was playing high school football this time last year

Sep 2, 2014, 3:07 PM

Exactly right and when he had his bad series the OL was gassed and the bulldogs were pinning their ears back by then.

He had 5 passes of 10+ yards fall incomplete through

Sep 2, 2014, 3:00 PM

no fault of his own, either drops or pass interference that was not called. Coaches have already said the receiver made the wrong read on the int Cole threw. Stoudt played well for the most part, and I expect him to continue as our starter.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: He had 5 passes of 10+ yards fall incomplete through

Sep 2, 2014, 3:42 PM

Given ample time and opportunity...Watson may win the job..not a knock on Stoudt..I think Watson can be special..I.M.O. I dont think Boyd or Stoudt make that throw to Peake...maybe if Sammy were running that route...but I digress...I hope this doesn't evolve into the dreaded QB controversy...but those things usually develop when losses pile up .If "WE" are winning tben its just water cooler message board talk...realistically. ..this is a "building" year.Ten wins ..beat the coots..develop the young talent..win the bowl and send tbe seniors out on a good note and crank it up next year...which by the way there will be question marks because of attrition...but..if the recruiting continues at a high level we may not be talking about these sort of things and just reload year after year ..i admit it im just as greedy as any fan...I want it all and I want it now..but..we all know life isn't like that for regular folks...lejust try and be positive and optimistic..and remember...it wasnt too long ago that this sight was bemoaning losses to wake maryland and georgia tech..just my two cents..trying to be pawsitve..peace be with you tigernet...:)

Re: IMO Stoudt has done nothing to lose the starting job.

Sep 2, 2014, 3:01 PM

Watson will be the starter after the FSU game.

Sep 2, 2014, 3:05 PM

Always after the most important one.

Sep 2, 2014, 3:18 PM

I think if we come out and get down by 7 or 10 early and their defense is manning up on the receivers and coming at Cole, you have to think about making a change to at least change the way to opposing DC approaches things. That's better than calling a trick pass from someone like Sam Cooper or something.

Here we go again

Sep 2, 2014, 3:23 PM

Uh, uh..

Just because you know the play book, doesn't mean you can execute it.
And anyways, what makes you think he knows the playbook better? Cause he's a 5th yr sr?

wasn't riding the bench for nothing-CS.

Bring On "The Kid" !

Sep 2, 2014, 3:47 PM

IMHO, the short time he was in, he looked great ! The team seemed to "perk up" also .... I guess the Coaches were letting the veteran prove himself ... the FSU game will be VERY interesting, who starts at QB ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic