Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I watched some old footage of William Perry yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

I watched some old footage of William Perry yesterday

Jun 25, 2018, 9:54 AM

I just have to say that young man was absolutely incredible!! Those who say you should enjoy this season with the Power Rangers are exactly right! History is being made! William Perry, especially when lined up beside his "little" brother Michael Dean, was just a remarkable athlete. The only player I can compare him to in terms of demanding a double team on every play, sometimes triple team because back then teams played a fullback to help block in the offensive backfield, he would just toss them aside and push the qb out of the pocket on nearly every play.

He led his collegiate team to a national championship as just a freshman and his pro team, the Chicago Bears!!!!, to a super bowl trophy! William Perry you were incredible! So much speed on that 6'1" 320+ frame! These DL are good, very good, I'm not comparing them to Perry because football has changed styles so much since 81-84. Clemson was 37-6-2 in that period. Not too shabby.

It's easier to get sacks now because teams pass 40+ times a game instead of 20-30. I can't recall him missing a game due to injury in four years; see back then players actually played four years of football while in college and I still long for those days. That soon changed after this.

SO in conclusion, guys like William Perry, Chester McGlockton - a three year starter - Michael Dean Perry, Vance Hammond,Nick Eason, Dan Benish, Gaines Adams - who knows what he would've done in the NFL were it not for that tragedy, William Devane, Rich Tuten who benched 525+ at MG, Rob Bodacious Bodine, and the incredible one who helped start it all Jim Stuckey! Brentson Buckner, Carlos Watkins just incredible men who paved the way for the stars of the 2000's!

There have been so many recently it would take too long to name them all. Then I hear this Pickens kid try to say our linemen just fade away... how uneducated a statement is that? Does he never even watch an NFL game? Maybe Muschump has him drinking the garnet cool-aid but that statement is even more uneducated than the idea Virginia Tech's DC is better than Venables defense!

Anyway there have been hero's in every era but a DL like the one we will put on the field this year is unusual in this day and time as long as they don't play like guys afraid of getting hurt before they go pro as we have seen that before, especially on other teams, but I think instead their motivation will be playing extra hard to impress scouts and remain early 1st or 2nd round picks.

This is a great season that only comes along every couple of decades. Fortunately here at Clemson, thanks to Venables and the rest of this defensive staff and Dabo and the offensive coaches it is becoming an annual event.

Why in the world any decent player would prefer picking the coots to Clemson is beyond me! Would you rather play for the team ranked first in preseason polls or barely in the top 25 if at all? Some things just boggle the mind. But then they can't all be Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I watched some old footage of William Perry yesterday

Jun 25, 2018, 10:19 AM

If I recall correctly, Chester McGlockton redshirted Michael Dean Perry's last year...the two of them could have played together.

Chester was scary looking just walking to class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

like this ?

Jun 25, 2018, 10:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wl9au4knak

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes ty!! Perfect!

Jun 25, 2018, 10:38 AM

Back then a linemen weighing over 315lbs was huge!! Now these guys are 6'5" 350lbs in many cases. Just like my eighth grade sons are going to be taller than I before long!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

believe me, im

Jun 25, 2018, 11:39 AM

stoked about the power rangers. but i'd take that 1981 dline over this one ANYDAY

I was looking for that video. Thanks for posting.

Jun 25, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to like this ? ]

I always think of that when someone mentions the Fridge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 11:47 AM

IN college William was great. I always felt if he could have kept his weight later on more like Michael Deans he would have been an unstoppable force with a much longer career.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ask ole Dave Rimington how good Perry was

Jun 25, 2018, 12:13 PM

William had the best Center in the country, the guy who the award is named after, on an oxygen tank near the end of the game. Dave was a senior and William was a freshman. Do the math, folks.

If Christian or Dex wrecks a center like William Perry did, in the NC game, i'll give them props. Until then, neither of our DT's, as much as people would love to say so, have been as dominant as william at the position of DT.

Jun 25, 2018, 12:03 PM

Gotta go back and add Archie Reese to that list. 2 Superbowls! And Jeff Bryant on the NC team but had a great career in Seattle as a DT in the 3-4 defense

Remember Nelson Wallace?

Jun 25, 2018, 1:01 PM

The original nose tackle...did he even weigh 220? Strong as an ox and cat quick! Some of you more 'seasoned' T-Netters may remember him timing the snap for a punt perfectly versus the Scoks ('76)...ball simply rolled halfway to the punter. (That was the original 'Silent Out' game...)
;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember Nelson Wallace?

Jun 25, 2018, 2:21 PM

Welch?

The funny thing is they (William and Michael Dean) were the

Jun 25, 2018, 9:26 PM

SLOWEST two students I've ever seen walking around campus. Michael would waddle slower than a sloth from one class to another. And then on Saturdays he moved like he was a 150-pound sprinter. Dangedest thang I've ever seen. Guess they were saving up all their energy for the field. In any case, the flew when they had to.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic