Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was in the Crabtree Valley Mall yesterday at 2:30
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,264

I was in the Crabtree Valley Mall yesterday at 2:30

Aug 14, 2016, 8:18 PM

I was in the Crabtree Valley mall yesterday during the shooting and have had a couple of people ask if I am alright. I am. I have also seen several stories about what happened. I want to write this out because I've been thinking about it all day and actually had a few dreams about it last night, all of which resulted in me waking horrified. This is my account as best as I can remember.

I was looking at and playing a game on my phone, when I heard two or three pops thrang out where the food court was, close to my left. I looked up to try to figure out what exactly happened, when I felt the floor begin to shake in a similar manner to a minor earthquake.
I looked over the balcony and saw people running. At first, I thought there was some sort of sale going on and the store had just opened up. What I saw reflected the chaos that ensues when Black Friday sales open. After a moment, I begin to see people looking over their shoulders and picking up small children. I felt my blood run cold as it dawned on me this is serious.
My next thought was that of every piece of footage I've ever seen of the running of the bulls. Finally, my mind settled on a scene from a zombie movie, as I looked to my left and saw everyone pushing people toward the exits. Someone yelled, "He's got a gun!" I was there with a friend and she tells me my eyes were wide and she could see the dread in my face as I turned around and told her to run.
We ran outside as quickly as possible, heading straight for the car. This is when my friend tells me she lost her wallet and shoes inside. I try to go back to get the items after a few minutes of discussing what the best plan would be, but there is already a man there keeping people out and telling people to get away from the windows. Because he appeared to have some sort of badge but was not in any sort of uniform, I am guessing this man was an off duty police officer, government agent, or military personnel. If you are this man and are reading this, I would like to thank you for your quick thinking and taking control of an impossible situation.
I head back to the car and see another wave of fleeing people. This is the moment we decide getting her things is not worth it at the moment. We wound up leaving the parking lot and driving across the street as my friend tried calling the police department and mall to inform them her wallet is lost.

The whole scene is similar to a surrealist painting now, and I am already beginning to question what really happened. Memory is fickle at best and easily manipulated. I cannot say for sure that I actually heard the pops, or if it was the sound of people running, but the panicked stampedes were real and terrifying. My friend recovered her shoes but has had no luck with her wallet. I hope no one ever has to go through this, but I know it will happen again somewhere, and when it does, I will be praying for those affected with a new found understanding of the situation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was in the Crabtree Valley Mall yesterday at 2:30

Aug 14, 2016, 8:47 PM

I am glad you and your friend are safe. I hope that talking about it will help you cope with the event. Scary stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt better yesterday, but I'm taking today off work

Aug 15, 2016, 7:45 AM

I couldn't sleep again last night and don't need to work in a chrmistry lab sleep deprived.

crazy scene yesterday

Aug 14, 2016, 9:01 PM

I had some cousins through marriage hiding out in dressing rooms. My wife was on her way to get her iPhone fixed. Man so many emotions. What a crazy scene. Glad only minor injuries from the stampede of people.

Re: I was in the Crabtree Valley Mall yesterday at 2:30

Aug 14, 2016, 9:27 PM

Anyone who believes they left behind items during the frantic evacuations should contact Crabtree Valley Mall or visit their Facebook page. According to a post on the mall's website, people can pick up items starting Sunday at noon in the Community Room beside the HWY 55 restaurant near the food court.

She went there. Her shoes were returned but not her wallet.

Aug 15, 2016, 7:41 AM

She's having to replace everything.

Just heard from my friend that she got her wallet back

Aug 15, 2016, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I was in the Crabtree Valley Mall yesterday at 2:30 ]

Apparently someone took her wallet for safe keeping and just contacted her. She has everything back now. Everything is back to normal, for the most part.

I was driving back home to Va from dirty myrtle

Aug 15, 2016, 4:34 PM

Thought I heard a story about this. Didn't they say there is no evidence of a gun being fired? However they didn't say what it was or have they figured it out?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got CCW?***

Aug 15, 2016, 4:51 PM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Glad your talking.. i would highly encourage you

Aug 15, 2016, 4:58 PM

to find a decent trauma therapist and get some counseling to assimilate the fear into a way you can comprehend and let go of without blocking or ignoring the event.

The Body Keeps the Score is an excellent read.. traumatic events, whether its your story, abuse, or a car accident, affect us all differently. The loss of control can be terrifying. Hang in there friend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,264
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic