Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I used to love, I mean love!, ACC basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 4,110

I used to love, I mean love!, ACC basketball

Jan 22, 2018, 7:02 AM

When I was a kid. On Channel 3 there would be one game after another many days from noon until late in the evening. I would pull for Clemson and Bill Foster and Cliff Ellis and Rick Barnes as coaches. There were transfers but not mere as many as today and we always seemed to have a great big man like John Moose Campbell or Horace Wyatt or Elden Campbell or Buckner or Raymond Jones. It just isn't the same today. Those were not times of huge wins except the year we made it to the final eight but I pulled for them like crazy. It was so much fun. Most players remained four years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I used to love, I mean love!, ACC basketball

Jan 22, 2018, 7:06 AM

So...where you going with this, aside from nostalgia? The game has changed...transfers are a part of it...and seldom do Tiger players leave early. Who left before KJ?

I like the transfers...physical and mental maturity...something of a known commodity, plus a year of practicing. It makes the existing players better, in my view. Honestly, I view Mitchell as a transfer-lite, as he picked Vandy over Clemson, then saw the light and came home.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to like to play Rock'em Sock'em Robuts, and

Jan 22, 2018, 7:12 AM

lust after Loni Anderson and Heather Locklear. Ahhh the good old days.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry if a little reminiscing caused just discord.

Jan 22, 2018, 7:19 AM

My only point is I miss the way the way the game was run on the collegiate level then but I don't expect everyone to understand. I realize everything changes but I still listen when my dad spoke of the way things used to be. Again I'm sorry it caused such abrasive reactions.

We're just messing with you man. No discord.***

Jan 22, 2018, 7:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. No problem. Go Tigers!

Jan 22, 2018, 7:31 AM

Nm

Nobody's being abrasive, but the ironic part of your post

Jan 22, 2018, 8:09 AM [ in reply to sorry if a little reminiscing caused just discord. ]

is that you say it just isn't the same today. Except Clemson basketball checks all your boxes...well except for back then it wasn't a time of huge wins and this Clemson team already has some huge wins this year. So...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

It was equal to football them. One and dones has killed it

Jan 22, 2018, 8:12 AM

in comparison to what it was. Grant Hill stayed 4 years I believe or at least 3. Those were the days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What has the one and dones killed?***

Jan 22, 2018, 8:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Watching stud players play 4 years in college.

Jan 22, 2018, 8:22 AM

Moreover, the wealth was spread around more back then. All of the 5 star stud type players didn't just go to the same schools always. There wouldn't be enough space at Kentucky to take them all year after year.

How long ago was it that stud players played all 4 years in

Jan 22, 2018, 8:45 AM

college? Also, the best players have always gone to the same schools. Those schools have shifted some over the years as UCLA is no longer the powerhouse it once was, but Kentucky has always been a destination for the best players in the country. It doesn't mean other schools can't get them. But when you look at this objectively, Coach Cal at UK has this reputation of only going after the 1 and dones. His freshmen are a pick part of every NBA draft. But has he had more success in the tournament as a result? I mean, more than what you can expect for the Kentucky program? I don't think so. They may even underachieve.

It's been years and that's when college basketball got worse...

Jan 22, 2018, 8:54 AM

after they all started going. It probably started getting worse about the time of Elton Brand. Right abut that time. It was never the same. Kentucky was always one of the better places, but they couldn't take 5 or 6 of the best every year. Their rosters were full. The reason why Kentucky and Duke maybe underachieve with all of the ones and dones, because they don't have 4 years to mature. What it does make interesting is that the standard college programs that develop players for 4 years like Butler and Nova do, can matchup and still win it all or play in the Final Four, due to age. maturity, coaching, and skill. Still the one and done has killed it some. We used to be able to watch players like Glen Robinson play at Purdue and Tim Duncan at Wake for 4 years. They would be one and done now at Duke or Kentucky.

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

So you think it's gotten worse because you don't get to

Jan 22, 2018, 9:05 AM

watch the same players play in college for several years, got it.

I respectfully disagree. College basketball has always been great and it still is today. There are always big games to watch. Just last week the WVU/Kansas game was incredible to watch. There are only a couple teams that make a point to recruit the 1 and dones heavily and it doesn't really disrupt the rest of college basketball IMO. There are still plenty of great players who stay 3 or 4 years. You can still watch the Glen Robinson and Tim Duncan type players.

But if a kid is good enough to leave and play in the NBA, then he shouldn't be staying in college.

ANyone who knows the game knows it got worse.

Jan 22, 2018, 9:52 AM

Yeah the quality went down. You're clueless. Got it. College basketball is good today, but it is definitely worse. Imagine Lebron, Durant, Kobe, etc etc in their 4 the year in college. You must have been too young to witness the great or recall what it was like. Moreover, the rivalries were way more intense, because the same studs played each other a few times at the least. College basketball is worse now and you won't fin any sports writer or tv commentator who doesn't agree with that fact. It is common knowledge. College basketball is still good, but it doesn't scratch the surface of what it was. You're either really young or extremely clueless.

So much for respectfully disagreeing I guess...

Jan 22, 2018, 11:30 AM

Lebron, KD and Kobe all proved early in their careers that they didn't belong in college. Would it have been fun to watch them in college? Absolutely, although Lebron at Ohio State with that team would've walked away with multiple national championships and I wouldn't have wanted to see that.

Some players need more college development, some don't. Steph Curry is a good example of someone who needed the college game and played 3 years at Davidson. Why should players play in college if they're physically ready for the NBA?

"It is common knowledge" no it's not, it's an opinion and why should I give a flying #### about opinions of writers or sports commentators? The one and done players are not ruining the game, but the rule requiring a year of basketball before going to the NBA is ridiculous. Nobody should be forced to go to college. Although I guess if you look at the Ball family as an example, they're not going the college route.

It would be interesting to see how many 1 and done players have been on national championship winning teams in the last 10 years. Kentucky's championship will skew the numbers higher, but I'd at least venture to say the other 9 didn't have that many...I could be wrong though.

Re: ANyone who knows the game knows it got worse.

Jan 22, 2018, 11:14 PM [ in reply to ANyone who knows the game knows it got worse. ]

Carlsbad is right about one thing .....Rivalries were way more intense .

there was a time when I could name the starting lineups

Jan 22, 2018, 8:42 AM [ in reply to It was equal to football them. One and dones has killed it ]

for every ACC basketball team (or at least 4 of the 5), even teams like Wake or Virginia. We played them twice all a season, and played any specific "star" player 6-8 times in his career. You really got to know every player pretty well. Even scrubs like Chuck Nevitt and Rickey Stokes were household names (anybody?).

I can't name one player on the Duke or Virginia team right now, and they are top 5 teams. I honestly don't keep up with it like I used to because 1) there are 1000 games on TV now when there used to be only a few dozen - ACC games were "do not miss" TV; and 2) there are 1000 other things to do or watch besides basketball now. Also, the season is 2/3 over and we haven't played either one yet, and that matters too.

If you can't name one player from Duke or UVA then that's

Jan 22, 2018, 8:51 AM

a "you" problem, not an ACC problem. Grayson Allen is a senior at Duke and has been in the spotlight for years while making headlines for good and bad on-the-court actions. I'd think even a casual basketball observer could name him. I think the reason every ACC game isn't can't miss TV anymore is due to expansion, but not the one and dones.

yeah, I coulda named him, but didn't know he was still there

Jan 22, 2018, 9:19 AM

haven't watched Duke play this season, or if I did, it was just in momentarily flipping by a game. I can't stand watching Duke's style of play with all the flopping and such. Is he still tripping people this season or has he been "good"?

Re: I used to love, I mean love!, ACC basketball

Jan 22, 2018, 8:40 AM

I think the should be able to go to the NBA or have to stay 3 years. That said a few teams have won it all in large part because of one and done players.

It's a combination of things. Used to only be 7 or 8 schools

Jan 22, 2018, 10:17 AM

in the conference, so the team you pulled for played many less conference teams, and played each twice. Also only played games on Saturday and Wednesday, so you knew when they would be on TV. And yes, the players stayed and you knew who was on each conference team. You also mostly got ACC games in my area, not games nation-wide. So the combination of more teams, players staying less time, more dates, games from other areas, and playing some only once has certainly made watching ACC basketball less of something to look forward to.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a combination of things. Used to only be 7 or 8 schools

Jan 22, 2018, 10:03 PM

I could at least keep up with the names of all the head coaches and gyms "back in the day." But, not only has the number of ACC schools doubled since the 80's but so has my number of co-workers. Also I'm now keeping up with the names of church kids and swim team kids and field trip groups and teachers, and I have a number of passwords that have to keep changing. I don't know that the ACC is any less interesting, but I clearly need to upgrade my memory!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 4,110
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic