Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I rewatched the FSU/Syracuse game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I rewatched the FSU/Syracuse game

Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 PM

I think we may be in for a game, fellas.

Their defense appears improved.

However, so are we. I say 37-20 tigers with a late defensive stop and TD to make it seem less of a game than it really was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I rewatched the FSU/Syracuse game

Sep 24, 2018, 11:36 PM

Yeah, last year they the had 2 All-ACC wide receivers (1 1st team and 1 2nd team) and they dinked and dabbed us to death on short routes. Those guys are gone thankfully, but Dungey is back, and he could be a handful depending on how good his Oline is. Very mobile and tough. Glad we are in the Valley this week.

Sep 25, 2018, 6:31 AM

Yeah but they’ve got 2 huge receivers to replace them, 6’5 and a 6’3.

I remember Dabo praising the Syr WRs last year

Sep 25, 2018, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: I rewatched the FSU/Syracuse game ]

Those guys are gone. Haven’t heard anything from Coach about the replacements.

Sep 24, 2018, 11:48 PM

The game will not be close. Clemson by 28.

Sep 25, 2018, 9:43 AM

Most likely. Although last year you predicted Clemson by 35. Hmm...

Sep 25, 2018, 12:43 AM

Syracuse ranks 78th out of 129 teams through 4 games, allowing 386.0 yards per game.

By way of comparison, Clemson is fourth overall out of 129 teams - allowing 251.8 yards per game.

Clemson has played at A&M and at Georgia Tech.

Syracuse's games, thus far, have been Western Michigan, Wagner, FSU, and UConn. (Wagner is a FCS school in Staten Island, New York...I had to look it up.)

They are averaging a boatload of points - 55, 62, 30 (against FSU), and 51.

The obvious problem - that defense. They've given up mad points and mad yards...well, against everybody except Florida State, who seems to be at a level of ineptitude unto themselves, right now. The Orange gave up 42 to Western Michigan, for instance. They score even more mad points too, though. Dino's got that Baylor spread humming.

They certainly aren't invincible...but we can't show up half-asleep and win, either. Last year showed that...and they are better, this year. I think they're an 8-9 win team, this year.

Sep 25, 2018, 12:47 AM

so this game is good for our SOS, lutz

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 12:46 AM

I watched the first half of that game, and FSU is undisciplined. Numerous times the FSU players would make some stupid penalty to keep the SU drives going and SU still only scored two FG's in the half. FSU had terrible clock management to end the half failing to even score a FG, and that's all I could stand to watch. Taggart has ruined this program in just a few months. Watching his players indicates nobody has coached them.

Dungey is good if he has time (which he won't have), and Costa is a 6'5" receiver that is very good. They don't really have any other great threats.

My ONLY concern is our OLine, as it has to protect our QB. I expect CLEMSON to be able to run at will on them, and TL can pass against their secondary just fine. I think the SU DLine is going to be gassed by the end of the 3rd.

Nah - I don't see SU staying in the game more than 2 quarters. We pull away towards the half, and curb-stomp them in the 3rd. We play 2's and 3's and even 4's in the 4th. Sorry Cuse, but you're gonna have to crawl back home after this beating. :)

Sep 25, 2018, 12:57 AM

Last year they stacked the line to force us to throw. This year, they won’t have that luxury. KB being hurt and the coaches not sitting him had a lot to do with it too. Only thing that worries me, is last year our defense looked confused. DB had a great game plan. I doubt that happens two years in a row.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 1:43 AM

That same FSU offense also couldn't score on the VA Tech defense that gave up 49 to Old Dominion. Also that Orange defense Gave up 41 in their season opener to Western Michigan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 4:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 6:52 AM

FSU's o-line makes everybody's defense look "improved!"

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Sep 25, 2018, 7:09 AM

Correct! This is the heart of the matter. The FSU D held out pretty good until they got completely gassed by midway through the 3rd qtr.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 AM

Unfortunately FSU is no longer a measuring stick for how good a team is.

Not saying we won't be in for a game, but their Defense....

Sep 25, 2018, 8:24 AM

isn't that good.

Wagner doesn't count b/c they're FCS
Western Michigan put 42 on them
FSU can't score on air
UConn had their highest scoring output on the season vs an FBS opponent in 21 vs cuse

Cuse's offense is a concern to me b/c their style has the ability to negate our pass rush

But honestly, it's at home...........we SHOULD beat them by 21+

Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 AM

"Cuse is much improved... I think. They are a lot better against a mobile, run-first QB. I think the QB choice is as much about Tl's GT performance as it is about a matchup with 'Cuse. Then again, FSU make Sanford look like a contender. Tallahassee is likely thankful they don't have to play ODU this year.

But I think our guys have been looking forward to the Cuse. I think that maybe Cuse will move the ball but I also think that this could be a 11 sack game too. Why, they allowed 7 sacks against rather poor defensive teams. First down offense is good too, but 3rd is meh. Either they roll with good 1-2 down pickups or the struggle with 3rd downs offensively.

Funny thing, TA&M is ranked 77th and Cuse is ranked 78th for total defense. Considering the quality of opposition we can take away that the Cuse might struggle against us with TL. TL will light up the (ex)Cuse because they can't stop the pass (and GT had *good* defensive compared to Cuse) and the cuse only held FSU back in that case (and yeah, we know)... combined with "average" run defense TL will stretch them out and then we will run through them. That being said, the Cuse can put pressure on a QB. If TL stays cool, this shouldn't be an issue.

Should be interesting and this is why you always prepare for a fight.

Sep 25, 2018, 10:29 AM

Great post. I expect a long day for the Orange, but we may be able to put up some points.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic