Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I must be in the dark here regarding athlete pay
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,606

I must be in the dark here regarding athlete pay

Nov 13, 2014, 8:58 AM

Why can't these student athletes take out a student loan like the rest of the students who have minimal financial backing to cover their "fun money"? I mean, let them do a FAFSA, apply applicable need based grants, award scholly, then simply give them the difference. Maybe not all at once but that can be worked out. If they need more, then use financial aid like the rest of us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I must be in the dark here regarding athlete pay

Nov 13, 2014, 9:03 AM

I agree!

Nov 13, 2014, 9:07 AM

They have a full ride scholarship. It isn't about needing more it is about wanting more. If the NFL would simply create a minor league option for these players then the NCAA could simply say no to any questions about paying athletes. Until then the NCAA is the only real route to the pros and courts will continue to rule in players favor.

null

I think your post is Bull... .

Nov 13, 2014, 9:24 AM

"Not a matter of need but want". Most football players don't have time to get a job for spending money. Many come from lower income families. Some are the first member of their family to go to college.

Students without jobs or "daddy's money" in college are broke as a joke.

Having pocket money in college is a need not a want.

Your post is crap.

Re: I think your post is Bull... .

Nov 13, 2014, 9:31 AM

Came from a single parent household. Paid for my bills throughout college including tuition. I went to school and had a job. I never had any free time. If those guys want to go that route then more power to them. I would have gladly traded practice for work.

Having pocket money is not a need in college. I can tell you I lived off of nothing. Literally nothing. We searched the couches for spare change often.

It was college. We were all broke (at least the guys in my dorm room). I think there is this notion that every college kid comes from a family where the father is the CEO of a company and the mother is a doctor.

LOTS OF US WERE BROKE IN COLLEGE.

On top of your point

Nov 13, 2014, 9:44 AM

The argument that the school is making boat loads of money off these kids is BS. The school is making boat loads of money off EVERY student!

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Re: On top of your point

Nov 13, 2014, 9:48 AM

1. Every student is making money for Clemson
2. Every employee is making money for his employer

This is how the system works. Not just for athletes.

they get pocket money, they get cash

Nov 13, 2014, 10:56 AM [ in reply to I think your post is Bull... . ]

They can take out grants and loans for more pocket money. Educate yourself.

This isn't about need, it's about wants based off tv contacts.

Your post defends the argument to nuot pay, especially the part about the opportunities these kids are getting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nov 13, 2014, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Re: I must be in the dark here regarding athlete pay ]

You want to know why the NFL doesn't want any part in a minor league? Try putting a 175 pound dude straight out of highschool up against a 4 year veteran. You are talking lawsuit city. The system they have in place right now is perfect for them and the universities. Also, the reason that NCAA football is so successful goes back towards the pride one has in their school. In minor league systems there is no pride. They beg and plead for fans to come out with wacky promotions. Minor leagues are a tough road to head down. I have a few friends who were in the minor league baseball system who actually lived with host families. Can you imagine the OUTRAGE that we would have if some of these whining ### college players had to live with a host family. On another note who in the world would take some of them in? Think about Jameis Winston in a minor league system getting paid peanuts, living with a host family...........YIKES

There will be no minor league NFL system because they know it will not work. The system we have in place works. I am sorry that college players do not like the current level of pampered they are getting. Walk a day in the shoes of a regular student who is paying his way through school by waiting EFFING TABLES

"We need to pay players" is a solution to a problem that

Nov 13, 2014, 9:08 AM

doesn't exist.

null

You're not as talented as Sammy Watkins and CJ Spiller.

Nov 13, 2014, 9:13 AM

You don't have any skills that people are interested in observing. They aren't willing to pay large sums of money to watch you post on Tigernet or go out binge drinking on a Saturday night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're not as talented as Sammy Watkins and CJ Spiller.

Nov 13, 2014, 9:43 AM

Thats funny because 95 percent of every D1 football team is probably comprised of guys who "people aren't willing to pay large sums of money to watch" You see the one Johnny Manziel or Sammy Watkins and think the system is screwed and completely forget about the vast majority of college athletics. You don't change a system for one player. That is beyond idiotic.

Nuk Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, Martavous Bryant, Vic Beasley

Nov 13, 2014, 10:36 AM

One player? What is patently false and ridiculous statement to base an argument upon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a former student-athlete.....

Nov 13, 2014, 9:34 AM

I am generally opposed to paying players primarily because of the feeding frenzy that I think it will create.

As it is, there are a number of avenues available to students and student-athletes alike who are in need of additional funds.

I’m a big proponent of amateurism, and I firmly believe that there is not one student who, in my opinion, would not trade places with a full-scholarship student-athlete who leaves college with zero debt.

That said, I also think the outcome has already been decided and it’s just a matter of how we are going to get there. Players are going to be paid and the issue now is whether it happens in 5, 10, or 15 years but it's likely going to happen at some point.

Another concern I have is the potential resultant elimination of many non-revenue sports at schools that cannot afford to pay all of its student-athletes because if you pay the football and basketball players, there is no way you can exclude those student-athletes who particpate in non-revenue sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: As a former student-athlete.....

Nov 13, 2014, 9:45 AM

BigCUFan,

If we are required to pay all non revenue sports will be eliminated and Title 9 will crumble. It will be football, basketball, and possibly baseball that will survive.

I don't know if Title IX would crumble or....

Nov 13, 2014, 9:50 AM

if schools would just eliminate a bunch of the men's non-revenue sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I don't know if Title IX would crumble or....

Nov 13, 2014, 10:00 AM

If it gets to the point we are paying athletes then all bets are off. No sports will exist that cannot fund themselves. That includes every single women's sport. Title 9 would crumble. Lawyers would fight that to the death and they would have every right to. You can't tell a school they have to offer something at that point. Once money starts exchanging hands Title 9 does not exist. Schools

Re: As a former student-athlete.....

Nov 13, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to As a former student-athlete..... ]

Once pay gets started:

The BIGS that can afford to pay will pay ... and the high school players will all know who those BIGS are and will generally go to those schools. This will - in short order I perceive - make the competition extremely lopsided and cause the money imbalance to get more and more extreme ... the BIGS get more money and the rest get progressively less.

In response to this imbalance the LITTLES will begin severing contest contracts with the BIGS and the BIGS will compete only among themselves and a sort of professional league will develop. When that happens I suspect the BIGS golden goose will die. Why? Because Americans, when faced with two professional leagues will opt for the NFL while those Americans that support amateur college athletics will have long ago left for the REAL amateurs ... thus the BIGS will be in a downward spiraling economic situation that has no real upside.

The way to avoid this is for there to be lots of BIGS. I don't see that happening. Of those somewhat near Clemson I could easily see Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Virginia, Vanderbilt, dropping quickly and the other 4 No Car schools following. Pittsburgh, Syracuse and BC would - I presume also go minor fairly soon. Clemson would hang in for a few years and also go minor in time, I suspect.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2014, 9:49 AM

especially with the awesome interest rates kids get now. This would be a huge motivator to play yourself into the NFL, cause otherwise you will be in debt the rest of your life.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,606
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic