Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know we lost our 4 DL and I think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

I know we lost our 4 DL and I think

Aug 6, 2019, 7:29 AM

We might have a harder time stopping the run since we are so much lighter up front now.

But goodness, it seems like EVERY other position is light years ahead of where it was last year. They are bigger faster stronger smarter at all the other positions. Even the freshman are seemingly ready this year.

I am SO stinking excited and ready to watch this group play ball.

The dog mentality those 4 DL left behind has resonated throughout the team. Our dominant victory over Bama has given this group supreme confidence.

Sky’s the limit truly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only spot that is really lighter up front is Dex’s old spot

Aug 6, 2019, 7:35 AM

And that has more to do with Dex being a genetic freak (mean that in the nicest way possible) and not with the current DT’s. The days of the 330+ enormous DT are largely gone, DT’s in the 290-310 range are pretty much the standard at this point in the sport as a whole. Interior pass rush is much more valuable than the pure run stuffing abilities of the big traditional nose tackle.

Plus, with the way our offense is likely going to score, opponents are going to have to pass more to keep up playing into the hands of a smaller interior.

I get the concern and it has some merit as I also don’t think we’ll be quite as stout against the run as last year, but you nailed being more experienced and athletic at almost every other position.

Re: The only spot that is really lighter up front is Dex’s old spot

Aug 6, 2019, 9:47 AM

Actually it will probably make other teams try to shorten the game by running the ball more, throw short quick passes and cut possessions. I doubt many want to try and get in a track meet with a team that is 3 deep at most positions - it won’t pay off in the fourth quarter for them. I think that’s why Venables emphasizes pressure and TFLs to put them behind the chains and try to take away the run game. Except in the Natty where the umbrella D worked great!

Re: The only spot that is really lighter up front is Dex’s old spot

Aug 6, 2019, 12:18 PM

Which is something I like about our Coordinators on both sides... playing 'possession' ball is just the faster way to lose to us. Look at the Duke, GT or Pitt game. They held on to the ball about 2:1. BC kinda tried that but their loss of a QB culled that. If you want irony, even Louisville controlled possession of that game.

BV will take the "short" game approach any day of the week, but especially on Saturdays. You don't win if you can't punch it in, right Bammy? By playing short-quick passes, you are still keeping the ball in front of our defenders and as field position may chance, it gets harder to get behind us. BV will always want to keep the QBs eyes down on the short opportunities than looking for those broken coverage issues. They TFL keep those eyes down a bit and simplify what the D needs to do. I think the penetration assist with run D as now that almost all QBs are a running threat, you treat the backfield as a running option. But then again BV is fairly adaptable so he will win with whatever works.

TE & JS don't need time (or a lot of it) to score. It is all about those big plays that score quickly X% of the time. They aim for those 3-6 (or more) times a game. At times, it seems like 1st downs are only gained in order to get more big shots as we are not an incremental offense. I kinda use the ND is a good example. It is amazing how many times those "only a few plays" make our 27+ point wins.

Re: I know we lost our 4 DL and I think

Aug 6, 2019, 7:38 AM

Not to worry D-Tiger , because by mid second quarter teams will be so far behind on the scoreboard they'll have abandoned the run game anyway .

Dabo has a plan .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I think our team is in a way opposite of last year. Last year

Aug 6, 2019, 7:44 AM

Our defense was beast enough to keep us in any game while our offense kind of meshed, improve, became better. Now I think we have sort of the reverse. Not that I think our d will be that bad. But I think our offense will be so good that our d will have time to mesh/learn/grow. Just hope we don’t get complacent when we are up by 30. Because late in the season we may have some close games where our d will need to gut it out have some 3 and outs, goalline stops etc. I like the situation we are in . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, I agree that the O will score to take pressure off a

Aug 6, 2019, 8:32 AM

young D line, but this O will probably score pretty quick. This means that the D line is back on the field quick as well. This could be good with gaining experience fast, but could also wear them out as well. Ball control on the offense once a lead is established could be key......kind of like that 10 min drive in the Natty. Trust in Dabo and company!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Good points about the pace. Maybe that will allow for

Aug 6, 2019, 11:36 AM

A lot of the backups to get meaningful reps

Aug 6, 2019, 7:55 AM

Fear not. People forget we have been here before. 2014 we finished #1 overall on defense, then proceeded to lose something like 8 starters from that group including Vic, Grady, MacKenzie, Stephone, and Jayron Kearse. Still had a top 10 defense the following year with newcomers like shaq lawson, Austin bryant, Ben boulware... you get the idea. We may not be as dominant but will still be very good

Aug 6, 2019, 8:02 AM

My mistake. Mac and Jayron weren't that year, but Josh Watson and Corey Crawford were meaning we lost our entire starting D line

Yeah that's the thing. We might have merely a top 10 defense

Aug 6, 2019, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: I know we lost our 4 DL and I think ]

instead of the #1 or #2 defense like last year. It's not like our defense is going to fall into the 30s. And it would be pretty shocking if our offense didn't improve this year with all of the talent and experience we have coming back.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I know we lost our 4 DL and I think ]

After losing so many didn't we come one onside kick or Kick return away from beating Bama that year? Our offense was pretty good in 2015 but not near as good as this offense is going to be. We have finally developed an elite O-line to go with our elite skill positions. The only position on offense we are not as good about is TE and 2015 we had Jorden Leggett that admitted he was lazy and the fans went crazy because he would take plays off. Week 2 going to show everyone that Clemson is indeed the reigning champs and the team to beat (HAHA) to take it away.

Go Tigers.

I think I'm honestly more concerned about LB -

Aug 6, 2019, 7:59 AM

aside from Simmons of course. I'm sure we will be fine there too though.

The secondary will be a big help to the front seven

Aug 6, 2019, 9:18 AM

This could be the best secondary we've had in a while, especially if Jones and Booth pan, which is looks like they are. I'm still impressed with Jones breaking up a go route for Higgins in the spring game.

I can see us getting more coverage sacks. Give XT half a second more on his rushes and he doubles his sack number. This defense will be different, but still scary good. Don't forget how dominant our two's were last year later in games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The secondary will be a big help to the front seven

Aug 6, 2019, 11:15 AM

He's going to more than double his sack total by virtue he's going to be in the game much more that last year. Give another half second could end up putting him closer to 15 to 20 sacks this year. At his size and speed 2021 NFL draft is going to be hard for anyont to decide who to pick first and second in the draft. Question i have has a team ever put out the top 2 draft pick in the NFL? 2021 may be the first.

Go Tigers

Aug 6, 2019, 9:29 AM

Tyler Davis is a wardaddy. Fear not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

FIVE D-linemen. Do not forget the Huggy Bear. Without

Aug 6, 2019, 10:03 AM

him capably replacing Big Dex the last two games, who knows what could have been the outcome? Maybe we only beat Bama by 3 touchdowns, and Notre Dammed could actually have scored a touchdown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FIVE D-linemen. Do not forget the Huggy Bear. Without

Aug 6, 2019, 11:18 AM

I think Nyles Pinckney was way under valued last year. He was a big contributor as well and would have done fine had we not had Huggy Bear. During the fake FG that Bama tried he blew past a double team to make the tackle behind the LOS. He's be just fine on the line this year and with the talent behind him and the amount of time they get in games our defense will be tough to beat come November.

Re: FIVE D-linemen. Do not forget the Huggy Bear. Without

Aug 6, 2019, 12:35 PM

I agree. I think we may actually be faster as a D-Line this year, which should be real scary for opposing offensive coordinators to think about!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if there is a dropoff on the D Line,

Aug 6, 2019, 10:17 AM

who can outscore us?

Aug 6, 2019, 11:32 AM

I think we'll be mostly fine overall. I think where we may see a difference is on 3rd/4th and short. The last few years I actually felt very confidence in our defense getting a stop on 3rd or 4th and inches, and we saw a lot of teams punt in those situations out of respect for our DL. It'll be interesting to see how our line holds up in those situations.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:51 AM

As much as it pains me to say, I think SC showed the best way to combat our defense IS to go high tempo. Our BV God bless him just takes too long to get calls and personnel on the field. They had us caught with our pants down multiple times last season. One time they had a wide open WR on the far side and our DB running thru their back field trying to get on the field....thankfully we called time out before SC could snap the ball.

The position concerns me is RB. Can they protect the QB in pass block mode? I worry.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic