Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know that last night (actually the entire season) was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

I know that last night (actually the entire season) was

Mar 15, 2013, 9:02 AM

frustrating, but am I the only person that sees major potential in our next BB season?

I see: Roper taking the point, with Hall being a quality back up.

I see: Coleman returning strong at the other G, with depth with Filer and Harrison.

I see: KJ playing out of his mind!

I hope to see: Blossinggame be as good as advertised, with depth with Sullivan.

I hope to see Nnoko develop quickly. He showed potential, but he will be the key to improvement for the inside game.

Hopefully the incoming Fr. can add depth as shooters.

Of course the main concern is lack of depth with "The Bigs". Followed by improvement from the FT line.

I really think we'll see improvement in shooting / scoring. If we do, I see a 20 win season and a post season birth. And with no SRs on next years team, we should make a run the following season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see a team with no inside game next year along with the

Mar 15, 2013, 9:09 AM

usual lack of shooters - in short, a worse season than this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep***

Mar 15, 2013, 9:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see a team with no inside game next year along with the

Mar 15, 2013, 9:13 AM [ in reply to I see a team with no inside game next year along with the ]

I don't think so. You have to account for Fr and So improvement. We competed hard all season with 2 SRs, and 0 JRs. If they work during the offseason, they will improve.

Turn 1/2 of the close losses into wins, and we're in a tournement. Maybe "The Tournement"!

Agreed except for one thing

Mar 15, 2013, 9:22 AM

Unless a change is announced Harrison will be on his mission trip next year.

I do think many are forgetting about Blossomgame, who likely would have been the main back up to Booker this year. I expect a lot of growth at the offensive side of the court. If that happens I see more of the close games going our way. Won't say we're going to the big dance but improved season? Yes

Go Tigers!

Re: Agreed except for one thing

Mar 15, 2013, 9:32 AM

Blossomgame isn't that big, if anything he would've backed up Milton, not Booker

I forgot about Harrison's mission trip. But his PT would

Mar 15, 2013, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Agreed except for one thing ]

have probably been cut some with the Freshmen Gs. Also, I think that Filer can do a nice job off the bench.

Harrison is a streaky shooter, and shoots too much, and

Mar 15, 2013, 9:56 AM

stinks on D to put it mildly. His presence will not be missed that much.

my thoughts to your points...

Mar 15, 2013, 9:26 AM

1. Roper isn't a point guard...he's more a shooting guard and really needs a good point to play alongside.

2. Hall is not point guard because he provides no threat of scoring. Last night was a prime example. We ran high post pick and roll with Devin setting the pick and rolling down the lane. The defender would cheat under Devin's pick everytime because there was no threat of Hall making the outside shot. So Hall's limited ability kills the effectiveness of the play. I don't think Hall finishes his career at Clemson. He was a body to fill a need and will probably transfer out.

3. I've been watching us miss FT's for 40 yrs...we just don't recruit good shooters.

4. Big men don't develop quickly...even our best big men took 3 yrs to develop.

5. KJ is an incredible athlete who needs better players around him...with that he could be something special.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the rolls have changed but I thought a PG's primary

Mar 15, 2013, 9:34 AM

roll was to create scoring opportunities for the rest of the players on the court.

Drive and dish, high assist guy, the occasional 3 or jumper and some layups but not a primary scorer.

I do realize there are a lot of scoring PG's out there but i thought the roll was as I described above. Along with that I would like to see better PG play. I don't really understand it either. He seems to knock down that 18 foot jumper with some consistancy, but is very reluctant to take it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

those are important but if you noticed last night

Mar 15, 2013, 9:38 AM

FSU's defender wasn't even really guarding him at times because he knew there was no threat of Hall scoring. He was able to fall back off of Hall and help on another player.

He's an ok shooter....he hit 43% of his shots this year...only 22% from the 3pt line. His lack of offense just allows the defense to cheat without any fear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is why I think that Roper could replace him. When he

Mar 15, 2013, 9:43 AM

is in control, he seems to be effective in all those areas. Plus he doesn't have a problem with hesitating to shoot. :)

no he doesn't...the thing that Roper doesn't have that you

Mar 15, 2013, 9:46 AM

want in your point guard is a bit more size to handle the move to the basket and finish. His body type is more of a spot up shooter.

Totally agree with you 72

Mar 15, 2013, 9:50 AM [ in reply to those are important but if you noticed last night ]

If he had taken a couple of those and made them, the defensive strategy for FSU completely changes.

I'd like a PG that does what hall does defensively and ball handling wise because I think he does that well, but I'd like a bigger scoring threat like you do also.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

pick and roll play they ran over and over

Mar 15, 2013, 9:55 AM

they ran this play many times last night...Hall has the ball at the top of the key dribbling right...either Devin or Milton set a pick at the top of the key....the defender (the O) consistent went under the pick...ideally that either gives you an open jump shot or a drive to the basket. He didn't take advantage of either.

The ideal outcome is a few things...

1. pass to an open big man rolling to the basket
2. open jump shot for the PG
3. The threat of the jump shot causes the man in the corner to overreact to the threat which leaves Roper open in the corner for a jump shot
4. The dribble drive leaves the corner open for a jump shot
5. or Devin/Milton pop...meaning they don't drive but pop back out for a jumper.

Hall's lack of offensive ability doesn't force the defense to react and rotate. They can stay home and it doesn't give Roper the open shots he needs.

There was once last night late in the game where Hall got

Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 AM

to stand at the corner 3pt line spot all by his lonesome, with the ball, his defender nearly standing in the paint, nowhere near him, being treated like a 7 ft center, and Hall passed it off because he knew it wouldn't be good for him to try that shot. That is not good.

that was Snaer from FSU....he was able to drop back

Mar 15, 2013, 10:15 AM

into the lane and just play almost like a CF position. Hall's lack of ability simply grinds the offense to a stop at times.

Re:Hall is no threat at all. They pretty much ignore him.***

Mar 15, 2013, 9:46 AM [ in reply to my thoughts to your points... ]

I completely agree with you about Hall and Roper***

Mar 15, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to my thoughts to your points... ]

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Roper is a good shooting guard who just needs a PG to play

Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 AM

alongside...he can be a very good shooter.

I wish I could see that potential...

Mar 15, 2013, 9:35 AM

but Im struggling to.

We will have no big men worth a crap and limited shooting. Awful foul shooting and a group of guys that aren't used to winning.

We have our work cut out for us and it could all come together for a positive year in 2013-2014, but I just don't see it as of right now.

Re:You need to lay off that stuff. It can ruin you.***

Mar 15, 2013, 9:45 AM

Brownell WILL have his most talented team in 2013/014

Mar 15, 2013, 9:49 AM

So....for me, its do or die.

Question is...
are you people really, come on..I mean really surprised that Brownell is struggling at this point? When Purnell left, all this was, was a patch job by the university.

Re:No, I am no surprised but talent? Where?***

Mar 15, 2013, 9:53 AM

I like the optimism and support that folks are showing

Mar 15, 2013, 10:11 AM

Having said that, what I see is that in the ACC, and really against pretty much all teams that are quality tourney teams, Clemson will be at a height disadvantage at almost every position on the floor. I also see that at this point our hopes rest on two guys that were out all this year with injury, who are also still relatively undeveloped, and KJ (will be the man on this team next year if he can avoid fould trouble).
Roper is up and down right now and will struggle at times because of the aforementioned height disadvantage, not his fault it just is what it is. Harrison won't backing anyone on our team up from Borneo, or Malawi or wherever he goes on mission. Filer is basically in the same boat as Roper. Nnoko could be better but again will still be at a height disadvantage against bigger front court players.

Re: I like the optimism and support that folks are showing

Mar 15, 2013, 10:23 AM

I agree that it will be tough, especially with expansion (Pitt, Cuse, ND, and The Cards), but I think that the "Youth" will grow up, and be much more productive. I'm hoping to turn 1/2 of the close losses into wins, and we're almost there.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic