Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know a lot of you don’t care much about Clemson Olympic sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,952

I know a lot of you don’t care much about Clemson Olympic sports

Jul 11, 2020, 6:19 PM

Like I do (as well as a handful of others on here) but honestly this is my #1 worry with the whole current situation.

Football will be fine. Yes it would really suck to miss a season but ultimately Clemson football will be the behemoth business it always is.

Olympic sports are a sign of a healthy campus and student body. The student athletes who participate come from all over and fall in love with Clemson and become great ambassadors for the school.
Ive really enjoyed the Olympic sports more than ever the last few years and I really worry that a big loss in revenue with be detrimental to many of our Olympic teams.

Not to mention the amount of jobs the many sports provide with coaches, trainers, sports marketing staff (something i did as an undergrad) sports information and more.

For me this is the big underlying worry I have with all of this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know a lot of you don’t care much about Clemson Olympic sports

Jul 11, 2020, 6:23 PM

I'm with you ..... love all the Olympic sports!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make several good points!***

Jul 11, 2020, 6:23 PM

As former "Non-Revenue" Director for Central Spirit...

Jul 11, 2020, 6:44 PM

I'm right there with you. Some of the most passionate fans in Clemson don't just support the football and men's basketball teams. The most passionate fans of Clemson (not just Clemson football) are there to support Women's Volleyball, M/W Tennis, M/W Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Women's Basketball, M/W Track and CC, Rowing, and M/W Golf. There are great student athletes in those areas that LOVE Clemson and everything Clemson stands for. They are great ambassadors both in the pro versions of some of those sports plus in business and life.

I'm particularly concerned about Women's Softball. We were off to an AWESOME start and it's a sport that I believe we could compete for a National Championship in eventually. I truly hope that COVID doesn't somehow derail the progress in the sport that took us way too long to get in the first place.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Jul 11, 2020, 6:54 PM

Because the softball team was rolling, particularly well for an inaugural season. I think they will be fine but I know it was a heartbreaker for those young ladies. Go Tigers!

softball really did have their momentum killed

Jul 12, 2020, 3:01 PM [ in reply to As former "Non-Revenue" Director for Central Spirit... ]

Which really sucked for them

I didn’t know Clemson was a country

Jul 11, 2020, 7:30 PM

Other than God’s country

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn’t know Clemson was a country

Jul 11, 2020, 8:43 PM

I can attribute my dad to forming my opinion that "Track and Field" is the very definition of athletics. In high school he was captain of his football team, player-manager of his baseball team, and captain of his basketball team who went to the National Championships in Chicago - all with only 15 boys in his class. They were all Irish boys attending St. Patrick's School in Binghamton, NY. He ran cross country while in college at Miami University (i.e.: Ohio.) He would take me to the Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden.... Not to carry on, but when I had applied to the College of Architecture at UVA, Colorado and Clemson, he suggested I might not like UVA because it was little too "hoity-toity"/"Southern blue-blood", Colorado was too far away, but Clemson was a great choice. He always prided himself on knowing the name and location of every college and university in the country, and most of the history of each - as far as athletics were concerned!

Go Tigers!!!

Jul 11, 2020, 8:14 PM

Hopefully women programs get cut

Jul 12, 2020, 8:27 AM

Great post TIP.
It would be terrible to lose any of these olympic sports. It's not all about football. But unfortunately, the olympic sports would not exist at most big colleges without football.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jul 12, 2020, 4:34 PM

I thought Clemson was bringing wrestling back?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no chance

Jul 12, 2020, 9:40 PM

Wrestling is a huge scholarship eater and Is being dropped all over the country. Plus the south isnt the region for it.

Re: no chance

Jul 12, 2020, 10:21 PM

T_I_P said:

Wrestling is a huge scholarship eater and Is being dropped all over the country. Plus the south isnt the region for it.

Yeah those 9.9 scholarships spread out in partial scholarships over the whole wrestling team is a huge drain.

Are you also worried about the cost of the wrestling stadium so that they could have matches?

geez.

Same amount as men’s soccer

Jul 12, 2020, 10:31 PM

More than double the amount of golf and tennis.
9.9 isn’t nothing.

It’s a sport that’s being dropped all over the country. I don’t mind college wrestling, I covered it at NDSU. It just doesn’t make sense for Clemson.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,952
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic