»
Topic: I know a lot about football but am not an expert, although
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 23, 2017 6:49 PM by: tigerforlife28
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 1   Pages: 1  

I know a lot about football but am not an expert, although

Posted: Nov 23, 2017 6:39 PM

I think I am. My question is the difference between the corner back and safety positions. What I have picked up in the last several years is it appears it takes more talent to play corner than safety. Further, it appears height is more important for a safety and speed is more important for a corner. For those that know, please expound. Thanks.

Re: I know a lot about football but am not an expert, although

[1]
Posted: Nov 23, 2017 6:49 PM

Corners are preferred to be fast since they're covering receivers almost 99% of the time. Although they don't have to be big, size wouldn't hurt. If they're a 6-2 205llb corner that can run a 4.4-4.5 then that's a great corner in physic.

Safeties are usually bigger because they're brought into run support many times by most defenses but they can't be too big because they still have to cover. They're the mix of a linebacker and corner.

I wouldn't be sure which takes more talent, I would assume it takes equal talent but the more technique position, especially in these PI happy rules days, the corner position requires more discipline.

So, in summary, safeties need to be bigger for run support, yet need to small enough to cover. Corners, for coverage and speed, need to be smaller.

Note: I'm just hitting the basics, I know corners are used for run support also.

Replies: 1   Pages: 1  
Clemson Gear
Clemson Bowl game tickets and travel
[ Tiger Boards - Clemson Football ]
Start New Topic
644 people have read this post