Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,519

I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball......

Dec 5, 2018, 3:37 PM

.....so I wanted to ask those who have is this team not as good as we thought they would be? I say that because of the scores against some bad lower level teams. Is this basketball team something of a concern or is it me taking the scores and turning it into something it isn't?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball......

Dec 5, 2018, 3:46 PM

Not as good so far and Reed got hurt last night. Hopefully not serious but we dont know how his knee is yet. We dont defend the three very well or rebound real well. FT shooting isnt as good. The youg guys are decent players but we havent gelled yet and no one is stepping up to fill in for Devo's scoring. In fact Sims is becoming less of a factor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 3:50 PM

Thank you sir, very much appreciated.

good post 74---I think you covered most of the

Dec 5, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball...... ]

problem areas....can't over-emphasize how much a 3-point assassin (we are Devo) is missed.

Have been occasionally disappointed in lack of rebounding fundamentals and missing "crucial" free throws at important moments when making them would probably have put the outcome on ice.

Provided there are no major injuries to key personnel, I'm still holding out hope that this team can gel into a competitive factor in the conference.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball...... ]

Simms may have a health issue with blood pressure which needs to be addressed. CBB mentioned something in passing last night and I did not catch all the details, but he is clearly concerned about several players with injury or health related circumstances, especially this early in the season.

Dec 5, 2018, 4:26 PM

I missed him saying that. Kid certainly is extremely athletic. Trapp has looked like he has made great strides over last year as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball...... ]

I know that they have dealt w injuries and havent had many practices with the full compliment of guys so far. That has slowed development for sure. I still hope the will be good but I think it will be with a much more deliberate style of play. Last year if we'd have had Grantham as Devoe exploded offensively I think they could have gotten to the final 4

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball...... ]

The motion offense Brad likes to run isn't in sync, we don't have much of an inside-out game as yet, the dribble-drive game from the guards usually results in a lay-up or turnover, passers are not hitting shooters in a shooting position, and we're not getting offensive production from our bench. Other than that, we're talented, long, and move well. Only the basketball gods know how it'll develop over the next 3+ weeks before league play begins. The freshmen/transfers all have talent and are better than the recruits from Brad's early years.

Dec 8, 2018, 10:14 AM

Gabe and Grantham were “take control” leaders. I don’t see any of our seniors in a real take charge role. Team needs a leader in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus, 3 pt. shooting has gone South, miss Gabe leading the

Dec 5, 2018, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I haven't been able to watch any Clemson Basketball...... ]

way. Skara and Amir started off really well, but have tailed off offensively.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2018, 4:06 PM

Going with what 74 said, I may have had unrealistic expectations for this team. I knew we were going to miss Gabe's scoring, but something else seems to be seriously missing. I'm sure they will get better unless Reed is out (because then we are done). I'm going to temper my expectations for this year.

Dec 5, 2018, 4:33 PM

Does anyone know the status on Malik William. Has not player yet

Dec 5, 2018, 4:42 PM

YES

I’ve watched most games.....

Dec 5, 2018, 4:57 PM

And here’s what I see.....

- Injuries have hurt frontcourt depth. Jemison and William would have been helpful. White is serviceable, but my guess is his minutes would be less without the other injuries. E. Thomas gets in foul trouble and then we struggle.

- Individuals like Skara and in particular Trapp have really improved offensively. However, the overall team play/chemistry has not clicked yet.

- New freshmen are solid...but are still finding their way.

- Reed and Mitchell are fine...but we miss DeVoe badly....his shooting stretched out defenses and opened things up for the other guys.

- We can improve....but it would be wise for everyone to adjust expectations...if we somehow make the tourney that would be pretty special

We aren’t a top 25 team right now.

Dec 5, 2018, 10:26 PM

Probably not a top 40 team either. Based on preseason expectations, that seems like a disappointment.

However, we have had significant injuries. Eli Thomas has had some nagging injuries and didn’t practice regularly until this week. Malik William had a concussion a couple of months ago and still hasn’t been cleared to practice. Trey Jamison had knee surgery and just started practicing last week as well.

As you can see, our frontcourt depth has taken a huge hit. Plus, Skara decided late in the summer to return to the team so he missed out on spring and summer workouts.

Some of our transfers will help. Javan White is a big body and has shown some good skills, but he hasn’t gotten a ton of minutes. I think he has potential though.

As a result of our injuries, as well as the unexpected (and last minute) transfer of guard A.J. Oliver, we haven’t had enough bodies to practice. Not being able to go 5 on 5 in practice is a big deal.

Thankfully, we have some good players back from last year. Thomas, Reed, and Mitchell have all played well at times this year, but our team hasn’t quite jelled like I expected. Hopefully as players get healthy, we will hit our stride.

We need to shore up a few areas IMO:

-Improve perimeter defense.
-Improve rebounding.
-Develop some additional outside shooters.

No need to panic yet. We don’t have any bad losses (both Creighton and Nebraska will be NCAA Tournament teams this year), but we don’t have any great wins yet either. Struggling with St. Peter’s, who was picked next to last in the MAC and lost by 50 to Auburn, doesn’t inspire much confidence. However, Brownell has shown an uncanny ability to get a lot out of his teams, and show good overall improvement over the course of a season. The doom and gloom predictions you’re seeing are premature, especially since we have one of the best (and most experienced) backcourts in the country.

I still feel that we will make the NCAAs this year, but maybe not the 3 or 4 seed we hoped for when the season started. Still, it’s a long season and we are just getting started.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Like your optimism, however White looks thin to me...***

Dec 5, 2018, 11:32 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

White is 6'10" and 230 lbs.

Dec 6, 2018, 12:00 PM

I don't think that is thin. He has some muscle on him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Like your optimism, however White looks thin to me...***

Dec 8, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Like your optimism, however White looks thin to me...*** ]

I don't think we are using White correctly. He has had close or over double doubles including 20 rebounds against major power teams like Arkansas and others when he was at Oral Roberts last season. . I would try putting him at the power forward spot next to Thomas and see if he improves some especially when Simms comes out of the game.

Re: Like your optimism, however White looks thin to me...***

Dec 8, 2018, 10:25 AM

I agree. At least at times.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,519
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic