Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have not seen this mentioned yet.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,881

I have not seen this mentioned yet.

Oct 12, 2017, 2:09 PM

Adding another secondary coach was another genius move by Dabo. Before the season started, all we heard was how the secondary would be the worst part of the defense. Conn and Reed seem to have them playing lights out and kudos to Dabo for trying something different and switching things up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have not seen this mentioned yet.

Oct 12, 2017, 2:17 PM

I agree. Also have you heard anything about Lemanski Hall ever added to the coaching staff? I remember a big talk about a new rule where you can add another coach to the staff over the summer and I heard a lot of great things about Hall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2017, 2:24 PM

We can hire a new coach I think in Jan 2018. Lemansky supposedly is in line for this gig.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Hopefully we can dedicate more resources to ST

Oct 12, 2017, 2:29 PM

Still the one glaring weakness on this team. Fortunately bad ST play frequently doesn't punish really good teams, but it wouldn't shock me if we eventually lost a game this year because of it.

We are bad at ST?

Oct 12, 2017, 2:44 PM

We lost our All-ACC FG kicker, but Spence is solid and will get better with more attempts.

Spiers is a pure upgrade to Teasdall, he just needs more experience.

Ray Ray is returning punts better this year than last.

Etienne and Feaster are better kickoff returners than last year.

Spence is consistently putting the kickoff at the 1 yard line, which gives our ST a chance to pin them within the 20.

Haven't we already blocked 1-2 FGs and caused another couple of misses?

The only part on ST that we haven't been great at is KO coverage, but that hasn't been terrible.

What is the glaring weakness on ST? I'd say our glaring weakness is KB having a tough time hitting short to intermediate passes in stride and then almost a complete lack of TE involvement. Both of which I doubt to continue once KB gets more experience and settles down, and once Elliot opens up the playbook a bit more.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Yes, we are indeed bad (again).

Oct 12, 2017, 3:26 PM

Each year we seem to improve in one area while regressing in another.

101st (out of 130 teams) in ESPN's ST efficiency

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/stEfficiency/tab/efficiency

124th in ST S&P+

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-clemson-advanced-statistical-profile

We are 3/7 on FG attempts. Spence is 1/3 and also missed an XP so i think it's a little premature to call him "solid." Huegel was solid.. Spence is unproven at best.

Spiers looks good on paper, but his low kicks have yielded many returns. Despite averaging more yards per punt, we are actually worse than we were a year ago with Teasdall's short kicks. We are currently 118th in punt success rate. Or if you really hate advanced stats, we are like 87th in net punting.

Punt returns have indeed been pretty solid. We are a respectable 42nd in punt return success rate, and Ray Ray is averaging about 10 yards per return which is good for 25th in the nation.

Etienne and Feaster are more promising kick returners, but that has not translated into good returns thus far. Maybe this will start to correct itself as the season continues to progress, but we are currently 117th in kick return success rate. Really we haven't had many opportunities, but we also haven't done anything with the one's we've had. This is it for our returns (excluding 2 onside kicks). The number is the yard line the return ended on.

Powell (2) - 24, 21
Etienne (3) - 9, 21, 28

A "successful" return is one that makes it beyond the 25 yard line so we are only 1/5 in that category. Admittedly it's a small sample size. We haven't received a great deal of KOs due to the defensive dominance, and we've also faced some strong-legged kickers that have put a lot into the EZ.

Interestingly enough, kickoff coverage has actually been our strength this year. We are currently 34th in kickoff success rate, and that's despite not getting many touchbacks.

Re: Yes, we are indeed bad (again).

Oct 12, 2017, 3:43 PM

I think some of stats are just anomalies though. The kickoff returns will improve. Like you mentioned, not many teams have scored on us and we've faced some big legs thus far. Etienne has also bobbled 2 of his attempts. 1 of which still got back to the 21. It'll come with experience.

Both of Spence's misses were from over 40 yards out. One hit the upright and the other he actually hit the first time but an offensive penalty moved it back 5 yards and then he missed, IIRC. Spence missed 1 out of 5 extra points in his very first career start. I'd say Spence is solid. Like I said, he needs more attempts.

Spiers is still an upgrade from Teasdall. Without the rugby style punts last year, Teasdall would have looked even worse. Spiers has the talent and just needs experience. He has had some excellent punts thus far, but he has also had a few poor ones. Still, I think most would agree that Spiers is a good punter.

Stats don't paint the entire picture. Without looking at our stats, I'd say I'm more comfortable with the ST play this year than last year. Losing Greg definitely hurt, but he did also miss 2 FGs already. Ray Ray is bound to take one to the house this year. Etienne probably will too.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Hall is still going to be the next coach but it won't be

Oct 12, 2017, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I have not seen this mentioned yet. ]

until next year.

Re: Hall is still going to be the next coach but it won't be

Oct 12, 2017, 2:37 PM

Thank y'all for the info. Hall is going to be a great addition I can feel. It played a lot of time in the NFL and I've heard he's got the personality like Dabo. Dabo knows how to get some special coaches. Go Tigers!

Oct 12, 2017, 2:27 PM

Having the DB's practice with boxing gloves on this year helped as well. The PI calls were killers last year.

Yep, Dabo said that he got that idea from Bill Belichick.

Oct 12, 2017, 2:28 PM

Thankfully we haven't had near as many pi calls this year.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,881
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic