Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't think fans understand that Noon ABC is a primetime
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

I don't think fans understand that Noon ABC is a primetime

Oct 22, 2018, 1:43 PM

slot for football. Clemson is a national brand and the ACC is down this year. We are not going to get the ABC/ESPN night game slot because the ACC is a little down.

We are not going to get the 3:30 slot as often because those are generally REGIONAL spots for "pretty good teams" due to the fact that 3:30 CBS SEC game is the major game at 3:30.

We are not going to be the 7:00 ESPN2 or ESPNU slot because that is the slot that Virgina Tech, Duke, FSU, etc will get as being mediocre teams.

It sucks, but TV networks are maximizing viewing potential. The reason NC ST game wasn't at Noon was because Mich/Michigan ST was a major game at Noon and the SEC did not have a marquee 3:30 game.

Just trying to help understand that this isn't a Clemson decision. It's a TV decision and a huge compliment to Clemson as being a National Brand.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you understand that I dont care

Oct 22, 2018, 1:51 PM

about TV or networks.

how do you know this isn't a Clemson decision ?

Do you , in your heart of hearts, believe that Clemson has absolutely no say in when it plays it's home games?

i.hope to find out. all i gotta do is win this lottery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Clemson has zero control over a TV game.

Oct 22, 2018, 1:52 PM

It’s kind of how contracts work with all that TV money.

That's simply not true***

Oct 22, 2018, 1:55 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in my 17 years on tnet I've learned a few things

Oct 22, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Clemson has zero control over a TV game. ]

the mob mentality rules.

couple years ago clemson was weak and lost games because of Baston.

wasn't true, but it was an easy scapegoat so people went with it.

when it comes to home game times the scape goat has become clemson's lack of control.

I don't buy it for 1 second.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: in my 17 years on tnet I've learned a few things

Oct 22, 2018, 2:37 PM

the mob mentality rules.

couple years ago clemson was weak and lost games because of Baston.

wasn't true, but it was an easy scapegoat so people went with it.

when it comes to home game times the scape goat has become clemson's lack of control.

I don't buy it for 1 second.

I'm with you.

Clemson has zero control over these games.

Oct 22, 2018, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I don't think you understand that I dont care ]

These games are strategically picked by ESPN/ABC.

The Noon ABC/ESPN national timeslot is for a major game. 3:30 is generally a regional slot. That's why on the week 10 schedule you see FSU vs NC St at 3:30 on ABC OR ESPN2. It depends where you live in the country.

Meanwhile, Clemson vs Louisville is national ABC.

ur still not getting it.. I dont care

Oct 22, 2018, 2:07 PM

I got to the home games. I dont watch them on tv so I dont care about abc, cbs, or espn.

I also don't believe that Clemson has absolutely no control over when it kicks a ball.

It seems like you care. TV contracts are everything

Oct 22, 2018, 2:14 PM

for these conferences. It sucks, but they are in control.

No, there ARE preferences, Dabo has said as much***

Oct 22, 2018, 2:19 PM

Preferences are meaningless, now. And, Dabo does not

Oct 22, 2018, 2:25 PM

prefer Noon games, fyi. He has stated how difficult it is for recruits to come in for Noon games in Clemson if they're out of state. Very few families are willing to leave at 2 or 3 AM when they just got home at 11pm from their HS football game.

3:30 is a great time for recruits because coaches can spend a little time after the games with them.

again I don't buy it for 1 second. Walt Disney

Oct 22, 2018, 2:36 PM

does not have absolute control over Clemson.

Re: ur still not getting it.. I dont care

Oct 22, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to ur still not getting it.. I dont care ]

I got to the home games. I dont watch them on tv so I dont care about abc, cbs, or espn.

I also don't believe that Clemson has absolutely no control over when it kicks a ball.

Agreed!!!

Re: ur still not getting it.. I dont care

Oct 22, 2018, 4:32 PM [ in reply to ur still not getting it.. I dont care ]

Go take a look at the earnings report for Clemson football and then look at how much money comes in from TV contracts, and THEN tell me you don't believe it.

I'll wait.

Clemson can pick to play whenever they want to, but that means the networks wont play us.

Also remember, its not only about Clemson, the other team is factored in to this as well. They also have TV contracts with obligations to meet.

For simplicity's sake, no, Clemson has very little control over when they get to kickoff. Clemson wants to make as much money as possible on TV revenue, so they agree to the best slots that are offered to them. The best slots are the ones on the networks with the most viewers. Hence, why we keep getting ABC/ESPN noon games.

You are living in the past

Oct 22, 2018, 5:47 PM [ in reply to ur still not getting it.. I dont care ]

Clemson hasn't had any control over game start time since we were forced to play Thursday night games. We used to start every home game at 1:00. You could set your watch by it. But those days are gone with TV contracts. The only time Clemson gets to set a game time would be if the game is not televised, which is not desirable for many fans.

Re: Clemson has zero control over these games.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Clemson has zero control over these games. ]

Screw TV Noon Time. We have enough contributions coming in anyway. Just fill all the Seats.

Re: I don't think you understand that I dont care

Oct 22, 2018, 5:36 PM [ in reply to I don't think you understand that I dont care ]

Gametimes would be announced much sooner if it were not for Network decisions. 30 years ago even when a game was televised you knew game time way in advance.
The only reason to not like ND is because their NBC contract opens the door to dismantle conferences which would kill small market schools that rely on playing bug market schools.
This is all because of Network control of games based solely on ratings.
https://t.co/R72xepp21Z?amp=1
There may be a time in the future where players will be traded for money in college football. There will be no FCS or even non Power 4/5. It will more than likely switch to a Power 4. They have been in talks for years. The conferences have been rushing to get their own TV networks but will still have to rely on bigger networks and hope that teams under conference contract do not go rogue which large networks will be able to accommodate by paying the buyout.
If you do not realize this you have not been paying attention. No team anywhere determines what time they will play even in pro sports. It is determined by the largest TV market based on tons of data.

I understand that it is a huge pain in my a$$ and it lessens

Oct 22, 2018, 1:54 PM

my viewing pleasure...I understand that...The rest is all a bunch of BS that people try to trot out there to excuse the sh1tty gametime...Spare me your spin, if Noon was so fooking great, Bama would schedule more Nooners

First of all, the SEC has a different contract than the ACC

Oct 22, 2018, 2:06 PM

including CBS getting a pick. Second, ESecPN treats Alabama different than they do Clemson. The premise being argued against is somehow Clemson's athletic department is choosing the noon game times.

The Dude abides

The SEC contract is different. CBS 3:30 is the first pick

Oct 22, 2018, 2:11 PM [ in reply to I understand that it is a huge pain in my a$$ and it lessens ]

and then ESPN gets the 2nd pick and will often slot that game for 7pm if there's a halfway decent option. So Bama will often get the 7pm pick. Bama has played a couple of Noon games also, which is the "3rd pick" basically for SEC.

How does it lessen your viewing pleasure?***

Oct 22, 2018, 5:17 PM [ in reply to I understand that it is a huge pain in my a$$ and it lessens ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lack of sleep***

Oct 22, 2018, 5:29 PM

Will Beth be covering our primetime slot?***

Oct 22, 2018, 2:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think fans understand that Noon ABC is a primetime

Oct 22, 2018, 2:15 PM

That's bull! Bowden used to mention in his coaching show that he would pick 12 noon game time for televised games and 1 pm game time for non-televised games. He preferred those games because loyal fans from the coast (i.e. deep pocket boosters) wanted to be able to get back home at a reasonable hour on Saturday night. That way they could make it to church services on Sunday. So don't tell me Clemson has no control of game time because they do. It's just the Clemson fans who pay the school the most money prefer the 12 noon game time.

You're living in the dark ages, man.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

I remember the 1pm games well.

Those days of having any sort of preference are over. The TV contracts back then were pennies compared to now, even in 2000 when Bowden was here.

Coaches may prefer a certain time, but that means absolutely nothing anymore. Dabo has stated plenty of times that Noon games are awful for recruits coming from out of state. Very rarely are they willing to drive thru the night to Clemson after getting home from their High School game at 11pm.

Re: You're living in the dark ages, man.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:30 PM

We have Millions pouring into the University & Iptay without TV. Why should our Fans be penalized for all these Noon TV Times? As Dabo said, it's not an advantage for our Recruits.

Equals 9a on West Coast.. Perfect! FSU Beatdown Breakfast.***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Screw the TV Stations. It Stinks that they are putting ACC Teams on at 7:00 that are not even ranked or are low in the rankings. SICK of the NOON Games. Traffic is always an issue. Doesn't allow time to have a decent Tailgate. It is not fair for people that need to drive in from out of State or a few hours away. Not everyone can afford hotel rooms or can stay overnight. We live in Greenville, but still have to get up at 5:00am or 5:30 to prepare for the drive down. Our friends & relatives in NC would need to leave Charlotte area ny 5:30am to make the drive. By the time we get in our parking space & set up the Tailgate only leaves about an hour before it is time to put it away & make it into the game. Just will sell my Tickets or let them sit empty. If we decide to go, we will just stay at the Tailgate & watch it on our TV. We don't attend the away games for the same reason, Noon. When you are in the top 5 you should be able to pick your TV time. We don't have to accept their crappy times. They will be the ones that catch crap if we aren't Televised. It's Time for a Change. Tired of being screwed. "Ticked Off"

You aren't being "screwed"

Oct 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

And get over yourself with this "it ain't far" crud.

I understand you wish it was at a different time. Many people do as well.

But honestly, you get about 7 chances a year to come out and watch the Tigers play in the valley. Enjoy them rather than griping.

Just my 2 cents.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it asking too much for a couple of non-noon games? If it

Oct 22, 2018, 2:44 PM

is, then I'm asking too much too

I'm not arguing you shouldn't want different times

Oct 22, 2018, 2:49 PM

Heck, I'm not arguing you should advocate or make requests for different times.

What I am saying is the whole "we're being screwed" and "it's not fair" verbiage he was using comes off as very whiny (not to mention that it simply isn't true).

You'll note I didn't respond to your posts in the same manner because I understand your frustration and you aren't coming across the same way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

now you are getting it.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:44 PM [ in reply to You aren't being "screwed" ]

only get 7 chances so we want to make the most of them. be on campus as much as.we can.

people who watch on tv don't go to the game so it doesn't matter as much

Yeah, the only 7 times excuse works BOTH ways***

Oct 22, 2018, 2:46 PM

It's not an excuse.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:51 PM

It's a reason to view the whole thing differently. And more specifically it's a reason for the person arguing they are being screwed or treated unfairly to view the whole thing differently.

I myself prefer 3:30 games, other folks love night games, and still others prefer noon. None of them are being screwed or treated unfairly when they don't get what they want

It is an excuse when it is being used to overlook crappy

Oct 22, 2018, 2:59 PM

game times though

I've missed 3 home games since 1992, but I'm just explaining

Oct 22, 2018, 2:58 PM [ in reply to now you are getting it. ]

the rationale that ESPN/ABC uses in selecting game times.

TV contracts help pay the bills for our athletic dept and we are at their mercy on game times assuming they wish to broadcast our game.

I like to just tailgate after the game on nooners

Oct 22, 2018, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think fans understand that Noon ABC is a primetime ]

- Still get a full day of tailgating

- No traffic leaving

- Still get home in time to eat dinner and watch the evening games

It would be nice if Dabo could pick the TV time, but I don't

Oct 22, 2018, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think fans understand that Noon ABC is a primetime ]

think anyone but the networks make those decisions, these days. Money means power!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nm

Oct 22, 2018, 2:39 PM

Nm

Nm

Oct 22, 2018, 2:42 PM

Nm

I’m sure those Californians are going to wake up

Oct 22, 2018, 2:43 PM

at 9am to watch a team in Clemson, South Carolina play an awful team from Louisville, Kentucky.....hooray for national coverage.

Meanwhile, I’ll be waking up at the butt crack of dawn just to have barely enough time to eat some breakfast at the tailgate before going into the game.

Message was edited by: solidorangetigerfan14®

Message was edited by: solidorangetigerfan14®

Re: I’m sure those Californians are going to wake up

Oct 22, 2018, 3:26 PM

When I was in the Army in Washington State I used to love waking up and watching games before noon. I was out there when the Gamecocks choked that unbeaten season away to Navy and I think it was on or I’m just remembering the highlights. Talk about starting your day off right. And by the way, Clemson was on probation for two of those years I was out there and not on TV. My parents used to tape (VHS!) games for me that must have been replayed at night or the next day. Imagine a Top 5 team not being on TV today. I’ll never complain about games times as long as they’re on somewhere. As far as going to the games at noon, at least Clemson is in the eastern time zone. I feel for my Auburn friends who play a lot of games this year at 11:00 am! That’s what happens when you wet the bed three times.

I dont give a ratz ....

Oct 22, 2018, 2:52 PM

### about ABC/ESPN/Swofford's ACC,

I want my game at 3:30, ######!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 2:54 PM

Oh I understand that it's primetime, I just don't care. I want to have time to tailgate and not have to wake up super early on a Saturday in a failing effort to avoid awful noon game traffic. When you spend money on a parking space, you want to be able to use it in a meaningful way.

You could always tailgate after the game

Oct 22, 2018, 3:57 PM

Sucks you gotta get up early still, but at least then you can tailgate all afternoon and leave with no traffic. And still get home at a decent hour.

Noon is NOT a primetime...period

Oct 22, 2018, 2:58 PM

spin all you want, it is a #### timeslot

If you can't understand how TV networks categorize gametimes

Oct 22, 2018, 3:06 PM

then it's a lost cause.

But in the TV executives minds, Noon on ABC is a very marketable time slot when compared to a 7pm game on ESPN2 competing with 3 other "big games". That's why Duke is playing at 7pm and not Clemson.

Keep clinging to that excuse***

Oct 22, 2018, 4:36 PM

It is about trying to win slots by the network but

Oct 22, 2018, 3:03 PM

LSU -Bama is the CBS game that week and its at 8pm. This probably came down to when the PSU -Michigan game was slotted and Clemson game being at a diff time. That game got 3:30 slot. A lot of time B10 games are noon or 8 so not sure why they chose this time to plop that one at 3:30

Oct 22, 2018, 3:20 PM

You take the kings coins, you do the kings bidding. TV money is important. TV executives want viewers, that bring in advertisers, that bring in dollars. We are more than a regional draw, most Clemson viewers are not at the game.

I get your frustration, but It comes with the territory.

keep in mind that the "noon" games

Oct 22, 2018, 3:49 PM

For Bama, SEC West, big 12 and Big Ten are actually 11am local time for them

Using the OP's logic, that's an extra hour of exposure no?***

Oct 22, 2018, 4:39 PM

Oct 22, 2018, 4:03 PM

We didn't have this problem about choice of game time when I first came to Clemson. All games began at 1:00 PM, rain or shine. The crowds were not large so traffic and parking was no problem. Parking was essentially first come, first served. But then things changed. Lights were installed so we could play after dark, just like the high school games. Some fans were happy, some fans didn't like it and Al Gore had not yet invented the internet so the only way we could voice our opinion was to write a letter or place a phone call from a land line.

There was no Clemson games on TV because all true Tiger fans were at the game and the few that could not make it were listening to the games on their radios. People in any nearby state who lived more than 200 miles from Clemson didn't give a hoot about Clemson.

Then something happened. Clemson won a national championship and the Clemson Tigers became a household word. Fans filled the stadium and we had to add more seats. People from throughout the United States began to notice Clemson and Clemson became one of their favorites. The TV moguls decided they needed to satisfy this new found thirst for Tiger football and began showing our games on national television, And then all hello broke loose. When can we best reach the appropriate audience -- early afternoon,. mid afternoon or late?

And, therein, lies our problem. Just too many dange choices and not one where every fan will agree is the best.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 5:05 PM

Wait Joe. Didn't they usta start at 2 and were moved to 1 because of some assinine reasoning about saving fuel during the first gas crisis? (Modern gas crisis - not WW II).

Oct 22, 2018, 4:06 PM

I like the moon game because I can go hunting after its done

I hate drinking beer with my breakfast so I prefer 3:30 or 7

Oct 22, 2018, 4:22 PM

Bacon, eggs and beer, no thanks

Bama-LSU is the night game on 11/3***

Oct 22, 2018, 4:25 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if it were a Thursday or Friday night game.

Oct 22, 2018, 5:14 PM

This week the ACC has game on each day.

What other P5 conference would do this?

Thanks Swofford.

We are playing at noon because no one but Tiger Fans...

Oct 22, 2018, 6:33 PM

...want to see Clemson beat the crap out of other teams.

It's not a bad problem to have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic