Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I do not believe that The U will ever be "back"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I do not believe that The U will ever be "back"

Oct 12, 2020, 1:23 PM

South Florida has never been short on talent and Miami has always managed to draw in a great deal of that talent.
The issue is that (unlike the 80's through the early 2000's) you can't put a team full of undisciplined, short tempered young men, as talented as they may be, on a football field and expect them to compete for championships. It takes a program that has a vision and clear focus, along with talent and the discipline to do what it takes to achieve their goals, to compete for championships.
When Miami's DC was asked about one of his star lineman being ejected against FSU due to two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties he replied with (and I'm paraphrasing here) we can't expect to hold that against him because that is the culture of this program. To play with high emotion.
It is because of this type of immature and near sighted culture that has embedded itself into this program that will be the reason Miami will never return to stable national prominence. It would take a complete tear down and rebuild from the ground up and I am not sure their program is humble or patient enough to see it through.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct. And they have tried it both ways. Thug Life and

Oct 12, 2020, 1:26 PM

Mark Richt.

Sadly, their core identity is as thugz. For all the reasons you mention, unless and until that changes (and Richt probably proves it won't), they're just a page in the history books.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Correct. And they have tried it both ways. Thug Life and

Oct 12, 2020, 1:29 PM

Richt acted like he was different but look at his Ga tenure. He let lots go at both places. And why is he on tv? CTB is more lively than Richt and that isnt saying much

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Richt has been dragging more since his heart attack.***

Oct 12, 2020, 2:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do not believe that The U will ever be "back"

Oct 12, 2020, 1:27 PM

their D line up offside most of the night. It isnt a real well coached group

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be

Oct 12, 2020, 1:31 PM

"back" next year, along with the other teams who are perennially "back"...until they aren't:
Florida
Florida State
Texas
Virginia Tech
LSU

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL @ Texas.

Oct 12, 2020, 1:34 PM

So true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be

Oct 12, 2020, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be ]

Pittsburgh
Tennessee
Illinois
Nebraska
Minnisota
Cal
Iowa
SMU
Army

take you pick of the Ivys too

Re: Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be

Oct 12, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be ]

Fla is back they just need only home games. bunch of babies

Absolutely but don't forget Tennessee and Michigan! LOL***

Oct 12, 2020, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Agree with your points, but we all know that they'll be ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 1:36 PM

I think you are really close to being right about this with one major exception.

"The U" will never be back because they think the dominant teams in the 80-90s were undisciplined thugs who worried about everything except for playing football.

The current players, and players for the last 15 years try to emulate "The U" in their attitude and behavior, but what they don't realize is that the thugs that dominated college football were "all about ball".

The showed up every game with the intentions of doing whatever it took to be able to wipe the opposing team off the field. When their job was done, that's when they danced and talked trash and showed their personalities.

The priorities are different now for the players there and it shows.

I believe King is a positive influence in the room, but Saturday shows that he isn't enough to overcome years of training to be wannabes.

Oct 12, 2020, 1:46 PM

Yes, spot on here. Today's kids watch the shows on what The U use to be and the try to emulate that but to no avail. They think if they act the act, all will follow suit. We'll, it ain't happening. You know the old school U players from back in the day sit around and talk about how push-ee/soft these new kids are. And they are like, "MAN, if we could have suited up in practice vs these punk kids at our school today, we would destroy them"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 1:56 PM

What else is interesting...

Somewhere in the early 00s, the talent diverged. 1/2 of the hardlife decided to become smarter, the other decided to become "harder". The top talent not only comes from the hustle class, but the smart hustle is beating the hard hustle every time.

Now the "show" kids are the hustle harder because they can't hustle smarter. The smart kids are now just as hard.

Same thing has happened in basketball as well.

But the smart money comes from the side hustle.***

Oct 12, 2020, 2:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I keep saying this. It shocks me that the Miami Admin

Oct 12, 2020, 2:04 PM

...their leadership and, indirectly, the academic side of the university (which of course is why they are there)...I cant believe that they let this continue. It would be one thing if they were winning national championships, but they aren’t.

I’m not saying that they should get into a battle with the coach about how to run the program...just after this guy leaves or is fired, hire the guy that will instill discipline and a little more dignity to the program and give him time.

null

Re: I keep saying this. It shocks me that the Miami Admin

Oct 12, 2020, 2:11 PM

Jeff Scott says... "I'm your Huckleberry". Too early for him to leave USF I think but if anyone could do it...

Oct 12, 2020, 2:18 PM

Miami is a private school similar to Duke.

Without the thug history, they don't have much going for them to attract football players.

So, they get talent but it's thug talent who want to go there because of the history.

Their thugs just aren't that talented and the rules have changed enough to limit the value of dirty play.

Even when Miami was a top team, they'd lead the country in penalties. So did FSU when they were good. They just had enough talent to overcome it or playing to the edge meant they sometimes went over it.

I doubt they can establish a program because their players are too undisciplined to develop into a system and that's what the most successful programs are now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 2:23 PM

It's one thing to play with high emotion. The other part is to keep emotions in check. If that's the way the Miami DC truly feels, then he's in for a lot more disappointment.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Oct 12, 2020, 2:57 PM

The right coach there and Miami could be a threat sooner rather than later, but he would have to be disciplinarian first.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that "thug" mentality worked back in their hayday, when they

Oct 12, 2020, 3:18 PM

had loads of talent all over the field but it won't work now because a lot of their opponents are loaded with more talent and will steamroll them.

Not with a coach named "Manny"

Oct 12, 2020, 5:28 PM

NM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 5:33 PM

The word for this is - “culture” or the way you do things. Not what you believe, but how you put what you believe into practice.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 7:19 PM

The reason they can't be "The U" anymore has nothing to do with thuggery. It has everything to do with the fact recruiting is national now and they can no longer lock down the vast majority of 4/5-star talent in south Florida. Those days will never return.

Alabama, Clemson, UF, UGA and others plunder south Florida every year and that will never change. Also, to be polite, The U is not exactly attractive to players outside the state (or even outside Dade County).

Miami's realistic upside is to be 2nd best in the ACC to us.

Oct 12, 2020, 7:23 PM

And Tiger Woods will never overtake the Bear in Major wins.

Oct 12, 2020, 7:30 PM

TigerRam81 said:

South Florida has never been short on talent and Miami has always managed to draw in a great deal of that talent.
The issue is that (unlike the 80's through the early 2000's) you can't put a team full of undisciplined, short tempered young men, as talented as they may be, on a football field and expect them to compete for championships. It takes a program that has a vision and clear focus, along with talent and the discipline to do what it takes to achieve their goals, to compete for championships.
When Miami's DC was asked about one of his star lineman being ejected against FSU due to two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties he replied with (and I'm paraphrasing here) we can't expect to hold that against him because that is the culture of this program. To play with high emotion.
It is because of this type of immature and near sighted culture that has embedded itself into this program that will be the reason Miami will never return to stable national prominence. It would take a complete tear down and rebuild from the ground up and I am not sure their program is humble or patient enough to see it through.

1st. Great Post.
2nd. What people don't realize is the Miami that was so dominant in the late 80's and 90's and 2001 was built by Howard Schnellenberger.
It wasn't built around intimidation and being louder than the opponent. He built it from the ground up and took pride in it. It did not get that reputation until Jimmy Johnson then L. Coker and so on. When Miami was good - they were a whole lot less about the outside noise!
Everyone around that program loves the whol persona more than they love grinding to be better at football! And really, that's their problem!

http://www.umsportshalloffame.com/howard-schnellenberger.html

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic