Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am sick and tired of the annual alum - non alum
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I am sick and tired of the annual alum - non alum

Oct 19, 2016, 12:03 AM

craziness that infects the Clemson family on here. Being a Clemson Tiger fan has absolutely nothing to do with being a Clemson alumni or not. I am a Clemson grad and a Tiger fan. So are many of my friends who graduated from other colleges, or no college at all. Please stop this juvenile madness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am sick and tired of the annual alum - non alum

Oct 19, 2016, 12:07 AM

There has to be a reason to like everyone .

I just found mine for you .

+1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I'm with you. I think there may be slightly more interest

Oct 19, 2016, 12:31 AM

in the actual colleges by alum, but I could also break that down further.
I may care about the philosophy department and find it interesting the intermingling with the physics department, but not know anything about engineering. Isn'tthat the same thing but to a different degree for fans of athletics but with minimal investment in the school? And doesn't that make us essentially the same?
Or, are the students who care aboutacademics but not athletics less a part of Clemson than their counterparts?

Nope. We may not all be involvwd in every aspect, but we can still love what we love about Clemson.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Lol.. philosophy majors don't hang out with physics majors

Oct 19, 2016, 7:35 AM

Dummy. They hang out with English majors. Smoking weed.

In fact, physics majors don't hang out with anyone. They only socialize with their guild on world of warcraft.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Lol.. philosophy majors don't hang out with physics majors

Oct 19, 2016, 9:15 AM

When i was at Clemson I hung out mainly with education majors, and ended up marrying one. Is that acceptable to the tnet moral minority.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PS:

Oct 19, 2016, 9:18 AM

We have three children that are Clemson graduates.

Primary or secondary education ?***

Oct 19, 2016, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Lol.. philosophy majors don't hang out with physics majors ]

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

If by minimum investment you mean...

Oct 22, 2016, 5:16 AM [ in reply to I'm with you. I think there may be slightly more interest ]

'don't give a rat's #### about Clemson as a University and wish Clemson would stop wasting the players' time making them attend class and study then focus more on a national championship so that they could boast of being winners to their friends and fulfill their selfish egos,' I agree.

If by minimum investment in Clemson you mean 'think the University's main goal should be to build a football dynasty by dumbing down the entrance requirements and hire a coach who doesn't care about school work and the players moral attitudes so Clemson would be attractive to the players that even the SEC rejects,' then yeah, you're probably right.

Just kidding guys, my baby boy is a Clemson grad, his older brother will most likely graduate with a USuCk degree and go into medicine there. They love Clemson equally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2016, 12:46 AM

Most Clemson fans don't let that alum-non alum BS bother them, and for sure not the older ones. Most of the alums that say that bs don't have a clue of what true fan means bc, if they think or believe that you have to be a Clemson grad to be a true Clemson fan they are sadly mistaken. I was buying tickets to enter DV before most of them and some of their parents were born. And most of those making the claim that only an alum is a true fan, never witnessed Frank Howard walking the side lines in DV like a lot of us non alums have, and they can't tell me hog crap about being a true Tiger fan. A true fan of the Clemson Tigers would never try and make another fan feel like a lesser fan bc they didn't graduate from Clemson, and they are just bragging that they did, but they did through their parents bank account. That's like saying you're not a true Carolina Panther fan if you don't live in Charlotte NC!!! Screw those type, if you love Clemson you are a true Clemson fan!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2016, 1:09 AM

I'm an ALUM and PROUD of it but I welcome all Clemson fans even those that didn't attend Clemson as a student. I have several friends who are big Clemson fans but never got near the campus. Sometimes our pride in being a graduate and remembering how much we loved our special time on campus effects what we say to non alums . All we can do is say ...fuggedda bout it ...and let's have a beer.

^^^^^^^^^BZ^^^^^^^^^^

Oct 19, 2016, 4:26 AM

Nothing wrong with being proud of graduating from Clemson. The only time I have set foot on campus was to attend a game at the valley. Nothing wrong with that either. Got my degree from Troy State and still wanted the Tigers to beat the brakes off of them........nothing wrong with that either!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Oct 20, 2016, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: I am sick and tired of the annual alum - non alum ]

When I was 10 years old and knowing absolutely nothing about FB bc my Dad was a big time pro baseball fan, and if the New York Yankees were on any of our 3 TV station that we received, that is the channel we watched on Saturday's. My best friend in school was George Tindal, we were in the 5th grade at Pinewood school in Pinewood SC. George and his family were huge Clemson Fans and Clemson grads. George's uncle was Leslie Tindal, and he was once on the BOTs at Clemson, and he was the agriculture commissioner at one time. With me and George being best of friends in school, and after my Dad passed away, we moved right down the road from the Tindals. George and his mom and dad always invited me to go to the Clemson games with them, being dirt poor, my mom didn't have any money for a ticket, and the Tindal's always said no problem they had the tickets, and my mom finally let me go to the last game of the season. My first ever Clemson game was against the coots, that I didn't have a clue of who the gamecocks were. Needless for me to say, I became a Clemson that day 54 years ago!!! The next season, I went to every home game at Clemson, and one of those games was without my best friend George bc he was to sick to go, and I went with his family just like they were my family. From those years so long ago I was hooked. And I haven't ever felt that I needed approval or acceptance from a Clemson alum to be the best Clemson fan that I could be for 54 years now. My best friend George has since passed away from a car accident. I think about George and his family at some point every Clemson FB game. And today I love both Clemson FB and Clemson academically. And I'm proud of both!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you! If you show up to the games you

Oct 19, 2016, 5:14 AM

can make it to, or will not miss it on TV, you're just as much a fan as anyone else. I'm very grateful that I got the opportunity to go to CU and graduate.....two times over nonetheless. I would never downplay a fellow Tigers love for our university based on whether they're an alumnus or not. My grandfather (who lived through 2 WW's and The Great Depression) worked his tail off to give my Dad and uncle the opportunity he never had to attend Clemson. Let me hear anyone say my grandfather wasn't a "true fan" and I'll show you a spoiled brat. TU!

I am an alum, while my wife is not, but...

Oct 19, 2016, 5:15 AM

she yells not any less as loud as any other fans. We both continue to make some noise from when the opponent makes a huddle through the play.

She is not less of a Clemson fan than I am.

Re: I am an alum, while my wife is not, but...

Oct 19, 2016, 9:53 AM

My father was an engineering grad. Took me to games since I was little. I played basketball at a small naia school. Me and my daughter have been going to games since she was 6. We still go to every game together. She is now 20. He passed a while back but have such great memories. I belive my daughter will have the same when iam gone. love for Clemson means different things for different reasons. I bleed orange even though my degree isn't.

Oct 19, 2016, 5:41 AM

Being an alum, I think we have a special life long relationship with Clemson that only someone who attended and graduated from Clemson can have. Having said that - this special relationship with Clemson doesn't make us any better or worse fans than a non-alum. I've seen folks wearing Clemson rings at games that act like jerks and have seen non-alum's at games acting like jerks. Usually in both cases the over consumption of alcohol is involved.

My wife is a Wake Forest grad and you won't find a bigger Clemson fan than her. As she likes to say "I married into this craziness" but she has totally embraced the Clemson culture and wears orange and Clemson stuff almost as much as I do (much to the irritation of her Wake Forest alum family).

Last time I checked, Dabo is not a Clemson grad, nor is President Clements or half the people that work at Clemson; does that make them any less "Clemson family"? I think not as Clemson family means more than just a person's alum/non-alum status...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2016, 6:47 AM

i moved to SC in 89 and went to Pendleton til 1997. Never went to Clemson but I'm the biggest Clemson fan in WV. My mom worked for women's basketball and I want nothing but the best for Clemson. I go to away/bowl games and come to at least 1 home game a year. Have a basement that is solely dedicated to my Tigers. But anyways Go Tigers, Beat the Criminoles!!

I am an alum, but I was a fan first

Oct 19, 2016, 7:10 AM

And I did not suddenly become a better fan when I walked across the stage at Littlejohn on May 11, 1990.

I do have a fuller appreciation for the University as a whole than I did previously, but that is to be expected after spending 4 years of my life there. But I think everyone's connection to, and relationship with, the University is unique, and I am fascinated to hear everyone's stories. I know plenty of alumni who are not sports fans.

My parents and children, none of them alumni, are all rabid fans - in large part due to their relationship with the University through me.

I am a native South Carolinian. Does that make me a better citizen/resident than those of you who vacationed here and then decided to move here? I, of course, am proud of my native status, and that is something that those who are not natives will ever have. But I welcome you and applaud you for gathering information and CHOOSING TO JOIN ME HERE. That pretty much sums up my feelings about the alumni/non-alumni argument. #clemsonfamily #whatsyourstory

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#what'syourstory

Oct 19, 2016, 9:41 AM

One of the best Clemson fans I've ever known didn't have the opportunity to go to Clemson. She was the widow of a WWII soldier who never came home. He attended Clemson but left to go to war and didn't graduate. IPTAY accepted Miss Margaret's money for 40 plus years. She had prime 45 yard line seats in the South stands, and came toall the home games. At least that's what her best friend (my mother) said. We tailgated in the cemetery. If you have a problem with what someone has written, make your response about what was written, not about if the writer is an alum or non-alum.

Re: I am an alum, but I was a fan first

Oct 20, 2016, 2:18 PM [ in reply to I am an alum, but I was a fan first ]

Yes to the native South Carolina part...
and no to more people moving here. I dislike your analogy.
Everyone knows only native sons can be real clemson tigers.
#gobacktoOhio

I outlined 1 time before how I became a Clemson Fan....

Oct 19, 2016, 8:33 AM

As a military brat in Charleston who's Dad was enlisted (although he made the highest grade - E9.... oh, another proud story so I'll get back on topic) and therefore limited to in state education, I was told by my parents to find "whatever in state (public) school where I could get accepted. Luckily, I had decent grades and most of the schools were not as picky as they are now. I went to guidance, looked at the map of schools, and found the one that looked geographically as far away from Charleston that I could find, and the Clemson Application was submitted.

1 year later (1981) I was a Freshman at the best University in the country that I had no idea about. How lucky can a guy get in looking at a map!

So, my point is while I am an alum based on that fortuitous decision (actually twice now), I had no affiliation or knowledge before that day. There are non-alum's that have had family alum ties, or have just been around Clemson for generations. I don't think my degree makes me more of, or a better fan than those folks.

Just another side note, I now have a 2nd generation Clemson alum in my daughter, and hoping to continue that tradition!

Go Tigers!

The Barkertologists started this nonsense***

Oct 19, 2016, 9:44 AM

It's Semi-Annual. Off-season and new tradition of bye-week.***

Oct 20, 2016, 2:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, what is this nonsense?

Oct 20, 2016, 5:50 PM

I'm an alum, and I love Clemson, but if I say "man we need to hold on the ball", suddenly I'm an illiterate Gamecock. Cmon guys, you can wear the Orange glasses if you want, but I dont have to, and it doesnt make me any less of a fan.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, what is this nonsense?

Oct 22, 2016, 12:13 AM

If you don't admit that we are perfect all the time, naturally you're a coot;)

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic