Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am an old toot and have been around Clemson football for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

I am an old toot and have been around Clemson football for

Oct 17, 2017, 1:49 PM

six decades. My grandparents were first year contributors to IPTAY. I have seen some ups and downs. Charlie Pell, Red Parker, Ken Hatfield, Tommy West----ugh, Tommy Bowden (good coach but could not get us over the hump). Danny Ford had his coaching moments too and I remember in 1984 he went 7 & 4. In 85 he went 6 & 6. People wanted his head. Remember, this is after the 1981 National Championship. And speaking of coaching brain gas, why did Danny ever allow the Punt-rooskie when everyone in the house knew Bowden would not kick because it meant he would lose the game.

I know there are a lot of Coots on here tossing their infested feathers, but we have the best coach in NCAA football. We have the best school and facilities. One loss does not dismantle a program or minimize the success this staff has brought to CU. I remember at the beginning of this year many on here were saying we would go 7-4/8-3/ and 9-2 would be a dream year. Well, we are 6-1 and USUCK is still in the arm pit of the state and we are still Clemson in God's golden corner.

Let us be thankful for what we have had, what we have, and what we will have in the future.

That is all! Thanks for listening.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: I am an old toot and have been around Clemson football for

Oct 17, 2017, 3:18 PM

I share your reaction to the West hire. His bowl where Syr blew us out was infuriating

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 3:31 PM

I was living in the Syracuse area when we lost to them in that bowl game. I made a bet at work before the game in which I ended up having to wear a Syracuse hat all day at the office when we lost. I heard that most of the team got totally drunk the night before the game and were hung over when they played. Even West admitted he was not ready to be a head coach when he was hired.

I agree Dabo is one of the very top coaches in the country right now. But I still think it's ok to point out where mistakes were made. Because they were.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 10:02 PM

I was at the game when Mcnabb creamed us. Heard same about the boys being out but it was every night before the bowl game

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, there's a bunch of us here who know that

Oct 17, 2017, 3:21 PM

most of the good guys here lay low a bit after a we lose one

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound like a coot...

Oct 17, 2017, 3:25 PM

Haha, just kidding ??

Losses are hard. Some are harder than others. This one was really difficult bc of the lack of effort in seemingly all phases.

Just remember, we make those two FGs and we win by 3... so ultimately this is Greg Huegel’s fault (for getting hurt) ??

You started it

Oct 17, 2017, 9:46 PM

fire Huegel!

Not really :)

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2017, 7:40 PM

Well said BUT your dag gum handle has me scratching my head.

Went to Wofford on football and academic scholarships.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:16 PM

Was not good enough athletically to play big time. Was recruited by Saterfield when at Clemson. When he went to Wofford he extended the offer I took it. I was not as brave as Renfro!??

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Went to Wofford on football and academic scholarships.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:31 PM

Enjoyed reading your posts. You are correct, a thankful attitude can go along way..

Go Tigers

You coulda been a star!!!

Oct 17, 2017, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Went to Wofford on football and academic scholarships. ]

Based on your posts you probably are any way - just in a different way.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nm

Oct 17, 2017, 9:59 PM

I kno who ur now

Go Tigers

Re: Went to Wofford on football and academic scholarships.

Oct 17, 2017, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Went to Wofford on football and academic scholarships. ]

Points galore for you!
Before going to Clemson Steve Saterfield coached at Sumter high school (and it was probably called Edmunds High School at the time just before integration.) I THINK he got the Clemson job as a way to try to get Freddie Solomon to go to Clemson but not positive. Freddie also is from Sumter. The Saterfield family and my family were good friends. In fact our family went to visit him and spent the night at his house after he got the Clemson job. I was around 10 at the time. He had a hottie of a daughter, Kelly, who ended up cheering at coot U around 1980. I mean super hot!!
Steve gave me my first official size football when he coached in Sumter, a Spalding J5V. This was around late 60's when I was 10 or 11 years old. I use to go visit my friend who lived about 1/2 mile from me and I would punt the football the entire way there. I eventually I became our in high school punter. I had that same football until a senior in high school. :)
Small world.

Old coot. I appreciate your post. I am probably older

Oct 17, 2017, 7:45 PM

than you. My Mother and Father’s IPTAY numbers were 11 and 12.

Whoa!....very cool***

Oct 17, 2017, 8:10 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give Danny a little grace for '84 and '85

Oct 17, 2017, 8:15 PM

Those were the years when the loss of scholarships really hurt. That was when being on probation was actual, you know, punishment.

Oct 17, 2017, 9:31 PM

You couldn't be more wrong about the puntrooski. The reason it worked so well is no one in the stadium was expecting it. There was a minute and a half left and FSU was on their own 20 yard line. If the play doesn't work, Clemson has the ball in easy field goal range to win.

Sounds like you knowitall

Oct 17, 2017, 9:53 PM

:)

I dang sure didn't expect it but understand the OP in that if they had punted, they were done.

Think I actually said a bad word during and after that play - to myself of course! No one was harmed by my language that I am aware of or that I will admit to.

Go Tigers!!!

My apologies. You are correct sir. It was on the twenty.

Oct 18, 2017, 6:17 AM [ in reply to Re: I am an old toot and have been around Clemson football for ]

Regardless. Most in my section understood that if FSU punted the game was over and Bowden had a propensity for trick plays.

Tiger/Terrier

Funny old guy!

Oct 18, 2017, 6:10 AM

Not sure too many have written off the program, but thanks for the memories, and bringing up the worst play in Clemson history!

Oct 18, 2017, 5:16 PM

I'm glad I read this post. In my eyes, it was awesome. "Infested feathers". That's funny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2017, 6:22 PM

that was funny

Interesting side not on Tommy West

Oct 18, 2017, 6:07 PM

He is still coaching, currently DL coach for Middle Tennessee State. Nice guy, terrible HC.

Thanks

Oct 18, 2017, 6:29 PM

Great post.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2017, 6:31 PM

An old Toot that was summoned from some juans a$$ hole.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic