Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How to get rid of snakes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 119
| visibility 51

How to get rid of snakes?

May 16, 2015, 2:41 PM

So ive noticed the last week there have been alot of snakes around my house. Ive killed 3 just in the past 5 days. Its unusual because i only see 2 or 3 snakes around my yard a year and ive seen that many in just the past week. Im assuming there are more out there so my question is, how do i find them and get rid of them? Every where i looked online says to get professionals out here and catch them but i don't want to pay someone to do that when i can do it myself. Any advice on what i can do will be greatly appreciated, thank you

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remove their food source.

May 16, 2015, 2:45 PM

It's most likely mice or rats. Remove the rodent's food source, trap and poison them and the snakes will look for better feeding grounds.

If the snakes aren't poison leave them to their business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ was looking over my shoulder for the most correct answer***

May 16, 2015, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remove their food source.

May 16, 2015, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Remove their food source. ]

get a mongoose

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All my snakes are gone...

May 16, 2015, 4:22 PM

so mine is for sale.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All my snakes are gone...

May 16, 2015, 4:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All my snakes are gone...

May 18, 2015, 7:23 AM

Ya see? Caffeine makes a mongoose of some folks!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This^^^^^ 100% correct.***

May 18, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Remove their food source. ]

what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty

May 16, 2015, 2:46 PM

of food? if you eliminate their food source, you'll drive them away.

i'd personally never kill a black snake or some others that serve as "pest control" so depending on where your home is located, they can be your best friend.

Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty

May 16, 2015, 2:57 PM

Not really sure, hate to sound dumb but i don't know much about how to determine what kind of snake it is. I know its not garden snakesor water mocassens. There all black so I'm assuming just black snakes? Well anyways you said get rid of there food supply but i don't see ever see any rodents around my yard. I just want to seek out these bast@rds and kill them all. I don't have any kids but my girlfriend babysits 2 kids a couple of times a week. They usually go outside and play in the yard, i don't want one of them to get bit

i understand. what '88 and i was trying to point out is

May 16, 2015, 3:08 PM

they have to eat and what they eat might well be a much bigger problem than the snake.

black snakes will clean out all the furry unwanteds in and around your home/yard, but they can be territorial when they get big and have been known to challenge people.

if you have sheds or easy access under decks, your home, hollowed out stumps, a water source - pond, lake, creek or stream, you'd wanna start with the "sheltered" areas; even thick, heavy bushes & wood piles are also worth a poke around.

you will still want to try to eliminate their food source, so putting out rodent traps isn't a bad idea since the snakes are doing that work for you and now that you've cut their numbers, the furry critters will have fewer natural enemies.

good luck and keep the area where the kids play well groomed, including the bushes.

Like this.

May 18, 2015, 6:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I would keep the black snakes. They eat other snakes too.***

May 16, 2015, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

Re: I would keep the black snakes. They eat other snakes too.***

May 16, 2015, 3:44 PM

I had a girlfriend whose Mom killed 3 King snakes at their summer home on Lake Session in Abbeville one summer. The next summer, there were water moccasins everywhere around the property the next summer.

Tiger Band 70-74

Re: I would keep the black snakes. They eat other snakes too.***

May 17, 2015, 7:30 PM [ in reply to I would keep the black snakes. They eat other snakes too.*** ]

KING SNAKES eat other snakes!! common black snakes do not!some King Snakes look a lot like black snakes; they just have narrow yellow/white bands around them. some also look like Coral snakes but there is a difference in the bands.. check the bands.. red on yellow kill a fellow.. red on black venom lack!! teach to your kids

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's a good start

May 16, 2015, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/index.htm

I wouldn't fault you for killing any poisonous snakes, but as mentioned there are several beneficial non-poisonous snakes that I would leave alone. We have a rather large resident king snake in our backyard that I leave alone because it eats other snakes, including the poisonous ones.

It's probably moles then.

May 16, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

Do you have moles or soft ridges in the lawn? If you do then you need to leave the black snakes to their business. Moles are a pain in the ### to get rid of.

If you just can't stand the snakes we can still remove their food supply. I've got some magic beans that you can plant. When the beans become plants they bear more beans if the moles don't eat their roots first.

The roots of this particular bean plant is just as deadly as the beans. If you're around Greenville sometimes I'll get a few of them to you. They are dangerous. Ingested, one will kill a dog or a child, two will kill you. The snakes are safer if you have children.

I think the non country folk call them castor.

Put up a sign, "DO NOT BITE MY SNAKES!"

May 16, 2015, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

Teach the kids to follow directions and respect other's property, parents will appreciate it.

May 16, 2015, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

Why do you kill harmless snakes? The food source is probably frogs or mice. I have a farm and black snakes are outstanding to have. You should try to be more knowledgeable about snakes and not just kill every one you see. There are four poisonous snakes in this area. Cottonmouth, rattler, copperhead and coral. Coral are rare. Copperhead is most common. They strike first as a warning. Most times they won't inject venon. In fact they may not even puncture your skin. They have the ability to strike without using one or both fangs and can even strike and not inject venon. 95% of the time the hospital won't administer anti-venon for copperheads. Most poisonous snakes are pit vipers with a diamond shaped head and slit pupils. Round pupils normally means non-venomous.

May 17, 2015, 5:55 PM

We have numerous cottonmouths. My shepherd has killed at least 5 over the last two years. In the low country near a creek that drains into Ashley river. They have gotten her twice in her ears. Line worked great

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

May 16, 2015, 4:31 PM [ in reply to what kind? mature? are they there because there's plenty ]

Exactly!!! I'm scared to death of any brand of snake. But I have a friend that isn't, and I had him to put a black snake under my house because I was seeing mice turds under kitchen sink. The black snake was put under my house a little over a year ago, and today you can't find a mouse or a rat. For the sake of mine and my wife's hearts, I sure hope snake don't ever get in the house. That would be a sure heart attack!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my father had a king fall out of tree on him when i was very

May 16, 2015, 4:34 PM

young. he was petrified of them before and that didn't help one bit. i <3 snakes and used to bring home ring necks in my lunch box.

i was not always the favorite child.

you have good friend there, but you already know this.

Leave them. They aren't harmful to you

May 16, 2015, 3:21 PM

and are likely doing you a favor by eating rodents.
If you dont know what you or killing or why, then why do it? Bad choice amigo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

But if you have young kids, why take a chance?***

May 16, 2015, 3:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a young child. it took little effort to contact

May 16, 2015, 4:50 PM

Clemson Extension or consult internet or guidebooks to know whether it was a harmful snake or not.
More likely to experience issues with mouse poop than you are the snakes that eat the mice.
Taking a little time to know what and why you are doing something goes a long way.. also a good lesson for said young child.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

mothballs (nm)

May 16, 2015, 3:24 PM

z

Re: mothballs (nm)

May 16, 2015, 9:59 PM

They are so hard to catch and then you have to castrate them. Got to be an easier method.

You know what mothballs smell like?

May 16, 2015, 10:02 PM

You do? How'd you get their little legs apart?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: You know what mothballs smell like?

May 17, 2015, 3:39 PM

> You do? How'd you get their little legs apart?

Beer

I got two cats and that took care of my snake problem. I

May 16, 2015, 3:29 PM

live 15 miles east of the beach in Naples, out on the way to Big Cypress and the glades so there is no shortage of snakes in our area, but I haven't seen one in years.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather have rats and snakes than, than a ### cat.***

May 16, 2015, 4:35 PM

null

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

I love cats and dogs***

May 16, 2015, 7:51 PM

And now you have a cat problem***

May 16, 2015, 10:08 PM [ in reply to I got two cats and that took care of my snake problem. I ]

Re: How to get rid of snakes?

May 16, 2015, 3:30 PM

depending on kind, you may not want to get rid of them

May 16, 2015, 3:41 PM

What kind of snakes were they? You might be better off to keep the snakes, 'cause they're probably killing all of the mice that are hanging around. (And yes, you have mice somewhere around your house or in your attic).

Any snake in SC with a round pupil

May 16, 2015, 4:25 PM

Is non poisonous. They should not be killed.
All SC poisonous snakes have a cat's eye pupil or slit. Permission to hoe to death close to house.
If it's all black it's probably a black rat snake.
A King snake, nonpoisonous constrictors, kills poisonous snakes. One around the house is golden.
If you were close I would save your snakes.

good post***

May 16, 2015, 4:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly

May 16, 2015, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Any snake in SC with a round pupil ]

the only really common dangerous snake in most of SC is the copperhead - the rest we find in SC are extremely rarely found in folks' yards

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/education/pdf/VenomousSnakesSC.pdf

Wrong on the pupils

May 16, 2015, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Any snake in SC with a round pupil ]

Coral snakes have round pupils

Your facts are facts

May 16, 2015, 6:42 PM

The chances of seeing much less being bit by a coral snake are like me buying a lottery ticket. Still haven't.
They are secretive. Slither away from contact. Underground most of the time. They also kill other poisonous snakes.
Red by yellow will kill a fellow. Just in case.
Very deadly venom. Respiratory failure.

I didn't know SC had coral snakes.

May 16, 2015, 6:56 PM

I thought they were all in the everglades running from pythons and boas.

Re: I didn't know SC had coral snakes.

May 16, 2015, 6:58 PM

yep in abou 50 yrs of working in SC woods, I have seen one coral snake

You should be in Guiness.***

May 16, 2015, 7:06 PM

I saw one once up around the Chatooga when I was a kid

May 16, 2015, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I didn't know SC had coral snakes. ]

camping one weekend and was moving rocks around searching for bait. Thing got away from me as quickly as it could. I went back to camp too. That was back in the 70's

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: I saw one once up around the Chatooga when I was a kid

May 16, 2015, 7:43 PM

doubt that was coral as that is not in their range

38 years, and I've only seen one myself. Right after Hugo,

May 16, 2015, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I didn't know SC had coral snakes. ]

It was unearthed by a bulldozer. Went back underground very quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I didn't know SC had coral snakes.

May 16, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to I didn't know SC had coral snakes. ]

they are rare; Coastal Plain and close to the coast

I guess it depends

May 16, 2015, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Your facts are facts ]

As I spend a lot of time outdoors I see coral snakes quite a bit. In fact I would wager good money I have seen more live coral snakes than rattlesnakes. Last one I saw was when we were replacing old shrubbery at my Grandmother's house. Exposed it when we ripped up some old azaleas.

I've killed 3 corals at my nursery in the last 6-7 years.

May 16, 2015, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Your facts are facts ]

I'm about 15 miles off the coast and a bit south of Charleston.

Re: I've killed 3 corals at my nursery in the last 6-7 years.

May 16, 2015, 10:19 PM

yep.. thats their home turf!

Re: Wrong on the pupils

May 16, 2015, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Wrong on the pupils ]

They are rare

diamond shaped head=venomous (nm)

May 16, 2015, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Any snake in SC with a round pupil ]

t

Re: Any snake in SC with a round pupil

May 17, 2015, 7:38 PM [ in reply to Any snake in SC with a round pupil ]

Dang it. Every time I get close enough to see if it has round pupils, the dang thing bites me. Do snakes not read t-net???

If you've got black snakes, you're in good shape...

May 16, 2015, 4:26 PM

No snake in our neck of the woods wants to mess with a black snake. They also eat all sorts of critters (including other snakes) that you REALLY don't want around.

If you really want them gone, figure out what in your yard is so yummy to them. You might decide they're a whole lot better than the alternative.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you've got black snakes, you're in good shape...

May 16, 2015, 4:54 PM

I would rather have the black snake, than to wonder if a ### mouse or rat had been walking across my dishes or silverware. Rats and mice are the nastiest sumbitches on earth as far I'm concerned!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, you haven't met LBU's sister?***

May 16, 2015, 4:58 PM

Kill them

May 16, 2015, 4:59 PM

get a mongoose

Or a cat..... A feral cat

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Kill them

May 17, 2015, 8:06 PM

My Rottweiler would kill all of the above as quick as he gets his mouth on them. He is so jealous and protective over me and the wife, he will attack and kill anything that comes through our fence gates if we don't put him on a leash and keep our eyes on him. He will kill our black snake also if he ever catches it out from under my house, and I'm serious!!!

May 16, 2015, 5:06 PM

A. Spent cat litter ( cheap way)

B. ammonium nitrate solution. (Scientific way)...but if you do take this route take extreme caution, highly explosive.

-The only difference is A. Is un- ionized. B. Is ionized. -

Long story short it will fry/ confuse/ burn there sensory preceptors. Like it does to our eyes/ nose / etc...

And will avoid

May 16, 2015, 5:07 PM

All areas where A. Or B. Is applied...

This works pretty good for me...............

May 16, 2015, 5:33 PM

#Mossberg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This works pretty good for me...............

May 16, 2015, 10:04 PM

Heat shield not required for snakes. Amirite?

May 16, 2015, 5:41 PM

I agree with DP, if it's not poisonous leave them be because they get rid of frogs, toads, mice and rats. The rule around my house is if it's solid black or green or with any kind of stripe running the length of it's body let them be. They are our friend.

Venomous snakes are pit vipers and have a distinctly triangular head. But most are timid. Even rattlesnakes will run away unless your standing right on top of them. The only one's I worry about are copperheads. They'll slither right up to you and call your sister a wh@re and dare you to do anything about it. They are mean, aggressive and won't back down. One meaningful session of Hoe therapy is my suggestion for any copperhead you encounter.

Go Tigers..

May 16, 2015, 5:45 PM

have to disagree, copperheads are the least agressive snakes, have even had them crawl across my boots, now cottonmouths are a different story and rattlers will do all they can to avoid you, even rattling to warn you

May 16, 2015, 5:58 PM

> have to disagree, copperheads are the least agressive
> snakes, have even had them crawl across my boots, now
> cottonmouths are a different story and rattlers will
> do all they can to avoid you, even rattling to warn
> you

Ummm....thats sort of my point, timid snakes won't go anywhere near your boots.

:)

May 16, 2015, 6:00 PM

agressive and crawling across boot is totally diferent, agressive is showing anger while doing it

Maybe it was an angry slither.***

May 18, 2015, 1:15 PM

GO TIGERS!!

May 17, 2015, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Re: How to get rid of snakes? ]

Water moccasins are extremely aggressive

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Get off the plane?***

May 16, 2015, 5:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 16, 2015, 5:59 PM

Moth balls

get a dog or a cat***

May 16, 2015, 6:10 PM

May 16, 2015, 7:08 PM

Go to Lowes or Hope Depot and buy you a bag of snake repellent containing sulfur in it.....snakes will leave & not come back....Go Tigers!!!!

just buy mothballs for 10% of the cost. Same thing.***

May 16, 2015, 7:42 PM

May 18, 2015, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Re: How to get rid of snakes? ]

No such thing as a "snake repellant" even though these products are marketed as such. "Snake repellants" are nothing more than rodenticides (moth balls) with ridiculous price tags. Sure they "repel" snakes, because the snakes' food source is eliminated.

Lime

May 16, 2015, 7:10 PM

apply Pelletized or Powder Lime around your property, snakes will not cross over it
Mothballs around and under your home

Vote them out of office.***

May 16, 2015, 9:02 PM

Re: Vote them out of office.***

May 18, 2015, 10:43 AM
200_s.gif(50.4 K)

My neighbors and I have dealt with them for years here

May 16, 2015, 9:05 PM

on Lake Murray.............Guns are our answer, and they work quite well. lol

Re: My neighbors and I have dealt with them for years here

May 17, 2015, 4:02 PM

Brown water snakes... harmless. I'm sure your neighbor thinks he's killing water mocs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let em live, if at all possible.***

May 16, 2015, 9:24 PM

no, no... hartins says gun 'em. what i <3 is the man showed

May 16, 2015, 9:32 PM

up at the tigernet with a snake problem and left with a rodent infestation or worse...

;)

lol, I just TU'd hartins post. I'm sending mixed signals***

May 16, 2015, 9:38 PM

.... To be clear, I don't even kill the poisonous ones. They

May 16, 2015, 9:40 PM

Have enough problems without having to worry about me hitting them with a hoe.

alcohol & drugs?

May 16, 2015, 9:44 PM

maybe i should hang out with a few more snakes?

Re: .... To be clear, I don't even kill the poisonous ones. They

May 16, 2015, 10:08 PM [ in reply to .... To be clear, I don't even kill the poisonous ones. They ]

Why bring you girlfriend into the conversation?

The only ones I kill

May 17, 2015, 3:53 PM [ in reply to .... To be clear, I don't even kill the poisonous ones. They ]

are the poisonous ones that I find in my yard. If I encounter them in the woods I give them space.

Re: lol, I just TU'd hartins post. I'm sending mixed signals***

May 16, 2015, 9:41 PM [ in reply to lol, I just TU'd hartins post. I'm sending mixed signals*** ]

well, wait 'till hartins breaks out the fire water then goes full elmer fudd 'em.

Thanks everyone for the replies

May 17, 2015, 1:33 AM

Really helps me out. I have learned alot just from making this post. I see some on here are a little upset that im killing black snakes as they are helpful for getting rid of rodents, i apologize for my lack of knowledge but i know from now on what kind of snakes to kill and not to kill. I was just mainly worried about them biting one of the kids. I will probably go and buy moth balls tomorrow, thanks for the help again. Go tigers.

Re: Thanks everyone for the replies

May 17, 2015, 8:45 AM

I think you're on top of a snake nest.

Blow up your house to prevent them from spreading and killing all the world.

May 17, 2015, 9:00 AM

Park a small airplane in your backyard. I hear snakes love planes.

May 17, 2015, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Thanks everyone for the replies ]

People that shoot things without knowing what it is are complete idiots.

They mostly come at night, mostly.

May 17, 2015, 4:49 PM

Ask them to leave? If diplomacy doesn't work then serve eviction papers and let the courts figure it out.

Land mines work but it's not to subtle.

May 17, 2015, 7:45 PM

Sadly my wife is terrified of ANY snake, so black snakes must go. I just use a hoe though, and have only had to kill one this year, but my neighbor killed another one next to my yard. There are lots of woods close to my house, so not sure how to prevent snakes, rodents, spiders, chipmunks, etc. from enjoying our company.

And those dang carpenter bees are trying to destroy my house. I built a bee trap and it's working, but not fast enough. The tennis racquet keeps me in practice and seems to be the best weapon of choice. I wish the snakes could eat those bees.

May 18, 2015, 10:22 AM

My barn is going to fall in because of those dang carpenter bees. I went to the, Do it yourself place spent 89 dollars and they laughed at the crap they sold me.

Lorena Bobbit?***

May 17, 2015, 9:38 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Man's got a serious snake problem and this is your response?

May 17, 2015, 9:46 PM

;)

well... just in case newb tries to borrow someone's snake

May 17, 2015, 10:03 PM

and join the party...

better to be prepared to deal with that

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: well... just in case newb tries to borrow someone's snake

May 18, 2015, 10:23 AM

cute

May 18, 2015, 1:30 AM

Fire Leggett.

May 18, 2015, 10:19 AM

I'd MOVE

I see you're in the low country, so if they're black/dark

May 18, 2015, 10:34 AM

snakes and you're near water be careful they aren't cotton mouths. Cotton mouths, like most snakes, prefer to get away first and not confront you, but if cornered they will face you and open their mouth to try and scare you off.

Most any snake will prefer to not bother you, the only reason there are so many copper head bites is because their defense mechanism is to freeze so they get stepped on by us not seeing them and then they bite.

Since you're near the coast you may also encounter the eastern diamond back, although it's quite rare. There are few bites from this one cause of scarcity and it warns you away with a rattle, but it is one of the most venomous snakes and largest rattlesnake in the states.

I've read most of the responses and there's a lot of good advice in this thread. I personally will not kill a snake unless I find it inside my house/garage, because they eat a lot of bad critters and are not aggresive towards humans (at least the ones we have here). In SC we only have 6 venomous snakes to deal with, but I don't think the Pygmy rattle snake is in the low country, so that's only 5 for you.

Online image searching is always good to find out what type of snakes you're dealing with near your house. If it's not a copper head, more likely than not it's not venomous.

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Pretty much the only poisonous snakes in the Upstate are

May 18, 2015, 10:42 AM

copperheads and timber rattlesnakes. Maybe a stray cottonmouth or coral snake but you're unlikely to encounter one.

Copperheads can be dangerous to young children, but rarely a serious issue for healthy adults. I've talked to one guy who was bitten on the lower leg by a copperhead and he was only given antibiotics.

Rattlesnakes are a horse of a different color; and with coral snakes, remember red then black, friend of Jack.

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Venomous, bob, not poisonous.

May 18, 2015, 10:46 AM

Also, Pygmy rattlesnakes are in the upstate as well, but not as much of a threat.

I've never seen a coral snake in all my time growing up playing in the woods and hiking the state park trails. Good many copper heads, one or two timber rattlers, some cotton mouths when I've traveled down into the lower part of the state, but never a coral, diamond back, or pygmy.

Went hiking at Jones Gap yesterday and actually saw 3 snakes, 2 garter and the other was possibly either a king or queen snake based off of googling after the fact.

You are correct about Pygmy rattlesnakes, which are the

May 18, 2015, 10:53 AM

snake version of midgets?

Here's a helpful PDF. Please print out and distribute. TIA in advance.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/education/pdf/VenomousSnakesSC.pdf

Thanks for the helpful PDF, bob.

May 18, 2015, 10:58 AM

I have printed out many copies and will distribute to mine customers

it's about time some juan broked out the colored glossies...***

May 18, 2015, 10:59 AM [ in reply to You are correct about Pygmy rattlesnakes, which are the ]

helpful as always, bob.

Re: Pretty much the only poisonous snakes in the Upstate are

May 18, 2015, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Pretty much the only poisonous snakes in the Upstate are ]

No cottonmouths in the upstate

Go east on bob, it's Monday

May 18, 2015, 10:59 AM

maybe his googler wasn't fully awake yet

Re: Go east on bob, it's Monday

May 18, 2015, 11:00 AM

so manifests destinies on bob the other 6 days?

Well obviously, otherwise you'd be taking the scenic

May 18, 2015, 11:07 AM

underwater route to Spain

Ain't no juan gots time fo dat

I think that's what I said, unless my writing

May 18, 2015, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty much the only poisonous snakes in the Upstate are ]

comprehension is all twerked up?

Bob, please

May 18, 2015, 11:08 AM

no twerking.

Ever.

TIA

Unless videos of daughter of bob twerking

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

Re: I think that's what I said, unless my writing

May 18, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to I think that's what I said, unless my writing ]

"No cottonmouths in the upstate" =/=, != "maybe a stray"...

i know your type; you and your wily ways... strays were newb's territory.

may she rip

Re: How to get rid of snakes?***

May 18, 2015, 10:42 AM

Put BBQ sauce on their tails!

May 18, 2015, 1:00 PM

TIGER BALLS.

May 18, 2015, 1:23 PM

1) Get rid of the food source. There are probably rodents around.

2) Until you can do #1, DO NOT kill the non venomous snakes (Black Rat Snakes, Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes etc)Depending on where you live,(assuming Upstate SC) Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes are the only 2 venomous species you need worry about. When you kill non venomous snakes, the venomous snakes will move in on the food source that is left behind. I'd rather have my child step on a Black Rat Snake than a Copperhead. When there are non venomous species in an area, the dangerous venomous species will stay away.

3) DO NOT waste your money on expensive gimmick products like "Snake Away." There is no such thing as a "snake repellant." What these products do is kill the food source (#1)...not the snakes.

I hope this helps.

Like this.

May 18, 2015, 6:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Fire Spurlock!!!***

May 18, 2015, 7:25 PM

Don't kill them, catch them.

May 18, 2015, 8:12 PM

If they're poisonous, keep them until September. Then release them at the intersection of Bluff Road and George Rogers Blvd.

This is a public service announcement, no thanks necessary.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Any rattlers? I need a new pair of boots..

May 18, 2015, 10:57 PM

-DNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 119
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic