Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How many wins does (debate)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

How many wins does (debate)

Aug 26, 2014, 5:21 PM

Having a friendly debate with a coot friend. (One of the few good Coots)

He thinks since Spurrier now has SC at an "elite" level that Coot U will be able to hire just about any big name coach once the sack retires.

And they may be able to hire a big name, Idk.

My position is Spurrier is a ONCE IN A LIFETIME type coach, I feel the Coots won the lottery with him. Like him or hate him, the guy is a great coach.

I look back over the last several years and can point to two or three wins per year SIMPLY because of Steve Spurrier. There aren't very many other coaches that I see doing that.

My question is, what are yalls opinion on Coot wins over the last few years? Are there any that you attribute to Spurrier and is there another big name coach that you can see keeping Sc at that same level?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh....they can't

Aug 26, 2014, 5:33 PM

more storied than Southern Cal and Texas?? does this person know who turned those 2 schools down? was this a trick question????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Soft schedule

Aug 26, 2014, 5:33 PM

The past few years has helped a lot. The fact that UF and UT became shells of their former selves really helped him a lot. Scar's best < Florida/Tenn/UGAs best. So unless those schools continue to struggle (which I don't foresee), and the ##### grab a good coach, we'll go back to normal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soft schedule

Aug 26, 2014, 7:31 PM

UF will be back eventually. UGA has been pretty good and probably are what they are. UT will improve but I don't think they will ever be the UT of old on a yearly basis. The landscape has shifted in a way that isn't good for UT.

Follow up question for your friend...

Aug 26, 2014, 5:37 PM

How can a program be at an elite level with no conference titles or any bowls wins better than the Capital One Bowl?

Real talk.

How?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

OWNED

Aug 26, 2014, 5:39 PM

They do have some "11 win season" rings though.

Re: Follow up question for your friend...

Aug 26, 2014, 6:20 PM [ in reply to Follow up question for your friend... ]

I agree with you. That is why I have elite written like this, "elite."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How many wins does (debate)

Aug 26, 2014, 6:31 PM

We (the Gamecocks) don't pass the eye ball test, nor the hardware test as an elite team. Winning 11 games a year is great, as far as Gamecock Football goes. Comparatively, we are lightyears ahead of where we have been in the past. But until championships, whether it be conference or national, or the Gamecocks become evidently dominant on a regular basis, they can't and won't be considered "elite". Very few teams have that title. You have to have the coaching, the players, the facilities, and the hardware to have that title. Not all of those things, but at least a few of them. Spurrier is the reason SC has become what it is. No doubt about it. He brought better assistants, better players, better facilities, and a better attitude towards winning.

Slurrier polished their knobs, but they're still nasty c0cks***

Aug 26, 2014, 8:29 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hack on 107.5 in Cootlumbia was talking to Ellis

Aug 26, 2014, 6:44 PM

Johnson this morning. He was dumb enough to ask him what he thought was going to be a rhetorical question...

I should actually paraphrase but this is close enough,

"Do you think that South Carolina will be recognized as one of the elite schools if they have another successful year, or how long do you think it will take before we are recognized as an elite program?"

Response: "Some places are never going to recognize them as an elite program... ever, they are just not thought of in that respect by some places in the country!"

LMAO

We hired Steve Spurrier

Aug 26, 2014, 6:52 PM

When we were 5-7,5-7 then 6-6.

Could we steal Jimbo or Charlie Strong? No

But you're just being unreasonable to think we will have to beg someone to come here.

Hopefully we will promote Whammy whenever Spurrier calls it quits.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: We hired Steve Spurrier

Aug 26, 2014, 7:06 PM

I don't think I said nor implied y'all would have to beg someone to go there.

Well in that case whammy would

Aug 26, 2014, 7:08 PM

Keep us at the same level. That man can coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well in that case whammy would

Aug 26, 2014, 7:54 PM

If we promote, I hope it's Whammy.

Re: Well in that case whammy would

Aug 26, 2014, 8:03 PM

Who is whammy? Serious question I don't follow your nicknames for coaches.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Ward our DC***

Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 PM

Re: Coach Ward our DC***

Aug 26, 2014, 8:09 PM

Ok, thanks. I guess this year will be a big test for him. Lost a lot of talent.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina will never promote him to head coach.***

Aug 26, 2014, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Well in that case whammy would ]

If Scar were smart, they would hire...

Aug 26, 2014, 9:06 PM

Michigan State's coach Mark D. Former player that is an amazing coach. But would he leave a program he pretty much built from scratch and brought to national power? Would that be considered a lateral move in his mind?

Bobby Petrino will be available in 2 or 3 yrs after the UofL AD realizes Bobby's been hooking up w/ the volleyball team. So... y'all will have options.

~JKB

Re: We hired Steve Spurrier

Aug 26, 2014, 7:08 PM [ in reply to We hired Steve Spurrier ]

My question is, what are yalls opinion on Coot wins over the last few years? Are there any that you attribute to Spurrier and is there another big name coach that you can see keeping Sc at that same level?

Keep in mind that Spurrier is an extra special coach. Probably one of the best ever. Who do you see that is at his level or close to his level that y'all could get?

I really don't think it matters how many games they win.

Aug 26, 2014, 7:12 PM

A top coach isn't going there. Young coaches might go there to have a D1 job and prove their worth. They might hire another coach of good caliber but he'll be looking for retirement when he hires on.

I honestly think the SEC won't be as asset when it comes to finding a top shelf coach who isn't just trying to get away from football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who do you consider a top coach?

Aug 26, 2014, 7:14 PM

Curious. It's easy to speak in generalities.

Aug 26, 2014, 7:27 PM

All good questions. I feel like the next hire will be a defining moment. I think with our brand having improved, the SEC brand being what it is, our facility improvements, and consistent top 20 recruiting we could go out and get at least a big name coordinator if not a head coach. However, if we are still very consistent when Spurrier retires I think Tanner may have some desire to keep continuity by promoting. That's a question mark to me. I would rather get someone who is a recruiting name in their own right. Not sure I think we have anyone on staff ready to be the head guy without getting some head coaching experience first. I know Mangus has some but don't think he is the guy. That little urination incident hurts him. I do think Tanner will try and go big if he goes outside and I think we will put together a big financial package. It's an important hire. We can't afford to slip off for a couple of years right when Spurrier goes.

Agreed the next hire must work

Aug 26, 2014, 7:36 PM

Or it's going to be a long road back to this level.

Aug 26, 2014, 8:03 PM

They have been able to hire two big name coaches in a row. The sec network will only enable them the funding to do so again.
Big names do not always equal big wins though so I wouldn't worry about it. We just need to worry about late November and beating them.
We all know ray tanner is a smart guy so if he is making the hire with a lot of resources at his disposal, i would gives it's not going to be the return of Sparky Woods.

Aug 26, 2014, 8:04 PM

I would think* (not gives ). Autocorrect fail

If Tommy Bowden could have kept it together

Aug 26, 2014, 8:31 PM

and had a great year in 2008 Spurrier would have never turn it around at USC. He would still be winning 6-8 games a yaer like his first four years.

I truly believe without the 2008 year at Clemson Spurrier doesn't get the top flight talent he got to take the program from 7 wins to 11 wins. It's all about players if you don't have them, you don't win.

I also believe you will see the gamecocks drop back to 8 or 9 wins this year. I think the loss of Brad Lawing and Ellis Johnson will show up this year. They do not have the talent or the dept on the DL that they had under those two. They have tried to back fill with JUCO players and a high % hasn't gotten in school and they're sending their top DL recruit to Camden Military School this fall.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic