»
Topic: How is NCSU's loss different from UNC's loss?
Replies: 6   Last Post: May 25, 2018 11:41 AM by: henry®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 6  

How is NCSU's loss different from UNC's loss?

Posted: May 25, 2018 9:56 AM

UNC loses on Wednesday, and cannot advance no matter what the outcome is of their 2nd game today.

NC State loses Yesterday, and can still advance to the next round if they win their game today.

what gives?

2018 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Best Is The Standard

EDIT: i found the explanation :

Posted: May 25, 2018 9:59 AM

Pitt had previously beaten Georgia Tech on Tuesday, and UNC needed to beat Pitt in order to advance to the semifinal game.

Had the Tar Heels won, they would have advanced whether they won or lost on Friday, because of a tie breaker. The team with the best record advances from each pool. In the case of a tie, the team with the highest seed advances.

Best Is The Standard

Re: EDIT: i found the explanation :

Posted: May 25, 2018 10:06 AM

Are you sure "the highest seed" has anything to do with breaking a tie?

I thought if two teams in a 3-team pool were tied after everyone had played everyone else, it was simply the winner of the head-to-head match-up who moved on.

Could be wrong. The whole "pool play" format gives me a headache.

2018 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

honestly have no idea lol. I c&p that from the Raleigh news***

Posted: May 25, 2018 10:09 AM

Best Is The Standard

Re: EDIT: i found the explanation :

[1]
Posted: May 25, 2018 10:18 AM

If 2 teams are 1-1 then the 3rd team must be 1-1 also therefore it’s a 3 way tie.
There’s no possible way to have 2 teams go 1-1 and 1 team go 0-2.

It’s either a 3 way tie which goes to the higher seed or there’s just a 2-0 outright winner.

It’s very simple to understand. Not calling you dumb but some what I mean is once you get how it works it’s easy to do the math quicker and figure out what games matter etc...

Re: How is NCSU's loss different from UNC's loss?

Posted: May 25, 2018 10:26 AM

In each pool the lower seeds played first. The loser is eliminated. The winner played the high seed to decide who wins the pool.

The first games played by the high seeds (unc,clemson,ncst,Duke) are always vs the lower seeds in your pool.
Unc vs Pitt 12
Clemson vs ND 11
Ncst vs Uva 10
Duke vs WF 9

Notre Dame, uva and wf all lost their first games. That means clemson, ncst, and dukes first games vs them were meaningless. The only reason unc played the game that mattered before everybody else is because Pitt upset GT. If GT beat Pitt then unc would be playing their game that matters today vs GT

the S***

Posted: May 25, 2018 11:41 AM

2018 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Replies: 6  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: NC State
FOR SALE: I have 2 Tickets and Parking Pass for sale. Pick up or over night only. Lot 25 Parking and Tickets a...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
1404 people have read this post