Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How hyped up are you about our punting game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

How hyped up are you about our punting game?

Aug 21, 2018, 8:49 AM

Suggested topic for tigernet story:
Been a lot of talk and excitement at every position coming out of camp. Where do tigers stand at punter? Been no mention of Spiers who has been abysmal. Can we expect 2018 to be more of the same? Doesn't appear anyone is recognizing how bad this position is for us going into the season.. but all that falls on Dabo. Going to cost us a game at some point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How hyped up are you about our punting game?

Aug 21, 2018, 8:58 AM

I mentioned in a post last week that the punting that I saw in the Saturday scrimmage was not very impressive.

Football is a game of field position and I hope we can develop a super punter..... or score every time we have the ball!

Field position matters more for some teams than others.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:09 AM

I think last year we wanted to play a field position style with the great defense, slower tempo on offense, and increased emphasis on running the ball. I think the poor punting and poor kickoff returns both hurt us quite a bit last year because that was a team that really needed to generate good field position to score. Our offense wasn't nearly explosive enough to score consistently without it.

But we've also had some offenses like 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016 where the field position didn't matter as much because we could score on big plays. I think that was particularly true of the Boyd + Watkins (and Nuk and Ellington in 2012) era.

Our best weapon in the field position game last year (besides the defense obviously) was RRM's punt returns. He was very good at that last year. Hopefully somebody steps up and gives us a decent threat in that department again this year.

The punting still needs to improve though - it was abysmal last year. We finished 122nd out of about 130 FBS teams in punting success rate.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-clemson-advanced-statistical-profile

if you like wounded duck style 27 yd punts then your happy

Aug 21, 2018, 9:09 AM

Going off of last year and the orange and white game... we will suk again at punting and flipping the field unless someone else takes over. making a mistake here and there i don't have a problem with. But if you punt the ball 6 times and only hit one decent one and the other five are ducks then theres either a problem with skill level or technique or nerves. One of those is correctable. And its been a year and a half. so you tell me what to expect.

Re: if you like wounded duck style 27 yd punts then your happy

Aug 21, 2018, 9:21 AM

I agree completely. Tigernet needs to start asking the coaches what they've done to address the poor punting game.. course I think we know the coaches would just dance around an answer. It's coaching negligence we have big holes in special teams EVERY year.

Not going to punt in 2018.***

Aug 21, 2018, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whats that?***

Aug 21, 2018, 9:39 AM

I say we don't punt - EVER***

Aug 21, 2018, 9:45 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic