Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does VT's defense compare to what we've seen so far?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

How does VT's defense compare to what we've seen so far?

Sep 25, 2017, 7:26 PM

What are their strengths/weaknesses? I know they haven't played a tough schedule, but I haven't watched them play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn's defense was much better

Sep 25, 2017, 7:43 PM

Statistically, they're the second best defense we've seen thus far (but it's been against some weak competition except for WVU in their opener).

Total Defense: #28
Rushing Defense: #27
Passing Defense: #47

So, they are weaker against the pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Re: How does VT's defense compare to what we've seen so far?

Sep 25, 2017, 7:48 PM

My assessment is Virginia Tech is a very similar team to Auburn . If we play like we did against Boston College we will lose, if we play like we did against Louisville we will beat them by three touchdowns

VTs Defense Is Not in The Same Universe as Auburn's***

Sep 25, 2017, 7:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VTs Defense Is Not in The Same Universe as Auburn's***

Sep 25, 2017, 8:17 PM

lol, i'm afraid it is. Auburn's defense is better, but Virginia Tech's is still good. Virginia Tech's offense is better than auburns offense , so I feel this balances and the teams are similar in quality.

Sep 26, 2017, 7:17 AM

Lol, I'm afraid it isn't.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2017, 6:58 AM [ in reply to VTs Defense Is Not in The Same Universe as Auburn's*** ]

While I most definitely agree with you, what amazes me is that VT has Bud Foster as their DC, and AU has Kevin Steele as their DC. Bud Foster is one of the best DC's I've ever witnessed in college, while Kevin Steele - well - 'nuff said.

VA Tech is not similar to Auburn

Sep 25, 2017, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: How does VT's defense compare to what we've seen so far? ]

Auburn has a much better defense than VA Tech. Auburn's QB (Stidham) is not mobile at all. Virginia Tech has a legitimate dual threat QB, Josh Jackson, who got over 100 yards rushing against WVU. He's not as talented as Lamar Jackson, but he's the most mobile QB we've seen other than Lamar Jackson. He's also thrown 11 TDs and only 1 INT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Sep 25, 2017, 8:01 PM

They will play like our D does
They will blitz and have strong line play.
Also the Hokies have lock down corners but overall their depth is not good.
VTs D will be just as good as Auburns

Sep 26, 2017, 1:13 AM

VT Fan. Starting Defense is very good, it's mostly the same players you faced last year in the ACCCG with the exception of a new rover. Biggest concern is just the depth along the DL, starting DL is good but the backups are serviceable at best. Our best pass rusher suffered a groin injury against ODU and might be limited. We also just lost a starting FS for the year, and one of our corners has been suspended for a while so there's some reshuffling in the secondary. 3-5 players likely drafted from this group in 2018 mostly in the secondary

But it's a Bud Foster defense so you will know what will happen. Bud will stack the box and try stop the run leaving corners on islands, he will blitz a lot and drop DEs into coverage to confuse the QB

DL starters will likely be gassed by the second half if Clemson is able to sustain drives and should put the game away.

Sep 26, 2017, 7:04 AM

Hey VT fan, thanks for the VT info. Since this is a Defense thread, can you start a thread about the OFFENSE and give a similar analysis?

TIA

Sep 26, 2017, 7:13 AM

Auburn's defense is loaded with 4-5 start talent, especially along the DL. VT's does not. Clemson went into Louisville and shutdown the Heisman winner at his place, and managed to put up 47 points against a Louisville defense that hadn't been tested. VT played against WV in their first game, gave up almost 600 yards on defense and still won, then they played 3 cupcakes who if you put them all on one team, still would have a hard time beating a good high school team. BV has faced better quarterbacks than Josh Jackson, better offenses than VT's and have come away victorious. One of their fans said they like Fuentes/Foster on GAMEDAY over Dabo. Really? Better than Dabo/Venables? Clemson has won 42 of their last 45 and Fuentes/Foster is better on GAMEDAY. LOL Ok. The BC game will serve as a wake up call to the offense and Clemson will win. Again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic