Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How Chad Kelly and Ole Miss cost Clemson a National Title
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

How Chad Kelly and Ole Miss cost Clemson a National Title

Jul 9, 2020, 11:25 AM

I was listening to a podcast this week about the crazy 2015 Ole Miss-Arkansas game that featured this miraculous play to keep Arkansas's hopes alive in OT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vefcy6LY

And I realized, this game, and this play in particular, likely cost Clemson a National Title that year. Hear me out:

- Ole Miss was leading the SEC West at this point and had actually beaten Bama head-to-head so they owned the tie-breaker.

- This loss to Arkansas was their 2nd (and last) SEC loss that season (they'd actually lost to Memphis as well--LOL!) SO they would've won out and ended up playing UF in the SEC Championship that year instead of Alabama.

- Bama would've been an 11-1 non-conference, non-divisional winner going into the final CFB Playoff Rankings and not the 12-1 SEC Champs.

- That would've put them back in the pack with 12-1 Iowa (#5 and loser of the Big-10 Title Game), 11-2 Stanford (#6 and winner of the Pac-12 title game and had just beaten #8 ND), and 11-1 OSU (#7 and, like Bama, winner of neither their division or conference).

- Now of course it's very possible (even likely) that Bama would've still snuck in at #4 because we've seen them do it since then with virtually the same resume but it's very possible that any of the conference title winners would've been put in and I'm confident that Clemson team would've beaten anyone else that year!

Could've had back-to-back Tiger Natties in 2015 and 2016!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's much more simple than that...

Jul 9, 2020, 11:40 AM

Could have had them if we could cover a TE on a seam route and not bite to the line of scrimmage....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or not given up a KR TD, or recovered the onsides kick...

Jul 9, 2020, 11:45 AM

A lot of mistakes in that one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

mistakes or learning experiences? forgot about the KR for a

Jul 9, 2020, 12:16 PM

TD. Took a lot of momentum away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a couple of trick plays, an on-side kick and Alex. McKenzie

Jul 9, 2020, 11:41 AM

NOT going out would have helped too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having Mike Williams wouldn't have hurt either***

Jul 9, 2020, 12:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Clemson was the better team and should have won anyway***

Jul 9, 2020, 11:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When little Nicky was asked

Jul 9, 2020, 12:07 PM

why risk an on-side kick, he said because we were bout to lose the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

^ Exactly...

Jul 9, 2020, 12:28 PM

Clemson was wearing them out, and nickie knew it.

Same thing 2 years later but he had no way to stop TL16 & Team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Chad Kelly and Ole Miss cost Clemson a National Title

Jul 9, 2020, 12:52 PM

Kelly has shown to be an epic bozo. Clemson would have been better off without him. I wish everyone would just forget he was ever there. The same way I feel about Jimbo

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How Chad Kelly and Ole Miss cost Clemson a National Title

Jul 9, 2020, 2:02 PM

The 2015 squad is my favorite of the recent era. This was a very painful loss. More so the way in which it was lost. Incredible talent that year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic