Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle

Mar 22, 2019, 11:38 PM
Homer.jpg(231.7 K)
Perry.jpg(315.7 K)

Does anyone know what these two are doing now?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle

Mar 22, 2019, 11:45 PM

BTW, in case people don't remember (or, more likely, are deceased), nose tackle William Perry, according to Sports Illustrated, "just plain humiliated" Outland Trophy winner Dave Rimington, who would go on to be drafted #25 in the 1st round in the NFL.

For those who know The Refrigerator "in name only," I cannot over-emphasize what an out-sized, gentle giant this man was. He could dunk, "one-handed, two-handed, any way you want it," and did so with a football in the Orange Bowl (pre-recorded). Perry was, I believe, shorter than his listed height - his real height - and I walked past him three days a week on the way to class - was more like 6'1". I know he has fallen on hard times of late, but he is one of Clemson's true legends, and I wish there was more attention paid to him here. He was the *nicest* person (I didn't know him, but word gets around campus).

Anyway, I'd love to hear what Homer Jordan and Perry Tuttle are up to these days.

I have spoken to Perry a few times since the 2016 NC.

Mar 23, 2019, 12:08 PM

In 1983 or 1984, I can't remember the exact year, the 1981 Clemson orange pants went on sale to the public. Fred Hoover's son Bryan, who was a friend of mine, let me in before the crowd arrived. I immediately went looking to Perry Tuttle's pants. They told me where to look for the player number. Well, I bought Perry's pants $20. I was as student at Clemson at the time, and had attended the !981 game. So, I had my ticket stub, my game program, and the SI with Perry on the cover.

For decades I kept planning to mount all of those items along with Perry's orange pants. My wife is an Auburn grad and former Auburn volleyball player. So, in the summer of 2016 I put together an homage to "War Eagle" mounting several large photos of the eagle soaring around Jordon Hare Stadium. So, after I gave her the gift, she told me I needed to finally have Perry's pants and other 1981 game items framed.

Well, some divine intervention was on the way. I was on Tigernet a couple of days later, and read the story about Perry beginning to lose his sight. The story had a video link to a speech he made in Greenville where he listed several things he would like to see before he lost his sight. One was seeing his son catch a pass in a Clemson game, another was being able to see his daughter sing on stage. Well, after Perry's speech, the folks in Greenville told Perry he would see his daughter sing on stage today. They had everything already set up to Perry's surprise, and he saw his daughter sing. Well, with tears in my eyes and turned to my wife and said I am giving Perry his pants back!

I didn't have Perry's number, so it didn't happen immediately. I watched his son catch a pass during the 2016 season, another wish he had mentioned in his speech. I went to the CFP in Tampa, and walked up to the gate with Jon Sekata and Brett Dalton. I asked them if Perry was at the game, and they said yes, but I was not able to meet with him.

Fast forward a few weeks to the AFC/NFC championship game weekend in January 2017. I am on Tigernet again, and I see where Perry was planned to speak between the two games at Lexington Baptist Church, which is about 2 miles from my home. Again, more divine intervention. I told my wife, I'm taking him the pants.

When I got to the Church, the room was huge and several hundred people eventually arrived. I had the pants in a bag, not really sure what Perry's reaction would be. I had several work friends there who were also Clemson grads and had known I had Perry's pants for decades. Eventually, the organizer said Perry had arrived. I asked him if we could be off to the side, not trying to make a big show. I just wanted a one on one to see if Perry wanted the pants. Perry and I were at a table off to the side, and I told him the story and showed him the pants. He was very happy to have them, and we shared a hug. I told him the Good Lord made sure this pants would make it back to him.

I received a gracious text message from Perry early the next morning. Brett Dalton and I became friends in 2015-2016 dealing with a road agreement at Clemson. I told Brett that I had given the pants back to Perry, and Brett told me that Perry didn't have his 1981 jersey until the night on the 2017 CFP victory over Alabama. He was given his jersey that night. So, within less than 3 weeks, on two different paths, Perry Tuttle had his full 1981 uniform returned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have spoken to Perry a few times since the 2016 NC.

Mar 23, 2019, 3:03 PM

Awesome story about William Perry. I was a student during the 1981 season. I have nothing bad to say about William. He was a gentle giant, very personable, and was always a gentleman around the girls. I loved to watch him chase down a Quarterback in the backfield. He is one of my all time favorite players.

Thanks, but it was WR Perry Tuttle.***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks, but it was WR Perry Tuttle.***

Mar 23, 2019, 7:58 PM

Dad gum
I read it too fast!
Perry Tuttle was a great guy and football player too. Thanks for sharing your story. I love hearing about our former players.

Re: Thanks, but it was WR Perry Tuttle.***

Mar 24, 2019, 12:02 AM

Don't feel bad - I had to go back-and-forth a couple of times to make sure it was Perry Tuttle and not William Perry. It was a great story!

Mar 23, 2019, 4:13 PM [ in reply to I have spoken to Perry a few times since the 2016 NC. ]

Awesome story!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 24, 2019, 8:06 AM [ in reply to I have spoken to Perry a few times since the 2016 NC. ]

Great story, got a torn Tuttle jersey after a game, equipment guy was randomly giving them to tailgaters as he made his way through-still have it

Perry Tuttle was the Chaplain for the Charlotte Hornets

Mar 23, 2019, 12:23 AM

for several years. His son, Kanyon, was on our 2016 National Championship Team.

At one of the home games that year, Perry was in the Student Center, signing his latest book: "What White People Want to Know About Black People but Are Afraid to Ask".

He has authored a few others also.

Here's a nice read for you:

https://clemson.world/championship-legacy-sons-make-winning-a-family-affair/

Message was edited by: Skeeta56®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Homer Jordan went home to Athens . . .

Mar 23, 2019, 12:43 AM

After his Canadian FB Career and a short stint as a backup QB for the Browns . . . He married his high school sweetheart . . . Coached at his alma mater, Cedar Shoals HS, for 10 -12 years . . . His son, Darius, was Cedar Shoals QB for two seasons.

I think he still lives in Athens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Homer Jordan to Perry Tuttle

Mar 23, 2019, 9:01 AM

PT is doing great. I know him well. Great family, business, mentors others. He has blessed life. And he is still grateful to Clemson and being on that team.

Pretty amazing that the 3 QBs that have led us the national

Mar 23, 2019, 10:21 PM

championships, all played high school football within 70 miles of Gainesville, GA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic