Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Homer Jordan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Homer Jordan

Jul 12, 2017, 9:54 PM

I am an old codger. Memory not what it used to be. Seems to be lack of appreciation for what Homer Jordan did for Clemson football. Very seldom mentioned. To me he was one of Clemson football greats.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!

Jul 12, 2017, 9:59 PM

All we hear now a days is that you have to a great quarterback to win. Well, we won the National Championship in 1981 with a great quarterback, Homer Jordan!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Homer was a good QB. But he didn't carry the team or need

Jul 12, 2017, 10:03 PM

to. IMO, the parallel between Tee Martin winning the title after Peyton Manning left, and Homer winning it after Steve Fuller left are very apt.

The system, scheme and defense were in place and the pieces fell in around him.

And I'm not bashing Homer...he will always be one of my favorites.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Tee Martin won it the year after Manning graduated...

Jul 13, 2017, 12:48 AM

Homer Jordan won it in year two after Fuller graduated. We went 6-5 in 80, so we weren't considered national title contenders coming into the 81 season. Tennessee was considered a national title contender coming into the 98 season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tee Martin won it the year after Manning graduated...

Jul 13, 2017, 8:11 AM

Clemson won it 3 years after Fuller graduated.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Homer Jordan

Jul 12, 2017, 10:05 PM

agree 100%.have never understood why he's been so underappreciated.played his heart out bringing us our first natty.he'll always be special in my book.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 12, 2017, 10:11 PM

Yeah , he was really a great young man and a quiet type leader . You're correct , he did play his heart out and his ### off .
He responded to DF charge to win the NC .

Homer was dehydrated & exhausted in last minute in 81 Natty game

Jul 12, 2017, 10:26 PM

but he ran around in the backfield for 15 secs just to help wind the clock down for our first Natty win.

For you youngins why don't you watch some of that game on You Tube since both teams had great & rising talent.

Oh, remember that Miami was the hottest place in America that day with high of 95* on 1/2/82.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Homer was dehydrated & exhausted in last minute in 81 Natty game

Jul 12, 2017, 10:58 PM

Homer got dehydrated and had to have IV fluids at halftime .

small bit of trivia....

Jul 13, 2017, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Homer was dehydrated & exhausted in last minute in 81 Natty game ]

On that same football field the very next day an NFL playoff game was played between the Dolphins and the Chargers that many consider the best game ever. That was the game Kellen Winslow went off in and had to be helped off the field at the end.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it's 2017

Jul 13, 2017, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Homer Jordan ]

36 years from now tnet will not be posting about watson .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jul 12, 2017, 11:21 PM

He also took a lot of unfair crap from fans. I was introduced to him by a mutual friend, real nice guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2017, 11:56 PM

I also remember his outstanding performance in the Natty. I went back and looked to see if he received any kind of national recognition that year and I could not find anything. But - I couldn't find much national recognition at all except for Coach Ford (Coach of the Year) and Jeff Davis (1st team All American). None of the individual awards went to Tigers.

The Tigs started the year unranked and ended up Nat'l. Champs! Great year - for me, in between college and jobs so one of those times when life is backwards: when you have time, no money - when you have money, no time!

Go Tigers!!1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see it that way....

Jul 13, 2017, 1:02 AM

Keep in mind too, that some fans aren't old enough or weren't alive to remember Homer Jordan. Homer Jordan is always one of the top players mentioned with the 81 team. Little known fact although Jordan was an option QB, he had one of the higher passer ratings in college football ranking at 15 in the nation (John Elway was at 13 with 130.8 rating, while Jordan had a 130.4) for the 81 season and led the ACC in passer rating. Also was number 10 in the nation in pass yards per attempt. And was 3rd in the nation in rushing yards by a QB. So for that era of football Jordan was a highly efficient QB.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic