Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Home improvement project question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Home improvement project question

Aug 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

Live in a house where a garage was converted into a big den with carpet flooring probably 20 years ago. Since then have added built in cabinets and crown molding. Last thing I'm going to do is rip up the stained carpet and add engineered hardwood flooring. I have 2 different hallway openings that have a step that goes to them. Got a good deal on the flooring but had to get a different person to fix the carpet on the steps. It's basically 1 and half steps on both hallways. Guy came back with a quote of 1600 to do hardwood steps and a bullnose finish around step and painting and staining. 1600 seems ridiculous. I can paint and stain so guys gonna get back to me with another quote. Thought materials and labor would be around 600 max. Obviously gonna get more quotes but does that seem way too steep to basically add hardwood to existing step that has plywood under carpet. Should note the 2 sets of steps are not normal width and length. They are 60 by 14. Thanks if anyone has done this before.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New stair treads are really inexpensive. However, you need

Aug 14, 2018, 9:37 PM

a bit of skill to make them look good. I can’t say if $1600 is too much to have a professional do the job, but I could do it myself for less than $100 in materials. I’ve done steps before and learned lots of lessons along the way.

FWIW

Re: New stair treads are really inexpensive. However, you need

Aug 14, 2018, 10:23 PM

...are there doors into the hallway(s) at the top of these steps, with a transition in materials at the threshold(s), landings to accommodate, etc.? What does one-and-a-half steps mean, exactly, and what is the elevation change between floors (uneven risers are against "code", and it may entail reworking the stringers, simple as that may be).... And what materials did he quote? "Hardwood" laminate flooring is not easily, or typically applied to stairs, and the cost of labor and materials in the simplest of construction projects has risen exponentially, even in the last few years. I don't know what he quoted you with his price as a scope of work, but as an architect, I can only advise you to get a few alternate proposals with a clearly defined "scope of work" that you can shop and negotiate, "apples-to-apples". Good luck with your project, and also be sure know the contractor's reputation and quality of work before you hire.

Re: New stair treads are really inexpensive. However, you need

Aug 14, 2018, 10:44 PM

No doors just large openings. The steps would be a sold piece of hardwood. Not the flooring that is going down. Just not the normal size of a regular step. It would basically be 1 step in each hallway and 2 shorter than usual risers each step. Then just framing it all in. Have not gotten a break down of material and labor from the guy.

Re: Home improvement project question

Aug 14, 2018, 9:58 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new saw or two and DIY. Also sounds like a job for February not during fishing/hunting/football season.

Not a big job, but it takes some skill

Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 PM

Anybody good enough to mess with something like that is gonna give you a high number to make it worth their while

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2018, 10:39 PM

Have done flooring for 20 + years I would be around 1200 just to install the hardwood, can’t say one way or another on the steps without looking at them. In my opinion sounds like a reasonable price. Consumers will get better labor prices when they purchase flooring and labor turn key, flooring stores will get professional installation at a discounted rate because of the volume they provide the installer. Hope this helps and good luck.

Aug 14, 2018, 11:36 PM

$1,600 is ridiculous! I have done renovation work in the Low-country for 26 years & that price is high even for this area. I understand that the steps are almost twice as wide as normal & the material cost would be higher due to a non standard tread, but dang. You are correct that the high end for the materials would run $600 max. That includes stain/paint, kick plates, etc. I can't see a decent floor man charging more than $500-$600 labor. If so, I need to be doing more floor work and leave the bathroom renovations to someone else! Haha!
In all honesty though, unless you're going to install newel post, hand rail & pickets. I'd tackle this one yourself. Good luck whichever you decide!

Aug 15, 2018, 12:02 AM

I would lean toward a DYI project, if you get the right tools (buy or rent). My neighbor is helping me redo our kitchen. It takes longer and you always learn how to do it easier once you do it. Plenty of DYI info out their these days. The hardest part is just getting started. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2018, 6:16 AM

It's such a small job that it sounds like you were quoted high because they guy likely didn't want the job for whatever reason. It's not an uncommon thing to quote high if someone thinks the job is more hassle than its worth to them (time to drive there, set up, do the job, then have half a day left not making any additional money unless he could somehow find another small job close by that takes only half a day). I agree with the other post that recommended getting more quotes. Also I am curious if you ever hear back from this guy with the updated information so please post if you do. Good luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2018, 7:48 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words. From a contractors view point this job is a rat killing job. By that I mean; jobs like this one a busy contractor really does not want to get involved. The average person thinks contractors make a killing, this is not the case. When I was in the business (retired now) my loaded labor rate was $100 per hour. Wow he made a killing. Out of this I paid a helper, paid liability and comp insurance on both of us, provided vehicles, auto insurance and tools to perform said task. Bottom line a good contractor is in business to make a profit. Remember you always get what you pay for. Good luck with your project.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your odd sized steps are probably the reason for the

Aug 15, 2018, 6:45 AM

exaggerated quote... Buy your own and either install yourself or get a competent carpenter.

https://www.stairsupplies.com/product/custom-stair-treads/

I didn't check pricing and I'm not quite sure what you need as far as nosing, but this site would seem to be able to fill your custom tread requirements... Can't hurt to get a quote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic