Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
History of Tigernet2 Thetigernet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,781

History of Tigernet2 Thetigernet

Aug 13, 2018, 8:55 PM

So I was trying to remember the history of the site after I saw I've been a member since 1999, so I went to archive.org. The oldest page is 11-12-98 and the top article was the hiring of Brad Scott and I swear I was a member before that happened. My aging memory could be playing tricks on me but I thought I found the site after someone told me about it during the Cuse Gator bowl. (Miserable day, and I'm not talking about the rain)

Of course, I also thought it was switched to thetigernet later than 2000.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: History of Tigernet2 Thetigernet

Aug 13, 2018, 9:35 PM

I wish I had known about it then. I found out about it late 2000’s but didn’t realize I could post comments until after that. Forgot my username and all and had to sign up in 13 or 14.

Congratulations being a member that long.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2018, 10:20 PM

It took you 14 yrs to figure that out

Aug 13, 2018, 10:32 PM

Remember, I’m dumb as a rock. So, yeah.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

September '99 here

Aug 13, 2018, 10:44 PM

And I remember www.tigernet.com being a #### site. We were tigernet2 until the rights were acquired

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: September '99 here

Aug 13, 2018, 10:45 PM

LOL p o r n site

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Aug 14, 2018, 8:19 AM

I remember logging on in Brackett hall and accidentally going to the p o r n site. I also remember some teacher in Daniel raving about this new search engine called Google.

Aug 13, 2018, 11:11 PM [ in reply to September '99 here ]

Yep! Seems like TNet Changed three times from its inception.

Aug 13, 2018, 10:53 PM

There was a transition back at the end of '98 beginning of '99 where the code changed or something and everyone who had an account prior to that time has the same "member since" date. So if you see somebody like me with a start date of Dec 9, 1998 or a day or two before or after, they could have been members for even longer. It might have been getting off Clemson's servers on to their own, but I can't remember... I mean it's been 20 years...

Aug 13, 2018, 10:57 PM

It's weird. the data beside my post said Joined: 12/8/98 but my profile says member since 12/9/98... Is that a bug in the transition code? A glitch in the matrix?

Aug 13, 2018, 10:59 PM

Tigersbkr, yours does to, so I bet your account "transitioned" from the old code as well...

It’s definitely been around since late 1997 or early 1998

Aug 13, 2018, 11:02 PM

I was frequently on TigerNet way back then even though membership was pretty loosely structured.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2018, 8:11 AM

I have been a member since 02/04/2003. I have only posted 306 times but I've looked at it and read just about every day. It is the only Clemson site I belong to and rely on for my Clemson fix.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2018, 9:01 AM

I remember I found out about TigerNet in 2002 after the SCar game. It was the 100th game with SCar, and we’d torn down the goalposts. I was a student and had posted some recordings off the police scanner as they were following the other students who were carrying the goalposts through campus, eventually ending up in the reflection pond in front of the library. I was looking through the web server logs on hubcap.clemson.edu and saw all these referrals from some site called “TigerNet”. I’d sent the links to a few buddies on AIM and IRC—someone posted it here. Hundreds of hits where people were listening to the police scanner audio. I didn’t create an account until later, but that’s how I found it.

I had a handle back in high school (01 or so)

Aug 14, 2018, 9:31 AM

but forgot the password so I made this one. I remember sitting in C++ class surfing TheTigerNet.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,781
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic