Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
His name... is Coach Swinney.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

His name... is Coach Swinney.

Jan 17, 2014, 9:38 AM

Time to get something off my chest.

Clemson fans should be ashamed of themselves if they continually refer to our head football coach as "Dabo." His name is Coach Swinney.

Although "Dabo" is a unique and interesting nickname, it IS just that - a nickname.

We only encourage the media - both locally and nationally - by refering to our head coach as "Dabo." I refuse to do it. The man has EARNED the title "Coach Swinney" with the success he has returned to Clemson. The media and fans never refered to Coach Howard as "Frank", nor wouldn't dare call Coach Ford "Danny". When you were in school, did you ever address ANY of your coaches by their first name? If you are the parent of an athlete, I can bet you don't call even your daughter's tennis coach by his/her first name. Then well in hades do we continue to do this to man who leads our Tigers?

It's high time we started addressing the man, as a man. He's not little "Datboy" from Alabama any more. He's our leader, the face of our program, and our head football COACH. Give him the respect he deserves.

His name is Coach Swinney. That is all.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo, shouldn't you be out recruiting?***

Jan 17, 2014, 9:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo, shouldn't you be out recruiting?***

Jan 17, 2014, 9:53 AM

haha

Lord, I wish I had Coach Swinney's salary for just one year. Definately not his JOB... but I would take his salary.

hmmmmm,

Jan 17, 2014, 9:44 AM

While I get what you're saying, I mostly hear him referred to on ESPN and on most radio shows as Coach Swinney, or Coach Dabo Swinney. I think he gets the respect he deserves.

If you are getting riled up over people on a message board calling him Dabo....wow is all I have to say!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

yeah, i have more respect for that man than any title could

Jan 17, 2014, 9:46 AM

EVER afford him.

dabo is a baller.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hmmmmm,

Jan 17, 2014, 9:57 AM [ in reply to hmmmmm, ]

Then you and I are watching different sports programs on tv. Well over half the time, they simply say "Dabo did this" or "Dabo said that". I pay attention to this because it just frustrates me when people refer to him by his first name. I never hear them saying "Steve did this" or "Nick said that" or "Mack resigned".

My point being, that we the fan base should start saying Coach Swinney instead of "Dabo."

Maybe I'm just too old. Let one of my players call me by my first name... it will be time for retirement. Heck, when my son played for me, even he called me "Coach". LOL

understood, but the name seems to mean more to dabo

Jan 17, 2014, 9:45 AM

than some title.

he wears it with pride as he should. the man has accomplished more than most when it seemed everything was stacked against him.

has he held onto the name his brother gave him as a constant reminder & as a show of what anyone can accomplish with the right mind set?

he preaches family, i'd say "dabo" demands much more respect than coach swinney because "dabo" has accomplished far more in life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting take...

Jan 17, 2014, 9:58 AM

... one I had not considered.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Re: His name... is Coach Swinney.

Jan 17, 2014, 9:45 AM

what gets me too is the media cant even pronounce it correctly considering it is a relatively easy name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2014, 9:46 AM

TU, Dacoach. I'm with you 100%. My wife asked me last season why the commentators or sideline reporters always called him Dabo and never Coach Swinney. I think he's earned that respect by now.

I Heard Danny Before ----

Jan 17, 2014, 9:49 AM

Years ago I heard Coach Danny Ford being called Danny
or Ford.

We always referred to him as Danny when talking about him

Jan 17, 2014, 10:01 AM

amongst friends but anytime I saw him face to face I would ALWAYS call him Coach Ford or just Coach (and still do).

Dabollcoach?...nahhh***

Jan 17, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: His name... is Coach Swinney. ]

My guess is that Coach Dabo has no problem with

Jan 17, 2014, 9:47 AM

the fans referring to him as Dabo...makes for a good chant...DABO, DABO, DABO! He's kind of like Bono, Madonna, Prince, Santa. He's got national name recognition. Something that really irritates the $hit out of the Ol Ball Sack.

I'll agree that players/player' parents etc. should refer to him as Coach _______. If I met him I'd refer to him as Coach Swinney or just plain Coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to see Dabo come out and say he doesn't

Jan 17, 2014, 9:48 AM

like to be called that. It isn't disrespectful, it is a nickname he embraces and goes by. Same with Jimbo for FSU.

That said, I'll start calling him "Dat Boy" for you because his brother couldn't say his name right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Perhaps you should ask Dabo what he prefers to be called

Jan 17, 2014, 9:49 AM

I showed respect to davidhood one time by calling him "Mr" and I was told to never call him that again (then I'm pretty sure davidhood had me sent on a Crumpcation shortly thereafter for calling him Mr). Some people prefer not to have titles attached to their name.

Dabo may or may not be one of those people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

FYI, it's just because Mr. Hood doesn't like you.

Jan 17, 2014, 9:50 AM

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't buy that explanation

Jan 17, 2014, 9:51 AM

Everybody likes me, and quite frankly I'm surprised you weren't already aware of that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Just because that's what your mommy always told you

that...well, it is always true for you.

is that what she told him...

Jan 17, 2014, 9:56 AM

cause she gave me a completely different version.

if by like you mean tolerate, i believe hartins already

Jan 17, 2014, 9:53 AM [ in reply to I don't buy that explanation ]

cleared this up in a prior post.

What did hartins say? Link to this post you speak of?***

Jan 17, 2014, 9:57 AM

you might wanna sit down for this and see if lbu will

Jan 17, 2014, 10:03 AM

pour you some of your woodford.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14930701

I find this one to be very offensive

Jan 17, 2014, 10:06 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14930782

No way in ###### would I work pro bono.

you two girls done yet!?!?

Jan 17, 2014, 10:08 AM

smh

;)

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

potato

Jan 17, 2014, 10:09 AM [ in reply to I find this one to be very offensive ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1&start=0

if my answers frighten you counselor...

Jan 17, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to I find this one to be very offensive ]

then you should cease asking scary questions.

oh, and happy friday gwp!

i thought we agreed

Jan 17, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to FYI, it's just because Mr. Hood doesn't like you. ]

to keep gwp in the dark?

Crap, I thought it was to not say who his real father was***

great...

Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 AM

you're on a roll.

why don't you just tell him everything now?

smh

are you kidding me....you're posting because people

Jan 17, 2014, 9:54 AM

call him Dabo?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you, are responding...

Jan 17, 2014, 10:00 AM

Yes, indeed.

Ironic, no?

not so much....wow....***

Jan 17, 2014, 10:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And you, are responding...

Jan 17, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to And you, are responding... ]

That's not really ironic.

Wife and I got a Golden Doodle pup about a month ago...

Named it DABO! Should have named it COACH!?!?

Only after....

Jan 17, 2014, 10:03 AM

... your dog has made substantial contributions to Clemson University.

And by that I certainly don't mean "contributions" on the lawn. Those don't count.

Someones jimmies are rustled.

null

no kidding....needs to get back in the bed and start

Jan 17, 2014, 10:02 AM

over

haha... wish I could...

Jan 17, 2014, 10:05 AM

A few more years and I'll have all day to play on this board. Unfortunately, a job and bills are calling.

Jan 17, 2014, 10:06 AM

I don't think calling him Dabo is lack of respect, things are much less formal now than when Coach Howard or Coach Ford were coaching. But ultimately, I think alot of us call him Dabo because he is one of us and we can identify with him.

Dabo is a brand

Jan 17, 2014, 10:22 AM

And a good one. If you are recognized in your firld by a single name , you are well respected and/or villianized. I will give an example.
Dabo = respected
Spurrier = villianized
(For Spurrier you could substitute : dipwad , egotistical jerkface, blazing alcoholic , smugfish, cynical blame merchant ,etc etc )

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic