Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice.

Aug 20, 2019, 11:16 AM

People that were honest told him he was a QB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice.

Aug 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

Never heard of these ladies. Who are they?

Re: Joyner. Do we need any more DBs?

Aug 20, 2019, 11:28 AM

Advice From FGF:
“Transfer portal young man. He was given opportunities here no one else was willing to give. He should transfer or either switch positions.”

Great athlete but went to SCar cause he wasn’t offered as QB at Clemson. How many “opportunity” QB snaps did he get at SCar? Might make a “motivated” DB if he transfers and plays against SCar!

Aug 20, 2019, 11:37 AM

Nope! With what we have in house and coming in, he would probably re-portal once again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Joyner. Do we need any more DBs? ]

lmfao i wondered who would be the first to ask that question. congrats. smfh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He could’ve been a great DB. He should’ve come to Clemson.

Aug 20, 2019, 11:29 AM

His NFL dreams are probably shot now. I kinda feel bad bad for him but it was his choice to make. Lol though at the thought that he was never going to lose to Clemson. Kids these days.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 11:38 AM

Recently he was listed as the #10 player in the history of low country football by somebody at the P&C.

Author cited that rankings included high school, college, and pro careers.

Meanwhile this kid can't even win the BACKUP QB job at a middle of the pack (being nice) college football program.

He was listed above guys who have made pro bowls and a potential NFL Hall of Famer or two.

I know the P&C is a joke but this kid's head was so filled up with what everyone wanted him to be that nobody sat him down to tell him that he was getting in over his head trying to play college QB.

I feel bad for the kid that nobody would or could help him out.

Aug 20, 2019, 11:46 AM

kid was a great high school qb. Just had not yet translated to college. Hope he doesn't quit. He has a good reputation in Charleston as good kid and he is obviously a heckuva athlete. I can see why usc gave him a chance at qb, it is not like they were stocked at the position. Hope the kid keeps playing ..at least somewhere

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 12:37 PM

Lying to a prospect about the position that they will fit in a program is not a rare thing.

QB's who can't throw are often recruited as QB's by lower end schools who want to get them on campus and then turn them into WRs and DBs. It helps them to get an amazing athlete in the program.

It was a commonly held belief that this was the approach that both scar and NCST (the only schools who offered him as a QB) took.

It also happens with schools who tell slow defensive linemen that they will stay on defense only to be moved to o-line. Really heavy TEs sometimes get fooled into thinking they won't be made into OTs in college. Also guys who want to play DE are told they won't move inside and then begin making that transition as soon as they get on campus most of the time.

What I'm trying to get at is that it happens all of the time but it doesn't make it right. If Joyner ever plays QB it will likely be for a losing team or one that competes at a much lower level than the power 5 schools. He is an amazing athlete but he is not a good thrower of the football.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice. ]

Actually Dabo sat him down and told him that he would be a great college football player just not a QB. he decided to follow a defensive coordinator that knows nothing about offense as evident by his offensive linemen blocking each other against Georgia Southern a few years ago.

Yeah I thought that was kind of shocking considering who

Aug 20, 2019, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice. ]

else was on the list. He was ahead of guys like Roddy White, Robert Quinn, Bruce Ellington, Dexter Coakley.

Forth those interested, here's the article:

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/the-all-time-greatest-football-players-from-charleston-area/article_953863ea-b958-11e9-8425-43f2b1839b49.html

Keith Jennings was the only former Tiger on the list.

Several Honorable Mentions though:

Andre Ellington
Byron Maxwell
John Simpson
Wayne Simmons

Thought Barry Richardson deserved at least an honorable mention. He was a 4-year starter, All-ACC, and played 6 years in the NFL.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 11:41 AM

If he had chosen Clemson to play DB he would have 2 National Championship rings and probably a contract in the NFL soon . But he did chase his Dream to play QB

Aug 20, 2019, 11:55 AM

He was only given a ride at usofc to assure he didn't end up at Clemson as a db that would have had a carrier. They were not interested in running his style.
Their keeping him from Clemson kept him from possibly 2 NC rings, and a real shot at the pros.

I saw him in the Shrine Bowl a few years ago and I told my

Aug 20, 2019, 12:33 PM

son at the time, 'He'll never play a down at QB in college'. He's a poor man's Kelly Bryant. Good athlete but not a consistent passer or decision maker. I feel for the kid 'cause he got lied to big time. The other poster is correct. They told him that to keep him from Clemson.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:25 PM

What CLEMSON fan did not know that as long as Bentley was on campus, NOBODY would start over him? We tried to warn Helsinki this would happen. He should have read t-net and we could have saved him from his bad decision.

Aug 20, 2019, 2:17 PM

and Jake starts only cause his dad is a coach. He really isnt very good. I hate he got any yards passing against our d last year. Not sure what they were doing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Hilinski named back up, Joyner misses Monday practice. ]

Looks like they don't every need to recruit another QB then. Seeing as little Jakey said "USuC would have a championship before he leaves" well seeing has they'll never have a championship he doesn't plan on leaving. So no need to every recruit another QB.

Aug 20, 2019, 12:28 PM

You mean "wasn't a QB"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 4:19 PM

This is so predictable. Anybody that has been following Gamecock football since the 1970's could see this happening from one hundred miles away. There is a an unwritten rule there.

Aug 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

So. 5head could be in for a few snaps and if things aren't going well, Hilinski could step in and play most of the game. That may even be the plan. Have 5head as a figurehead starter.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic