Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here’s the old Clemson bar shirts I mentioned below
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Here’s the old Clemson bar shirts I mentioned below

Nov 17, 2020, 1:13 PM

Me gusta.

https://www.tigertowngraphics.com/collections/throwback-bars

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Help me with some of these

Nov 17, 2020, 1:22 PM

Where were they and around what year?

Slug's
The Genoa Club
Bash Riprocks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Help me with some of these

Nov 17, 2020, 1:26 PM

The sign for Slugs was there in fall of 1995, but I don't think the bar was open. Maybe it was, but I was a freshman, and hadn't made enough connections for a fake ID at the time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where was it?

Nov 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

I am much older, so Red Carpet and The Study Hall (Original) were in my time. Nick's was new also.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College Avenue, almost across from TTT

Nov 17, 2020, 1:37 PM

Sully's steamers and tiger properties is there now. It was kind of in that clothes store next door to that as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6837173,-82.837457,3a,75y,287.4h,72.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scrZlzRlsZsLEnbBFzbQVbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Red Carpet reminds me

Nov 17, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Where was it? ]

I need to seggs the wife when I get home

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Was Nicks the ghey bar then, too?***

Nov 17, 2020, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Where was it? ]

No, that was the Studyhall

Nov 17, 2020, 1:53 PM

It was written up in Playboy as one of the top college town gay bars in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Interdasting.

Nov 17, 2020, 1:54 PM

Wonder why that guy took that name for the biggest bar on Clemson (now)?

Study Hall went gay after I left I swear

Nov 17, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to No, that was the Studyhall ]

;)

I think it was only on Thursday night or something

Nov 17, 2020, 2:06 PM

I was only in there once - met my calculus tutor there one afternoon before she started her shift.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

And even if it was

Nov 17, 2020, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Study Hall went gay after I left I swear ]

they had the best deli sandwiches in town. Now I think I understand why they called it "Steve's Special"

The pizza was good, but different than anything else in town

Nov 17, 2020, 4:15 PM

Didn't eat it much because it was expensive. And the fact that Chanelo's was the best drunk food in the history of the world.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No doubt. Chanelos got most of my business

Nov 17, 2020, 4:19 PM

we did Study Hall sandwiches/pizza on occasion, then next door at Capri's for real special occasions.

I still have a mug from the Study Hall - huge goblet thick as a brick.

The Genoa Club was the place in Goldenwoods...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Help me with some of these ]

by the pool that had chicken wings for free for Friday happy hour and stayed open late on Saturday and you had to be a "member". They ran a shuttle to and from downtown.

Bash Riprocks was a bar/restaurant that in the brown cedar complex kind of by where Hardees was where the Clemson traffic office was...University Square maybe? Memory is very fuzzy about the place, but I do remember getting food and drinks there. They also delivered and took credit cards, which was important back then. I'm pretty sure a mushroom/swiss burger from there led me to a violent toilet 180 one time. BigDaddy® might be able to conjure up some better memories of that.

Ah, the "Mini Mall" is what that place was called - built

Nov 17, 2020, 1:35 PM

when I was there. There was a gameroom/bar that I can never remember the name of, but Sourdough's was awesome for sandwich's.

Wasn’t the pool place called 4-Paws?***

Nov 17, 2020, 1:54 PM

Isaac Asimov

I think so. RH Tig confirmed

Nov 17, 2020, 1:58 PM

But it was gone before 86 when I started.

Yes, but for some reason I can never recall that name. LOL.***

Nov 17, 2020, 2:08 PM

Correct, 4 Paws.

Nov 17, 2020, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Wasn’t the pool place called 4-Paws?*** ]

It was directly above us at Quarters. We kept hiring their bartenders away.

I had finally gotten rid of those memories

Nov 17, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to The Genoa Club was the place in Goldenwoods... ]

But yes, I believe Bash Riprocks was in University Square as you mentioned. The mushroom swiss burger took someone out one night, possibly two people? Memory tells me someone else got it and didn't like it, and you finished it off, leading to referenced 180 of you puking and shitding simultaneously.

Message was edited by: BigDaddy®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep...good catch...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:45 PM

I think it was Merv Kerl.

That is my recollection as well***

Nov 17, 2020, 1:45 PM

Boll Winkles was off of Hwy 123 between

Nov 17, 2020, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Help me with some of these ]

where The Tiger Sports Shop and the Police Department are now. If you look on Google Maps, you can see the abandoned building.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was Crazy Zacks and later the Underground.

Nov 17, 2020, 2:07 PM

I'm amazed that building is still there, and still abandoned.

Re: It was Crazy Zacks and later the Underground.

Nov 17, 2020, 2:58 PM

It was the Library before all the names mentioned above

I was in there one night and a TV fell off the stand on a

Nov 17, 2020, 3:31 PM

girls head. It wasn't some teenie little flat screen, either (those didn't exist yet). It was one of those big heavyass 27" tube TV's, on a piece of plywood held up with chains. One of the chains gave way, and they thing landed right on a chicks head about 5' from me.

A buddy knew her and said that it broke one of her teeth when it hit her head, and the bar owner at the time wouldn't pay for her medical bills, and she ended up sewing the place to get any money from them to fix her tooth.

Correct.

Nov 17, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to It was Crazy Zacks and later the Underground. ]

Boll Winkles was owned by one of the Crazy Zack's owners and he wasn't allowed to use the name originally. I think the ownership group got rid of him and was able to reopen under that moniker. Still didn't last too long. Bars in the post-MADD world that weren't walking distance from campus never really fared well, I think.

Re: Help me with some of these

Nov 17, 2020, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Help me with some of these ]

Genoa Club and Bash Riprocks were around 1990. Never heard of Slug's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slugs was there then.

Nov 17, 2020, 2:38 PM

You might have known it as The Gameroom.

I reckon all of my haunts are still actaully around.***

Nov 17, 2020, 1:25 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which ones, though? I have you by a year or two,

Nov 17, 2020, 1:29 PM

and Genoa and Gameroom were the only ones in existence when I got to Clemson. Snuck into Genoa a handful of times on a fake before it became Skybox. Gameroom was...a thing. Seems like more times than not when I went there, it ended in tense situations with PIKAs who wanted to fight. Went toe-to-toe a few times inside and outside the doors there. Fortunately, never had to take a swing. Doesn't really make me want to own a Gameroom shirt.

Now, make a Sloan Street Taproom or Underground tee, and we might be talkin'. I'd probably buy an Acropolis shirt, too, because Lasagna Wednesdays will live forever in my heart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife-of was waitress in Acropolis when she was there...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:35 PM

we started dating when she was still there, which led to a lot of free food. So I got that goin for me.

I've been trying for 25 years to find or create a Greek

Nov 17, 2020, 1:38 PM

dressing as good as theirs. So far, it's been a fail.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you know my wife...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:46 PM

but what you may not know is that she can't cook for sheet...so I got noth'n for ya on that front.

But she may know somebody that somehow

Nov 17, 2020, 2:42 PM

remembers how to make it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their Greek Fries were better than anything on a salad,

Nov 17, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to I've been trying for 25 years to find or create a Greek ]

second only to the Greek Fries at Ye Olde Sandwich Shop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Underground ?

Nov 17, 2020, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Which ones, though? I have you by a year or two, ]

Man that place was a dive.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Name this place:

Nov 17, 2020, 1:39 PM

That's 19B's house with expanded parking for

Nov 17, 2020, 1:40 PM

RV visitors

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Genoa club without the big round fish bowl window

Nov 17, 2020, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Name this place: ]

I think the filled the pool, too.

I lived about 50 yards from there one time. I drank a lot of bad draft beer that year.

Did we have this conversation a month or 2 back...

Nov 17, 2020, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Name this place: ]

I'm having flashbacks.

I went by there a few months back and couldn't believe how small it looks to me now. I swear that place has some magic where the inside is a lot larger...like some kind of Harry Potter tent bs.

Yeah, we recycle it a few times a year.

Nov 17, 2020, 2:11 PM

We're pretty unoriginal. But it's still amusing.

Those were there also when I was there, although I do

Nov 17, 2020, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Which ones, though? I have you by a year or two, ]

remember riding with my Aunt when I was 7 and she was 20-ish to get her license that she had left at Boll Winkles the night before.

Only had an issue with PKA's once on Halloween at the Gameroom. Snake's chili dogs were fantastic for $0.95 and the video poker machines paid out generously.

Not sure how you'd have trouble with the PKA's at Gameroom and not the ATO's at Sloan St...those guys were total chodes and made the place pretty unbearable.

19B

Re: Here’s the old Clemson bar shirts I mentioned below

Nov 17, 2020, 2:38 PM

I was there for the last night of Tiger Den. Any Penny Annie shirts?

Re: Here’s the old Clemson bar shirts I mentioned below

Nov 17, 2020, 3:00 PM

I was there as well.

I'd bet RHTig worked at all of those...

Nov 17, 2020, 2:40 PM

Well, RH Tig ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

My list in chronological order...

Nov 17, 2020, 3:48 PM

The Bookstore
The Corporation
Boll Winkles
Edgars
Quarters

Scott Newton was the developer that built the Goldenwoods neighborhood, and started the bar there. I was renting the Rock House in Six Mile from him at the time and he tried to hire me but I was making bank at Quarters, and he had made his wife the manager and she would have made Bar Rescue Jon Taffer's head explode with the way she managed the bar. After Scott got out, then it became the Genoa Club but I think I had left Clemson about the time it changed.

Once I got back to RH, I worked the bar at For What It's Worth full time, then weekends after getting my first 'real' job. Got tired of that schedule after a while, and moved to an easy gig doing weekends at the Duke of York restaurant in downtown York for about a year before getting married. I did go back to For What It's Worth for a few years booking bands and running the Open Mic Night once a month for 3 or 4 years.

My dream had always been to own a bar. NOT a restaurant, but a bar. Times changed, liability and laws made it not worth the effort, and I'm glad I didn't go down that road. I'm much happier as a patron than an owner.

I have my old Boll Winkles shirt sewn into a t-shirt quilt, but I think I'd kinda dig a new one.

OH YEAH!

Nov 17, 2020, 3:52 PM

I also did private functions for the Clemson House because one of my roommates was the night manager there and would get me the gigs. The tips from the 'Clemson elites' were always crap, but we were paid hourly and allowed to take the opened bottles of liquor home with us, so that was a nice benefit.

I bought myself a Bollwinkles one a few weeks back

Nov 17, 2020, 2:48 PM

when I stopped by the store. It was too tempting to pass up.

Don’t need one. Still have mine from 1981 when I worked

Nov 17, 2020, 3:39 PM

there. Of course, it won’t fit over my arm now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL ... I guess you're old as chit when you pre-date the

Nov 17, 2020, 4:48 PM

throwback stuff. Nick's opened my FR year 1975, my favorite hangout. Frosted mugs and fried mushrooms. The bathroom had a good ventilation fan and you could suck down a quick joint in there... and you always left the roach on this little shelf that was way up high. Share and share alike, you know. If you were completely out, you'd feel around up there and usually find enough to get high.

I seem to recall the Red Carpet, didn't that become TTT? As somebody else said, Study Hall was a cut above and a bit more pricey. But their pizzas and subs were the best in town. T & H (Tidwell & Horace) worked there and lived on my hall, so when we ordered anything it was extra loaded. But of course the Vesuvian sub from Chanelo's was the most common go-to meal besides Harcombe...

No, neither Study Hall nor Nicks were gay when I was there. Y'all pretty boys came later I guess.

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I want a Tiger Tails one.***

Nov 17, 2020, 5:01 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic