Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here is my concern for this Clemson team so far this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Here is my concern for this Clemson team so far this year

Sep 20, 2018, 6:41 PM

1. I expected the defense to be great and I think they will be. Can't really call them great at this point due to the second half in College Station. They are just a hair shy of being great and one can argue that when you go to College Station and hold them to 13 through 3 quarters, maybe there should be more separation provided by our offense.

2. I expected the offense to be noticeably better than last year. Right now, I think they might be a tad better than last year, but I'm not sure they are even as good as last year. I thought the offensive line maturity along with a year of experience for Bryant, throw in Trevor Lawrence and I really thought with a defense like we have, there would be early separation and large score differentials by the fourth quarter.

Instead, what we have is an excellent defense, that still manages to have a bust or two that can make a game closer than it needs to be (Tex AM). Will they ever look like the Bama defense even with 4 NFL first rounders in the lineup?

And we have an offense that still sputters for a quarter and a half at times, sometimes two quarters. I know we were one yard short of hanging 35 on Tex AM in their house, but then again, we were one yard short. I can't really conceive of a 24-7 score in the 4th vs Ga Southern and they have the ball trying to cut the lead to 10, when we have a defense that is constantly giving the ball back to the offense and in pretty good field position. I think the biggest problem with the offense is the offensive line. They have been the disappointment. Quarterback, running back and receiver play has been pretty good. Play calling, you'd have to ask someone that knows Xs and Os more than me. I trust that our staff (4 ACC Titles, 1 National Title, 1 Runner-up, and 1 Semifinal) knows what plays to call.

I am still thrilled with this team. They are 3-0 and have provided a thrilling win over the SEC West's Texas AM Aggies in a packed house. The above are just concerns. It might be worth mentioning that I had the same offensive and defensive concerns in 2016 (The year of our second national title) and 2017 (our third playoff appearance year). But, as of now, these are concerns.

Hope the defense has its traditional great performance vs GT, but anyone can have an off day. If they are off, and the Tech offense can methodically score, not sure our offense will keep up. Like I said, just concerns. We have beaten Tech 3 in a row and 6 of last 8. We routed them in some of those games, but the last two years we have only scored 24 and 26 against them.
Like I said, just concerns.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is my concern for this Clemson team so far this year

Sep 20, 2018, 6:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 20, 2018, 7:02 PM

Valid concerns. It will be interesting to see how the team evolves this year.

In the cfp for 15 and 16 the team seemed to play on another level.

Last year we peaked in the acc cg and came out flat in the playoff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about the 15 and 16 teams. They did play on

Sep 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

another level than the 17 playoff team and current team.

Statistically speaking...

Sep 20, 2018, 7:02 PM

The offense is actually much better and much more efficient than last year’s but don’t let that get in the way of the narrative.

It is hard to imagine being worse than last year.

Sep 20, 2018, 8:58 PM

Last year was a huge drop off from 2016.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Proverbs 16:18

It’s currently 9th in S&P+

Sep 20, 2018, 9:01 PM

Compared to in the 40’s last year.

legitimate points - agree more so with ones about offense***

Sep 20, 2018, 7:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with you on more so on the offense. I have to remember

Sep 20, 2018, 7:29 PM

the Bama defenses of the past three years had their days where they did give up point totals to Ole Miss, Auburn once in a while. I should probably cut our d a little slack. I do think they are an elite defense.

Re: Agree with you on more so on the offense. I have to remember

Sep 20, 2018, 8:34 PM

Btw- good post!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will never "look" like Alabama because we don't use PEs

Sep 20, 2018, 7:38 PM

like Alabama.

Re: We will never "look" like Alabama because we don't use PEs

Sep 20, 2018, 7:58 PM

What’s pe?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2018, 8:03 PM

Physical exercise

Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: We will never "look" like Alabama because we don't use PEs ]

Enhancements. You figure out the “P” and it will tell a lot about you.

Sep 20, 2018, 10:43 PM

Some, like Mark Ingram, have to keep it going in the pros.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Normally, I don't like to use an excuse like that, but they

Sep 20, 2018, 8:04 PM [ in reply to We will never "look" like Alabama because we don't use PEs ]

really do look like something is up. Their players do have that look.

Re: Normally, I don't like to use an excuse like that, but they

Sep 20, 2018, 8:25 PM

Thanks, I get it now. As for the D. Marcus Edmond, Ryan Carter, and mostly DOD.

As for aTm game, I know we had some long drives but that punter they had was a weapon and perhaps kept our point total down. We should have kicked a fg on that goal line fumble... on the road, take the points.

Offense, is about the same imo. More explosive once TL gets the experience. Losing some cohesion with two qbs. OL needs to get ticked off and play like it. Tee needs to become better.

DW4 was just that special and made JS and TE look like A+ coaches.

We All See That

Sep 20, 2018, 11:51 PM

The hope is we have a pattern every year of starting slow. Plus our observation that we are playing many, giving them experience for the long haul.

Our slow starts are designed, they are not incidental.

Sep 21, 2018, 12:25 AM

Why blow someone out? The POC doesn't consider scores, just wins and losses and opponents. It makes no sense to work starters who don't need the work because they've been sharing time with previous starters especially during the early part of two or three of the previous years. It also increases the probability they will suffer injury.

This all seems so obvious to me that I'm getting impatient with those who can't see it and just about ready to say they are suffering emotional issue which interrupt their ability to think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In your concern about Clemson you say -

Sep 21, 2018, 12:10 AM

"Right now, I think they might be a tad better than last year but I'm not sure they are even as good as last year."

Huh? Say what??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2018, 2:22 AM

What type of program do they want to be. If winning and dominating is our goal then we should be held to the highest standards. I love Clemson even when we were mediocre and barley getting bye so called cupcakes (Gamecocks). Now were trending in that elite category so the pressures and standards are intense.

Lets be real the D line is elite and even held their own against BAMA before the TO busted the game open. But our secondary is average with no shut down corners. Pretty good linebackers but not elite secondary. Be Real

OL needs to get #### physical. They play to soft and missed to many assignments to be considered elite. Coaches must get them going North and South and get that blood in their mouth in order to get these dominate (IE Pit-bull training) Please note if I offend you I apologize. I'm sending this message from Afghanistan and we get shot at every night.

Offense your receivers are huge, throw the ball up. Run Travis north and south a little. to talented to play gimmick read option crap. Line up power it or line up sling it. ( if they blitz to much drop off screens. if they sit in zones TL shred)

Lets be great!!!

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic